1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

WTF!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. PdxTony43

PdxTony43 Member

Ohh ya ok thanks for the feedback,
    yep definitely an orphan BUT for $4.50?! It seemed to me grab it and visit a few times over the next few days to see if I can complete it or just sell it
    The ties,.. well for under 3.99 ea seems i can sell it for at least that.
    In all honesty i was shocked to find 3 EZ in a day.

Also whats the difference between outdated and classic ....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  3. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

Oh good, you look just like your profile pic (both of them)

[​IMG]

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

I agree with this too, I love seeing how people put together fits with thrifted items. And that seemed to work for quite a long time......

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

LOL

Exactly the look I was going for.

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Here's a pic of me, taken four years ago today.

I cringe when thinking about what I wore that day: black suit, off white shirt. Not stylish at all, thanks to Mens Wearhouse. If this were today, the outfit would've been vastly different.

[​IMG]

7. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

I would have grabbed the jacket for reasons you stated and skipped the rest.

"Classic" means it doesn't strongly adhere to trends/fads going on at the time it was made. It would be medium gorge, medium lapel thickness, medium length, medium shoulders, 2 (or 3 but some would disagree) button. You could wear it today and it wouldn't look outdated.

"Dated" means it is not "classic" and follows trends/fads of the time it was made. Which makes it out of style. Think of the super wide lapels of the 70s or the 80s power suits with huge shoulders.

8. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

I was just joking with you, as you come across as a full time Denim head. I wash my jeans in a machine, only jeans in a wash. And do not have these issues.

@Fueco Did i say this thread would not be ready??? well?
    I said that (most) of you guys in this thread have the best knowledge and taste. I do not care for Lycra. but enjoy seeing you enjoy what you do.

The website is a showcase of how people dress in a place other than the WAYWT thread. And to show that here, my style works, slamming it on SF "CM" terms makes others look like a fool. Day to day, i look damned good. It's to do with context and your surroundings. And i thrift what i wear, then post thrift fits. Simple.

I Have been nothing but kind to others, and stood up for myself against trolls. (like a few days ago)

So if having integrity makes me the only member you don't like? i'm not missing out.
    Yes there are members who are Dicks, and want to fight with me because they are bored. or narrow minded, but still think they know it all. then i look at their fits? and all is right with the world.

@troika i will pm you on face book.
    @wilay05 this is more to the mark:
    http://www.style-arena.jp/en/tokyo-streetstyle/omotesando/2013/5/4/7250

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Quote: Ready implies that everyone should get there at some point. And that's the height of arrogance.

10. Mr_Elusive

Mr_Elusive Well-Known Member

I've been looking for something like this...

Not a thrift but I kopped this warlock on flea-bay a little while ago. Silk bill/document holder, BNWT 29 bones.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Senior member

It's all about the attitude. I prefer to see fits too as this thread I thought was about personal acquisition first, flipping second. Plus it helps me imagine what the outerwear actually looks like on someone which doesn't make it seem as bad to me. Finally, how are people going to improve if they can't get criticism, learn from it, and come back with an improved look.

Maybe I can propose kind of an informal rule: If you post a fit pic, expect criticism, and that's that. If you criticize a fit pic, criticize it for its fit, quality, colors, cost, whatever, not for what type of item it is. Just assume the OP likes the type of item and you aren't going to be able to move mountains to sway them to the promised land.

Hypothetical example: What to do: to Fueco - I don't like that aloha shirt you posted, it looks too big, the colors clash with something else you are wearing, I think that brand is a lower end shirt, you paid too much, etc. What not to do: to Fueco - I don't like that aloha shirt, aloha shirts are stupid and aren't trendsetting. Get a Keaton collar shirt with a grenadine tie.

Another: to Wes - I don't like that tweed jacket, the lapels are huge, you are wearing the same color shirt so it all blends together, etc. NOT Wes - tweed jackets are for 70 year old men. Stop wearing them. Put on a black RLBL suit with 1/2" lapels and get with the 21st century.

In no way do I think anyone is going to listen to me, but if everyone does, we can post fit pics, get helpful and constructive criticism about our fits, we aren't like the dictators of the WAYWRN thread, and no more rants. Win win win win.

2 people like this.
  12. rms340

rms340 Senior member

SWD slammed you earlier today and then you called all of them noobs to the style game, and that in 2 years they'd catch up to you. At this point you are looking like the fool.

3 people like this.
  13. Towers

Towers Senior member

Nick Wooster is not/has never been CM. He fits under the "streetwear" part of "Streetwear and Denim". Putting a tie on doesn't automatically make you CM.

This is an internet site dedicated to menswear, how did you think people would not be slapfighting about the stupidest, most minute aspects of dressing (how many "do you wear an undershirt?" threads have devolved into name calling? [the answer is "all of them"]). If you don't want feedback, don't post, if you think the feedback is mean spirited, take notes from this guy.
    [​IMG]

Face meltingly trad.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. troika

troika Senior member

I know this is by no means a unique opinion, but every time I look at JP street style the only thing I think is "holy shit Japan is next level everything"

38R, my Japan trip is coming in 2015. Hide your daikiz and vizvimz

3 people like this.
  15. troika

troika Senior member

Turtleneck and 2" cuffs? Hella #menswear 2013.

1 person likes this.
  16. Musicled

Musicled Active Member

I don't know whether I should bow to the awesomenecity or hit the pepto bismol bottle like it's New Years.
    I kinda feel like both.

Amazing feat though!

Since today is the first day of spring, I suggest you pair it with this accessory. Highlight a great color and add that POP with the contrasting texture.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Sounds good to me... And I promise to not post a thrift fit in ten minutes when I'm in the middle of a kettlebell workout...

18. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Iuv all fits

Keep em coming

3 people like this.
  19. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

That's right, everyone at some point should be ready to view others objectively and acknowledge how they want to dress themselves. - without acting like women.
    and by ready i mean: ready to just deal with it and act maturely about it.

Talking smack about how others dress is not only pointless, but the inability to accept others choices makes you a biggot. And an arrogant "our way only" CM Dogmatist.. (well, not directed at you specifically)
    The same could be said about talking smack in regards to one's nationality, gender, Sexuality, or religious beliefs.

- Thinking others don't belong because they choose to be different? Is THE height of arrogance.Discriminatory, exclusory, and utterly shameful.

I NEVER tell anyone to dress like me. (that would be arrogant.And see others doing so, as such.)

Accepting others can enrich your lives. Giving you a myriad of choices to either take, or leave. Unless of course, you are not ready.

Enjoy your clothes gentlemen.

20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@size 38R , but that doesn't change the fact that it's not CM.

That's like a mime posting on a clown forum and telling them their jokes aren't funny. The two things aren't the same. Your form of dress is NOT classic menswear.

Frankly, it's not my concern how you dress, but those guys log onto that thread to look at a pre-determined set of images. Your clothing isn't in that frame and neither is it in the SWD frame. So you're left in the awkward position where what you wear doesn't fit into the two main categories on here. Do I think it's silly that people post suits in SWD, yes, a bit...but fine.

The issue is that you fall in neither of those categories and your current fits aren't going to be accepted there. So if you do dress like one of the categories on certain days then share away, but the forums both have a certain aesthetic they like and people do plenty of different things within those confines.

I respect you, but condescension isn't going to win you any friends on here. Telling people you know style and they know nothing is slightly unnecessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.