• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthenosall

Reaction score
Wow, I would not expect such disdain from such a friendly group. I have been thrifting since college years ago and just so happen to enjoy reading this thread and posting now and again. Don't believe me if you so choose. But it was a very unique experience I felt like conveying to a group that I identify with. What do I gain by making this up? A couple responses on a thread? Sorry but that's not something I value. I have been around here long enough to know Spoo is a very respected member and honestly it hurts to hear that. I just enjoy seeing the finds and throwing out my occasional finds as well as cool pieces I think others may be interested in. I honestly had hoped that this was the place a story like mine could be appreciated rather than mocked and discredited.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wow, I would not expect such disdain from such a friendly group. I have been thrifting since college years ago and just so happen to enjoy reading this thread and posting now and again. Don't believe me if you so choose. But it was a very unique experience I felt like conveying to a group that I identify with. What do I gain by making this up? A couple responses on a thread? Sorry but that's not something I value. I have been around here long enough to know Spoo is a very respected member and honestly it hurts to hear that. I just enjoy seeing the finds and throwing out my occasional finds. I honestly had hoped that this was the place a story like mine could be appreciated rather than mocked and discredited.

I appreciate your story. I dont think you are making it up at all.

She is though.

Friskydingo

Reaction score
Last edited:

sthenosall

Reaction score

I appreciate your story. I dont think you are making it up at all.

She is though.

I'm sorry if I came off wrong with my response, I probably should have re-read your comment before replying. I would be suspicious as well but she looked to be in her 70's or 80's and I have a hard to believing she was lying. Regardless she knew her ties and again I didn't mean to cause any problems or start anything, just wanted to share a unique experience. And congrats on the ferrari, very few can claim such success.

Greg613

Reaction score

Wow, I would not expect such disdain from such a friendly group. I have been thrifting since college years ago and just so happen to enjoy reading this thread and posting now and again. Don't believe me if you so choose. But it was a very unique experience I felt like conveying to a group that I identify with. What do I gain by making this up? A couple responses on a thread? Sorry but that's not something I value. I have been around here long enough to know Spoo is a very respected member and honestly it hurts to hear that. I just enjoy seeing the finds and throwing out my occasional finds as well as cool pieces I think others may be interested in. I honestly had hoped that this was the place a story like mine could be appreciated rather than mocked and discredited.

I think everyone was saying she made it up, not you.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We weren't calling you out, sthenosall. We were calling her out. (Edit: as everyone else beat me to saying :))

Last edited:

sthenosall

Reaction score

I was going to link this after that suspicious story. I was horrified when I saw it listed on etsy.

I believe she told you that, but she is probably flipping them. I heard a similar story from someone who "made them into belts". Same ties listed in my zip code at the end of the week. Coincidence? Maybe.

It very well could be! I will check on the bay this weekend and see, It would be impossible forget the rather ugly BOC she picked up!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
.​

.​

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm sorry if I came off wrong with my response, I probably should have re-read your comment before replying. I would be suspicious as well but she looked to be in her 70's or 80's and I have a hard to believing she was lying. Regardless she knew her ties and again I didn't mean to cause any problems or start anything, just wanted to share a unique experience. And congrats on the ferrari, very few can claim such success.

Thanks man. Ive since reupholstered the seats in a patchwork of labels which I sold to get it.

:lol:

RockyTop

Reaction score
Yeah, let me be clear: We did NOT choose that color. We just haven't gotten up the $/energy to repaint that room since it's not heated/air conditioned and is only used for my office/storage.

As it is it'd make a great "green screen"

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a decent day.

In the future please ensure that no feet pics are uploaded... Thanks
crazy.gif
mwink[1].gif

That H by Hilfiger jacket is nice, that was their higher end line. I think they shut it down though.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope I'm still in rural Michigan that is what tripped me out random farmers son wearing haute couture
Kanye would be proud.
Had a decent day.

Not sure if I should have passed on this - H Hilfiger made in Italy black velvet jacket, dual vented ticket pocket 3 roll 2. 42L. I can return - should I?
This is an automatic pass...TO ME!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, dude, when you thrift long enough, you'll had run into all kinds of people. I'm not saying she's lying but I'm sure in **** hell don't believe her. Just like that link to the Sulka ties quilted whatever, it looks cool but I don't see any indication that those ties are Sulka.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had a decent day.

Not sure if I should have passed on this - H Hilfiger made in Italy black velvet jacket, dual vented ticket pocket 3 roll 2. 42L. I can return - should I?

H was indeed their higher line. Never Kiton quality, but decent. WEnt downhill. I have a shirt from the first run and love it

In the future please ensure that no feet pics are uploaded... Thanks

+1

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads