• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I had a most memorable (and slightly disturbing) encounter at a GW near my office. I stopped by after a meeting to check out their shoes and ties and while perusing their ties a woman came up and began looking as well. I had a Vineyard Vines in hand and she asked me what it was, I showed her. She proclaimed that she always liked their ties. As she was talking about VV she picked out a Robert Talbott BOC I had left behind (I very rarely pick them up as I have become rather selective and most simply don't do it for me) and ased if I liked it. I said it was alright but she could have it. It was at this point that things got interesting. She said she liked it because it would make a great addition to her quilt. I asked her what she meant by this. She proceed to explain that she used to shop for ties for her husband who has passed away several years ago and she couldn't bring herself to stop. So, instead of stopping, she continued to look for the quality ties he used to wear. She explained that she would buy the ties and then deconstruct them, using the silk as a sort of patch for her quilts. She would apparently take the labels and put them around the edges as a sort of border! I asked her if she used the best ties for this, she replied that only the best would do because that's all her husband would wear. Apparently she has been deconstructing Hermès, Charvet, Kiton, Borrelli and the like because that's what her husband wore! I was partly moved and partly horrified! I'm really not sure what to think. I do wonder, however, what that quilt will end up looking like!

Like an ammo bag.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh. Quote didn't work.
Spoo: you know it. Last week yielded a new in box remote controlled generator. Not that it didn't cost me, but worth it. (Needless to say, hit me if you are in the area)
Re green screen walls: that is an AWESOME idea I can believe I didn't think of!

Oshuns919

Reaction score
Recent Finds All Available.

Eton 2 times.

From L to Right
Sulka, Sulka, Robert Talbot(London), Christian Dior

Also cool Yale Tie

From L to Right
Givenchy, Hermes and Italo Ferrelli

Gucci, Knit Zegna and Stripped Zegna Tie

NWT Drakes, Lanvin(Right one?) and NWT Etro Vintage Tie

DKNY, Brioni

Skeet Rag Large

Thomas Pink

Black Flat Front Santorelli

Zegna Su Misura

chiron

Reaction score
Today I had a most memorable (and slightly disturbing) encounter at a GW near my office. I stopped by after a meeting to check out their shoes and ties and while perusing their ties a woman came up and began looking as well. I had a Vineyard Vines in hand and she asked me what it was, I showed her. She proclaimed that she always liked their ties. As she was talking about VV she picked out a Robert Talbott BOC I had left behind (I very rarely pick them up as I have become rather selective and most simply don't do it for me) and ased if I liked it. I said it was alright but she could have it. It was at this point that things got interesting. She said she liked it because it would make a great addition to her quilt. I asked her what she meant by this. She proceed to explain that she used to shop for ties for her husband who has passed away several years ago and she couldn't bring herself to stop. So, instead of stopping, she continued to look for the quality ties he used to wear. She explained that she would buy the ties and then deconstruct them, using the silk as a sort of patch for her quilts. She would apparently take the labels and put them around the edges as a sort of border! I asked her if she used the best ties for this, she replied that only the best would do because that's all her husband would wear. Apparently she has been deconstructing Hermès, Charvet, Kiton, Borrelli and the like because that's what her husband wore! I was partly moved and partly horrified! I'm really not sure what to think. I do wonder, however, what that quilt will end up looking like!

Last week I was at one of the GW on my home route. After spending about 20 min not finding anything I was getting ready to leave. As always I look behind the counter for returns and be hold I see 3 ties. I asked the manager who was at the counter to take a look. He brings back three Hermes ties, two without labels and one needing restitching. He proceeds to tell me that there are two old ladies that buy ties for a craft projects at this store. And that this week they are making some sort of quilt thing. Made me wonder why they would need ties with labels if they are making quilts.

One another note here is a frankenstein Tie by RT.

Last edited:

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent Finds All Available.

Eton 2 times.

From L to Right
Sulka, Sulka, Robert Talbot(London), Christian Dior

Also cool Yale Tie

From L to Right
Givenchy, Hermes and Italo Ferrelli

Gucci, Knit Zegna and Stripped Zegna Tie

NWT Drakes, Lanvin(Right one?) and NWT Etro Vintage Tie

DKNY, Brioni

I was with you all the way up until the DKNY tie, then I was all like
crazy.gif

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
hooker4186- awesome finds! That B Sons sweater Creep shirt are great. The Gerry vest is a beauty as well.

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Fishy went thrifting. A semi-decent day. Still not Seattle caliber, but I'll take what I can get at this point. All available. Any hat guys in the house? Vintage Borsalino. I don't know that much about hats, but this appears to be quite nice. Size 5, which I've gathered is a french size, so US size 7 & 1/8.
Cool find. Borsalino has made a couple of hats like this for Tracht, traditional clothing. I think they're pretty desired.
its going to look like a big line of bullshit. Her quilt is her feedback score.
Boom, roasted. +1...my first thought as well. GMMcL: Can't wait to hear more about this sale!! Big shout out to SpooPoker for sending me a box of awesome! My doorbell rang and I open it to see the postman with a USPS box which always has me quickly racking my brain trying to remember what I ordered. My dog was curious and trotted over to stick his head out and see who it was. Apparently this postman, filling in for someone else, was terrified of dogs. His eyes got huge and he ran backwards quite a few steps. I had to tell him that he's friendly, but there was no way he really believed that. He basically tossed me the box and the scanner to sign. I felt bad but couldn't help to laugh. Does this guy look scary??
I guess he could be, under the right circumstances....

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fairly ordinary day today, punctuated by a couple of interesting things.

Two 5ml perfume minis: Versace L'Homme and Grossmith Phul-Nana. The Phul-Nana is vintage with a bakelite cap, probably from the 20s or 30s, and is full. The local perfumistas reckon this is an insane find.

Ayrton Senna suede driving shoes by Diadora. Near mint, size US9.5/UK9?EU43

Z Zegna shirt

No-brand tie. I like the pattern and hand of this, so I grabbed it. Does the label look familiar to anyone.

Batch of 10 wooden hangers for $6, that I grabbed because I need them now I'm finding all these suits and coats all of a sudden.

Had to leave behind a Georgio Armani black label sports coat (by Vestimenta) because although a 42, it was just too weirdly long. Also left suits by Corneliani and Zegna that were just not in good enough shape.

Stewie

Reaction score

I don't know. I swear I saw an online article (maybe PTO) about a quilt made from amazing ties.
And there's this.

From having a wife that does do quilting, the tie quilts are quite common and they enjoy making them. They dont use old polyesters, and always look for silk ties.
At least mine know what brands not to use...story sounds legit to me as well.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sort of slim pickins lately, but hey.

Does anyone know the maker of the tux? Going to post in the labels thread but since Im here...

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking dog HansderHund! I'd give him a big ol' hug if I saw him at the door. :nodding:

Friskydingo

Reaction score
Hans, LOVE your Airedale. I had two growing up a long with a standard poodle. I desperately wish my current lifestyle allowed me enough time and space to have another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads