• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While playing Mr. Mom the last month and not able to go thrifting, I decided to give e-thrifting a try. I picked up 2 Hermes ties and am a little worried about authenticity.

In one of the ebay threads, it states:

Quote:
This one does not have that code, these ties are also 4" so fairly ancient. None of this info and bad pictures should have been a tip off on why I got them for less than $20 each...

Original listings here:

Red Tie
Gold Tie

Fake? If yes, should I open a case on each?

wcl

Reaction score

While playing Mr. Mom the last month and not able to go thrifting, I decided to give e-thrifting a try. I picked up 2 Hermes ties and am a little worried about authenticity. Fake? If yes, should I open a case on each?
Both are 1000% fake. Sorry man. The tipping is the dead giveaway. Aside from the label and the little tag on the tip.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh weird. It might have been reactivated? Any levis fanatics here? I think the line is still carried on yoox. There are also some shops in Chicago which get unsold goods from Europe and there was a ton of weird levis engineered jeans with a ton of unnecessary exposed selvedge lines everywhere they could put them.

On yoox: http://mobile.yoox.com/us/men/shopo...=Engineered&dept=men&gender=U&page=1&season=E

These are the "Engineered Jeans" you are looking for:

The Best Jeans i have. and that is saying something...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

-not available.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the talk of fake Hermes, I'm really regretting not stopping by their store while in Boston. Possibly would have helped with authenticity checks. Now my mild paranoia is setting in and I am questioning the authenticity of my own ties. My Hermes collection came from one wealthy individual. He's the type that would have bought them directly from Hermes rather than looking for a deal - but some of them have the hallmarks of "fake". I spoilered the pics as I used the large upload setting. The four on the right don't have me worried, but the four on the left...

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Gitman Bros are good? I saw 3 of them today that I left... They were like "Gitman Bros for suchandsuch store"
Just make sure it says Vintage on it. I've seen a few green tags that aren't the Vintage line. I got yelled at by a bro for picking up the non-vintage line!
facepalm.gif

While playing Mr. Mom the last month and not able to go thrifting, I decided to give e-thrifting a try. I picked up 2 Hermes ties and am a little worried about authenticity.

In one of the ebay threads, it states:

This one does not have that code, these ties are also 4" so fairly ancient. None of this info and bad pictures should have been a tip off on why I got them for less than $20 each...

Original listings here:

Red Tie
Gold Tie

Fake? If yes, should I open a case on each?
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo, ouch! These are amongst the fakest of all the fake Hermes I've seen...Sorry dude...
cry.gif

Rounds on Wes!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Facking killing it!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

With all the talk of fake Hermes, I'm really regretting not stopping by their store while in Boston. Possibly would have helped with authenticity checks. Now my mild paranoia is setting in and I am questioning the authenticity of my own ties. My Hermes collection came from one wealthy individual. He's the type that would have bought them directly from Hermes rather than looking for a deal - but some of them have the hallmarks of "fake". I spoilered the pics as I used the large upload setting. The four on the right don't have me worried, but the four on the left...

All FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jk JK! I hope they are all real! They look real from over here but that's without having close examination of the blown up/close up pics.

Last edited:

Aidan K

Reaction score
I too think those four are fake. The backing (tipping) is wrong, and the missing numbers is bad too. The other sign i read about is a little thread on the inside of the tie which should be visible if you gently fold the bottom open. But i am not an expert, just a couple of hours investigating ties after i found several at a spot last week.

jcubzzz

Reaction score
Is finding the thread loop inside a Hermes tie still an accurate way to check authenticity? The "loop of truth" if you will.

Aidan K

Reaction score
I haven't seen it on a couple of bad fakes i have seen, but that isn't to say there are not better fakes out there on which it is included (or imitated).

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since a few years my dream is to have a burberry trenchcoat like this one . What do you think about berberry, i hope my girlfriend will say its nice. maybe i will win one at mytrenchcoat cross your fingers for me!

Are you F***ing spamming the Thrift Thread??? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads