1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suited

suited Senior member

Zegna wool&cashmere dual vent
    [​IMG]
    HF
    [​IMG]
    HF 'Bespoke' Line. Maybe I'll find the pants next weekend.
    [​IMG]
    Paul Stuart Full Tux (48" waist)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

@Snoogz
    [​IMG]

I've come across this weave/fabric/pattern before, what is it called?

The Canali below, 56L (EU) by any chance?
    [​IMG]

3. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

4. Takai

Takai Senior member

Current Dolce and Gabbana mainline trousers, black Wool/Silk blend NWT and Unhemmed, or Current PRPS Grey Selvedge NWT? Both are the same price, and can only grab one, the Dolce is in my size, the Prps is 36x34 I believe.

Also, how is the quality of Dolce's Suiting? I dont actually own anything except a couple undershirts from them.

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Please let's go back to using spoilers instead of quoting and re-posting someone else's entire post k thanks.

6. vexco

vexco Senior member

flat-front D&G's?

7. runyourchain

Atlnoob how does one accomplish this in mobile?

Btw you just quoted and reposted my entire post while you were frowning upon it. I get your point and try to live by that but on mobile that did not come up as an option.

8. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

Some of the more effing bonkers things to come up over the past two weeks..
    .[​IMG]
    Chester Barrie for gieves & hawkes flat front suit, 38. Waistband a little effed up, but belts to the rescue :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found four ties too :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pop! Moment of silence for the dead one next to it :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

POPPPPP :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. aglose

aglose Senior member

You can just type in ["SPOILER"] AND ["/SPOILER"]
    Without the quotes it will appear as:

1 person likes this.
  10. runyourchain

Thanks aglose

Didn't work when i just tried it. I'll stick to doing what I know and if the one time in 6 months I've annoyingly quoted someone the wrong way they can block me.

I'm old and not very savvy with computers/phones

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  11. aglose

aglose Senior member

^Gotta remove the "" to get it to work. I put those in to show you what the text looks like, if you don't put those in it comes up as an actual spoiler.

1 person likes this.
  12. Takai

Takai Senior member

Yes, I believe so, will run back in the morning to check, and grab pictures

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately found some damage on the BBGF

14. runyourchain

thanks for teaching an old dog new tricks

Aglose

3 people like this.
  15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Pretty sure I found one of those about a year ago. Loved the colors and thought I could make the fit work. Ended up redonating it once I started lurking on waywrn and realized how off the fit was.

Also, interesting synergy: I also found a PRL vintage hand rolled while on vaca.

--
    Edit: dude, fishy, that attolini and billy Reid are awesome. My size too. Discipline... discipline...

--

A Dude here passed on a tip to me about a PRL/Corn herringbone suit. 44L and I was hoping it would work, but its def too long and prolly too big. I'm really trying to be disciplined and not waste money tailoring things just so I can have yet another suit I wear once a year, So if it works for someone here, happy to pass along at cost.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  16. ndifelic

ndifelic Member

17. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Hi RYC - please see above re: spoilering. As far as quoting & reposting, I meant not including someone else's stack of photos in a reply...i.e: someone posts their 15 or 20-photo haul, then someone else replies to that post and those 15 or 20 pics get reposted. Sorry, wasn't singling you out - yours was just the most recent of the trend. [​IMG]

18. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Apologize if you believe this post is out of place on this thread, however, GMMCL has pointed out on a number of threads that the gorge of a jacket, as much as any other factor, dates the jacket and reduces its overall desirability. (When I joined style forum last year, I had no idea what a gorge even was.) Other factors, such as shoulder padding, lapel width and more are also factors, but in some ways, those are better understood. I asked him if he would explain his view on gorge in a PM and he sent me a nice explanation with accompanying photos. I took his photos, made them all the same size so they were easier to compare and then tried to illustrate his points with overlays. So any credit for the thought work here should go to Greg. Any errors are mine.

I hope his tutorial helps you as much as it did me.

First of all, what the heck is the gorge? When I first started looking into this, I believed it was just the tailors name for the notch. However, in this thread over at AAAC (http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?51688-blazer-gorge ), Chris Despos explained and Alex P. illustrated that the gorge is technically “the line where the collar and lapel are joined”, ending at the notch.

With that in mind, this first photo outlines a current style jacket and labels the relevant parts of the jacket.

[​IMG]

There are three factors to consider:
    Gorge placement (How high the point of the notch is)
    Gorge angle (How acute/narrow (think fish mouth) is the angle of the seam from the point of the lapel)
    Direction and size of the Notch (at different points, the notch widened and narrowed, and in some appeared to point down, instead of down.

Those factors are demonstrated here in this graphic. Note that the yellow dashed line in all subsequent graphics is as the shoulder line to give us a comparison point in all the photos.

Note in red, the dashed line that goes from notch to notch. The small red line between the yellow line and the red line shows the placement of the gorge. On the right lapel, I’ve put the angle of the notch there which will be used to compare in other jackets. On the left lapel, the angle of the notch is highlighted.

[​IMG]

This is just about as classic as it gets: mid gorge placement, facing shoulder, Notch is approximately ~90 degrees:
    [​IMG]

Low Gorge:
    This next photo is of a Hickey Freeman Cashmere jacket. This is an example of a low gorge: Look how low on the jacket the gorge rests.
    • Note the line connecting the notches and how much lower it is relative to the yellow shoulder line.
    • The angle of the gorge is also radically different. For reference, the white dashed lines are the same angle as our reference jacket above. The red line is the angle of this jacket. Not quite double, but radically more vertical than the reference angle.
    • Finally, on the left notch, I’ve overlaid the notch angle from above, the red dashed line shows that this jacket is more open than the reference jacket.

[​IMG]

High Gorge:
    This is about the best example I have. Not dramatic, but if you compare it to the one above above, you can see the difference. Notice how the line connecting the notches is exactly on the shoulder line.. It's even higher with more "fashonable" Italian labels. However, the gorge angle and the notch angle are identical to the reference jacket.

[​IMG]

Wide or Down-pointing Notch:
    Acute, almost fish-mouth gorge (suits from the 70s are even worse, plus they face downwards -- very dated). Note that even though the height is between our reference and our high examples, the notch angle is more open and pointing down more.

[​IMG]

The Age Trifecta:
    And here's the trifecta: Low gorge placement, slightly acute gorge angle, and downward facing. This is very typical of Oxxford even until recently and it makes the suit look SUPER dated.

[​IMG]

And finally, all the jackets side by side.

[​IMG]

Hopefully this post will contribute to your thrift store shopping success.

12 people like this.
  19. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Hit a few stores on Saturday and came out damn near empty-handed. All available for cost + shipping + small markup unless marked otherwise.

Uniqlo foulard-esque print, small, Wrangler cowboy shirt for my Stampede rotation (N/A), RG (tasteful by RG standards), medium

[​IMG]

Uniqlo available at cost + shipping, not much value there but figured the pattern was cool enough that someone would want it.

[​IMG]

Riggs & Bancroft "Malte" belt, medium

[​IMG]

Viyella plaid robe, untagged but mediumish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would've been my first Belvest find but it was totally destroyed, had to leave it behind. Out of curiosity, anyone know how old this label would be?

[​IMG]

20. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Is the belvest an overcoat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.