The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

The Hermes stuff is great, but that Hippo is one awesome find!

2. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

At one local thrift they are picking out the good stuff like Nautica, Hilfiger and Polo RL and putting them on a premium rack.

Luckily I am still able to find some off brand stuff pretty cheap there, including Oxxford, Norman Hilton, Hickey-Freeman, Gitman Bros, and Allen Edmonds so far in 2010.

I see the same thing all the time. Recently someone donated a bunch(10+) Chaps suits. While they are in good condition, and very recent suits, the price of $49.99 each is obviously ludicrous for a thrift store. They also have alot of 'Designer' shoes like Aldo and Timberland selling for $29.99.

Just a couple weeks ago the thrift store employee running the register commented on an item I was purchasing. She said, "That's a nice jacket! Those off brands can be decent every once in awhile." The jacket in question was a Sulka, for a whopping $3.99.

3. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

can we stop bitching about thrift stores and get back to the cool finds :) i need some motivation. we're starting to sound like the 400 lb. woman at the 7eleven complaining that she never wins the lottery.

I had a great week. Here are most of the highlights:

Oxxford:

[​IMG] I LOVE this - it seems like a mix between linen/silk

[​IMG] Patch, surgeons cuffs [​IMG] Pure cashmere, patch, surgeons cuffs

My first JPress i've ever seen(except for a battered tie):

[​IMG]

2 pair of Vintage florsheim burgundy Shell PTB - same shoe one 11c one 11b - would love to trade for a similar 9.5-10d any color shell:

[​IMG]

3 pair of AE Wingtips:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Stanley Blacker made in England tassle loafers:

[​IMG]

AE Saddles:

[​IMG]

J&M Made in USA tassle loafers:

[​IMG]

BB handmade italian horsebit driving shoes:

[​IMG]

Also found a nice vintage womens DB Burberry raincoat.

4. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

^^^^ Those Florsheim Shells are really nice! If you cant find any trades you should have no problem selling them on eBay.

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Hermes PS, Hermes Tie, Trafalgar and other braces.....and of course a gold, cast iron hippo.

[​IMG]

Wow great find on the pocket square!!

6. Hackett

Hackett Well-Known Member

Found three JPress and two vintage BB ties yesterday, not something you're likely to find in South Texas. [​IMG]

7. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Some recent finds: a 100% cashmere black top coat in excellent condition, the union label indicates its from the '60s...probably a 38-40. A Brioni shirt for NM, one tiny pinhole that is covered by the placket 17/32...25 cents. The blue tie is a never worn Drakes, absolutely beautiful silk print. The red tie is a Hermes in mint condition...a tennis motif. And the boots are L.L.Beans brown, pebble grain chukkas, size 8.5 E with composite soles, but Goodyear welted. Less than $10 for the whole lot. All but the Drake tie will probably go on B&S.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Nice haul, Tony.

9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Hit St Vincent DePaul and GW today. Found 4 pairs of Polo PL shorts in my size.

Saw a pair on new old stock Bostonians (Made in US) that I passed on.

Both were pretty well picked over.

10. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

Came across a pair of brown Ferragamos in good condition (no wrinkling). They were missing laces and felt too narrow on my feet. 10.5 D. I'm not someone who buys then tries to resell on ebay though so I left them for someone else to pick up.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yeah, I saw a couple of nice shirts in a 17 36 at the thirft store today, but I'm of the opinion that it's best to let them stay with somebody who needs them in the community, especally as poor as the one up here is.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Who was the maker(s) of these shirts?

13. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Yeah, I saw a couple of nice shirts in a 17 36 at the thirft store today, but I'm of the opinion that it's best to let them stay with somebody who needs them in the community...
    While I understand and appreciate your opinion, I think you are misguided. Thrift stores function (and this is not just my opinion, I have personally spoken to the heads of SVdeP, GW and SA in this area) on two levels. One is to provide low cost clothing, household goods, etc. to low income residents, the other is to provide them with jobs, training and social services. If they relied only on low income shoppers, thrift stores would not be economically viable. These agencies not only understand, but strongly encourage, thrift shopping by the general public in general and "thrifters" in particular.

14. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

while we're on the topic of thrifting, I was at the thriftstore yesterday and came across an old Nordstroms tie that stated it was 'handcrafted in Japan for Nordstroms'. the silk felt exquisite compared to the other ties on the rack but it was pink with paisley designs on it. the tie was only $2.99 but I put it back because I was trying to decide if it was something I would ever wear. I guess I was sold on the 'handcrafted in Japan' bit more than anything. might have to go back today and see if it's still there

15. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Found out today that the Salvation Army closest to me is closing its doors... the manager told me the landlord is raising the rent $5,000. When he asked that they consider a smaller increase, the landlord raised it another $5,000!

Good news is he says it's going to be replaced by a Goodwill! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.