• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been ages since I posted but since I have scored so much I had to share. I have a spot that puts stuff aside for me and this time it was CRAZY.
MUVU5cvg_original.jpg

Gucci garment bag and wallet.
TPhrOAqv_original.jpg
Hermes ties, liberty of London ties
sQ1FIGJ-_original.jpg

2 polo Ralph Lauren cashmere shawl cardigans (my favorite)
dJ+v1lKk_original.jpg

Bergdorf goodman Indian beaded Levis
h1-_J0D2_original.jpg

huUXPKxG_original.jpg

BY05CFt1_original.jpg

Brioni jacket
D6Reno94_original.jpg

Ferragammo cashmere sweater
AaSpcbeu_original.jpg
brunello cuccinelli cashmere.
And more not pictured, Paul Stuart Alpaca and cashmeres, YSL and Ralph Lauren shirts and belts etc.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if anyone in MN finds a reverse orphan pair of Kiton pinstripe pants please PM me I want to reunite this suit!!

tonylamer

Reaction score
It's been ages since I posted but since I have scored so much I had to share. I have a spot that puts stuff aside for me...

This is where someone posts that gif with the guy banging his head against a wall.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a spot that puts stuff aside for me

:brick:

if anyone in MN finds a reverse orphan pair of Kiton pinstripe pants please PM me I want to reunite this suit!!

Reverse orphan - so I'm looking for a Kiton jacket? Wow - first Lobbs and now Kiton? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shout out to ceasarc I don't even mind it took so long to ship I love the shoes
Also I bought a black belt from someone on here like 4 weeks ago and have yet to get anything or hear any update I am not mad given my own tendency for super slow shipping but if you could just pm me to l me know when it's going out...

+1 cesar is awesome!

no lobbs today, but i did find 2 pairs of bruno maglis. and a few other things deets later, hopefully.

aglose

Reaction score

Is this not the sulka I'm looking for?

Last edited:

aglose

Reaction score

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is where someone posts that gif with the guy banging his head against a wall.

Haha, I got great personal relationships with my local spots and I know ALL the stores around me and when to be there for the best stuff.don't hate because Im connected in this thrift game lol

sthenosall

Reaction score
Stopped by one of my favorite spots today. Not a bad haul for only a half hour, but nothing crazy, just had to brag a little since I'm about 6 beers deep and bored on a Friday night!
Some shirts. My first Borrelli, I want so bad to make it work, a 15.5 and I typically wear a 15. I'm going to see what I can do. Also, a VV dress shirt, fits perfectly. Is this worth keeping (quality wise)? I like their stuff for casual wear but I've never had a dress shirt by them.

The borrelli may be available, not sure yet.

Also found a few decent pairs of pants.
It ant let me rotate for some reason, sorry.
Bothe are available.
Black wool canali. Pleated with no cuff and plenty of room to let out the legs. 36X30. Could be a 36X32 easily.
Also had to pick up some NWT polo cords. 34X30. Navy. Too wide but I couldn't let them go

Also picked up a pair of NWT patagonia running short. My size. Perfect for the gym. Actually really excited to find these!

And finally, I found this belt a while back and forgot about it.
I don't know anything about leather. I was hoping someone on here could shed some light on it. It says 100% nile crocodile. Made in S. Africa. Black.
It's big, somewhere around a 46. But for 99 cents I couldn't let it go. Is it anything worth while? Just going by feel and look it seems like genuine croc, but I honestly have no idea. Also, if its real could I have it shortened? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Nile crocodile.

Made in S. Africa.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:brick:
Reverse orphan - so I'm looking for a Kiton jacket? Wow - first Lobbs and now Kiton? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Nope I got the jacket, pinstripe grey double breasted awesomeness. Found it at a Value Village if that helps. Alongside a few Canali suits so keep your eyes open!

ScottW

Reaction score

T
Is there then a sulka I'm not looking for?

Yes, the kind I ran across last week. The Sulka that's abused/neglected to the point that there's not even enough salvageable material for a bowtie conversion. My first Sulka found in the wild and I had to leave it. So sad.

staxringold

Reaction score

Yes, the kind I ran across last week. The Sulka that's abused/neglected to the point that there's not even enough salvageable material for a bowtie conversion. My first Sulka found in the wild and I had to leave it. So sad.

