• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a quick question when thrifting, is there a way to see selvedge jeans when looking at the waist area? The Savers thrifts hang the jeans with the waist facing out, so looking at the leg cuffs would be painful. If it is possible, I would appreciate a picture showing how to tell.

Thanks guys

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a thrift brag, but a gift brag. A fellow member on the other forum was shrinking his shoe collection and happened to have several pair in or near my size that were destined for Goodwill. Instead, they were graciously passed to me and he is permanently in my book as one of the most stand-up guys ever.

Here are the ones that fit:

LtR, BtF: Grenson balmoral wingtips, Alan McAfee for Bullock & Jones ptbs, not sure I think ET Wright balmoral wings, Alden horsebit loafers, Sebago for Brooks Brothers penny loafers, and Polo Ralph Lauren strap loafers.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just LPs today:

Blood on the Tracks
CSNY, Deja Vu
Cheap Thrills
a barely used copy of Erroll Garner, Concert by the Sea

I noticed when I let that the cashier only charged me for three, so they were about 62 cents each.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the field. Will this work on a modern Canon Rebel the 50mm lens?

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Popped my Sulka Cherry but there were issues...

Brilliant work! I hope for yourself though, and not for sale, right?
I've thought about doing the same with a PRL tie that I have. Not nearly Sulka quality, but I just really like the colors.

messenger309

Reaction score
Yes, just for me. Honestly, even if I did feel comfortable selling a 'refurb' (which I don't), it wouldn't be worth the effort.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by my local GW looking for a duffel bag and they were having a surprise sale: half off orange tags. That meant 3 tweeds for $10. I can do that. All destined for listing this winter, except for the first one which fits me. It's got a pre-1962 union label, and classic vintage narrow lapels that roll to 2.5, and is half lined. Anyone from Cincinnati recognizer the lapel? Google tells me they were a department store. Must have been from the ivy league-focussed line.

Funky tweed from a local department store. I couldn't resist.

The only HT in the bunch.

dedlewamp

Reaction score
In the field. Will this work on a modern Canon Rebel the 50mm lens?

Nope, that camera is a FD mount, where the newer Canon's are EF mount. Canon changed the mount in the late 80's, effectively obsoleting all their older lenses. (They make adapters of course)

Last edited:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by my local GW looking for a duffel bag and they were having a surprise sale: half off orange tags. That meant 3 tweeds for $10. I can do that. All destined for listing this winter, except for the first one which fits me. It's got a pre-1962 union label, and classic vintage narrow lapels that roll to 2.5, and is half lined. Anyone from Cincinnati recognizer the lapel? Google tells me they were a department store. Must have been from the ivy league-focussed line.

http://departmentstoremuseum.blogspot.com/2010/11/mabley-carew-cincinnati-ohio.html

Last edited:

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah these are a mere $200 retail.

Having an iPhone has been a revelation for me in thrifting pretty much because of items like this - there are so many obscure Japanese brands floating around that being able too know what it is I'm looking at has allowed me to pick up some stuff I would have passed on previously.
I need a faster phone, I feel like I'm standing in the aisle half the time waiting for the ebay app to search for something. In my favorite thrift, I get no signal at all, it's frustrating!
Popped my Sulka Cherry but there were issues...

Not that it makes it any more worth it, but I just picked up and sold that exact tie for $25
That tie is gorgeous. Maybe not exactly the same, mine was black and silver, is that silver or white?

quotientspace

Reaction score
Quote:

No, that's an FD manual focus lens. The 50/1.8 is the standard (read cheap) version.

The 50/1.4 and 50/1.2 are the good prime lenses in FD mount. There may also be a (very obscure) 50/2.0 which is only of interest to some collectors.

Last edited:

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that! I've bookmarked it.
They also had a link to the local department store that sold one of the other tweeds. It was called Woodard's, a western Canadian chain. In the comments someone remembers that after the chain closed the flagship store in Vancouver was partially demolished in a Jackie Chan film. If I recall correctly it was Rumble in the Bronx, with Vancouver standing in for the Bronx!.
http://departmentstoremuseum.blogspot.ca/2010/11/woodwards-stores-ltd-vancouver-bc.html

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moderately successful weekend.

Beautiful Eton shirt, gold tone and mother of pearl stud/cufflinks set, some ties (l-r Polo, Talbott rep, vintage Gucci, NWT Breuer), a Borsalino Serikon fedora and what probably should take the moderately off my moderately successful weekend description; a NWT Tumi Napa leather carry on. Retail I think is about $575. Unfortunately its got the original buyer's monogram, but its on a leather patch that should be removable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics