1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeafAndArrow

LeafAndArrow Senior member

Camel hide for sure.

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Hey look over there, something thrifted!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

What did the mute man say to the deaf man?

2 people like this.
  4. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Oh ffs, I'm sorry, okay. Let's just move on.

3 people like this.
  5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

How are you a 40? I'm a 40 and you're way bigger than I am! Especially after all that lifting during your bathroom build.

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

OK Friends. The longwings I offered up yesterday I believe are fully spoken for. Again, I can easily sell these, but I know some of you like finding rare/ vintage items for your own personal wardrobe. I also know there are better forums for this type of offer, but I'm targeting this to you guys specifically.

For your consideration today are a pair of vintage British Walkers monk strap slip ons. original leather soles and v-cleats. If I could wear these, I would send them off to bnelson and have them totally redone with new leather/ v-cleats and a full surface restoration. ($180 if you're interested.) I like the idea of these going to someone who values the classics. If you plan to go to the mall and get replacement rubber heels, please don't ask me for these. I've already held onto them for 6 months mulling over the restoration, knowing I'd never ever get my money back. (but still thinking about it)

These are almost exactly the color of the AE Walnut shoes. I did a spray down with lexol conditioner, an application of renovateur, and a polish with Saphir light brown polish. These are not in 10 condition. The leather upper is solid and in good-very good condition. No real cracking around the ankle. No damage, you can see the wear creases and there is some spots darker than others. In fact on the left toe you can see its a bit mottled. The strap is well-creased as well at the buckle.

I'm calling these a size 10M. Interior length is 11 1/4". Subtracting for toe room puts you in a size 10 on Allen Edmonds downloadable shoe sizer.

They go up on Thursday night unless someone here wants a classic shoe for their own personal use. full picts on my tumblr in my sig. trades only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are the last ones I'm going to offer internally as I actually need to sell something.

1 person likes this.
  7. Towers

Towers Senior member

Suits I'm usually 41-42 but outerwear, especially with less 'fashion forward' brands, usually has some room built in.

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Wildebeest!

(Oh, wait, I thought we were just throwing out our favorite exotic animal)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Leopard. ... would dig a pair of leopard shoes.

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Thanks for doing this @jebarne !

11. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Agreed. I have a tan pair of camel hide longwings that look exactly like that.

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Why are you such a jerk to everyone? People think you dress like a confused teenager. You say you don't care, but you keep posting fits, and you keep attacking everyone on this thread.

I really don't understand it.

3 people like this.
  14. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

15. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

Aghhhhhh. I really wish I would have seen that a bit sooner.

1 person likes this.
  16. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

2 people like this.
  17. LeafAndArrow

LeafAndArrow Senior member

Oddly, Dacks made shoes out of nearly anything with hooves and skin. Eg, water buffalo -

https://www.etsy.com/listing/178196...to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

So nice guess. And really, a wildebeest is your favorite exotic animal? Do you have a bunch of 70s velvet paintings of wildebeests in your house? Please say you do.

1 person likes this.
  18. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Yeah, I've picked up and sold Dack's made from Water Buffalo, Kangaroo (a beautiful burgundy pair that were just a bit tight), Camel (same, just a bit tight in the toe-box), and I want to say antelope, the last couple years. Really great shoes with almost no name recognition, but the exotics can help overcome that factor.

ETA: that Etsy listing has me thinking that the other pair from yesterday might be water buffalo.

2 people like this.
  19. borbor

borbor Senior member

so I figure i'd use the 20% VV discount.

0 for 4

the one pair of selvedge i found (would've been a cherry) was a pair of made in china s002 uniqlos.

argh, think it's a sign to get wasted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.