The first Sulka I ever found was that way too. Found others subsequently, but it does suck.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: San Diego eh.....two trips planed out that way in August. Never had much luck... now I know way
lol8[1].gif

2 things from my quick 1 day trip to Long Island.

I dont usually pick up Le Collezioni but this was CHEAP and pretty cool. Needs another round of steaming though

Orphan (4 buttons) but the material is so bad ass and soft!

PS - New amazing Lowel lights and real background (vs sheet) make my life SOOO much easier.

Last edited:

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo peeps! I was on vacation for 3 weeks and came back to more than a 1000 posts. Too many to read right now but I'll try to go back to review.

FYI: This is a bit of a long post so be warned.

We were down in a small corner of the Pacific Northwest, near Bellingham WA. We go there almost every year and love it. I've posted a few vacation photos at the end of this, just so they don't get in the way of thrift finds.

First off, a great big THANK YOU to 1oftheCoolKids! He definitely is cool. We weren't going to make it down to his stomping grounds in Seattle so he drove up not once, but twice, to Bellingham, and we hit the thrifts together. His kindness and generosity in the stuff he found (and gave me) and the techniques and advice he shared was extraordinary. 'nuff said!

It was interesting to see how Value Village and Goodwill are run compared to the ones in my town. We (my family) also hit up a Buffalo Exchange (which we don't have) and picked up some everyday wear.

So, on to the finds...

Vintage LL Bean bomber jacket with sheepskin lining. I saw some "vintage" ones online but none with this label. The leather is in mint condition but there are a few holes (maybe moths?) in the cuffs and waist band.

PRL Safari shirt with belt.

LL Bean chinos. Woolrich herringbone hunting pants

Belts. From the top, no name ladies, Coach, Trafalgar, Tony Lama's with scorpion buckle

Ties, some to flip, some to keep. From left, vintage BB Makers, Stefano Ricci, Dolce & Gabbana, Kiton, Hermes, Charvet, Charvet, Duchamo, Viyella, Austin Reed

Now, finds for for me...

Two vintage (mid/late-1960s) SCs. Red one is 3-roll-2 with big MOP buttons; Blue herringbone has hacking pockets and a ticket pocket.

A few shirts (the first 2, along with the pants) courtesy of 1ofTheCoolKids. Top down, Massimo Dutti (linen), Troglodyte Homunculus, Jack Spade, Jack Spade, Wings & Horns westpoint chinos.

Bellingham, WA has some of the best used bookstores I've ever seen. I am on a noir kick so picked a few up, along with some others.

Craig Rice was a pseudonym for Georgiana Ann Craig. The Lucky Stiff is from 1945 and reads like The Thin Man - lots of cocktails and snappy dialogue. Great descriptions of clothing, the women's in particular, especially since a key plot point has to do with a woman's outfit. It included this great line:

He examined his clothes and made up his mind that when he located the man who'd thrown the bomb, he would stick him for the price of a new Finchley suit and a Sulka tie.

Finally, vacation pictures...

We drove, roundtrip, almost 2,800 miles. We stayed in a friend's cabin right in the shadow of Mt. Baker, a mostly dormant volcano in the North Cascades chain. The mountain dominates the landscape and can be seen from Victoria and Vancouver in British Columbia, and in the northwest corner of the state.

We always head up to a look-out, Artist's Point, to see the mountain and it's neighbour, Mt. Shuksan. The lookout has held several world's records for Most Annual Snowfall. These next pictures were taken 7 days ago. The road to the point had only been cleared of snow the week before.

Finally, we were only 45 minutes from the coast. We went whale watching one afternoon. We travelled through the San Juan Islands out a bit into the Straight of Juan de Fuca. Just that morning a family of transient orcas (killer whales) had killed a 30 foot mike whale and were feeding on it (the minke whale was submerged). We watched them feed and play for over an hour. The naturalist with us also put a microphone into the water and we heard them calling to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads