Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Those look pretty nice^. One thing I forgot to say about vinyl is that an easy way to grab some rarer stuff without knowing anything is to look for colored vinyl. While its not always worth something, more often times than not colored vinyl was a limited run.

Thanks.

If you want to pass along some vinyl, PM me.

2. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

Saw a charcoal pinstriped suit by Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece today, it was $20 and appeared to be in overall good condition except for a small round moth hole on the back (about a millimeter diameter I'd say). I don't know enough to know if that can be fixed easily. Was I stupid to leave it?

3. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

Saw a charcoal pinstriped suit by Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece today, it was $20 and appeared to be in overall good condition except for a small round moth hole on the back (about a millimeter diameter I'd say). I don't know enough to know if that can be fixed easily. Was I stupid to leave it?

What size was it? If it's not your size, maybe we could work out a deal?

4. Taken Aback

Taken Aback Senior member

Those look pretty nice^. One thing I forgot to say about vinyl is that an easy way to grab some rarer stuff without knowing anything is to look for colored vinyl. While its not always worth something, more often times than not colored vinyl was a limited run.

Actually a lot of crap was pressed on colored vinyl in the 80s. Picture discs are more indicative of being limited, but there's been some crap there too.

5. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

What size was it? If it's not your size, maybe we could work out a deal?

Sorry, looks like you're my size. This was about a 44R I think.

6. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I found a RLBL made in Italy suit yesterday that looks very recent: 42R, s/b, medium gray with a white beaded p/s, 2B, pic-stitched, side-vent, ticket pocket, single-pleat (I think) pants with side button tabs. I'm pretty sure its fully canvassed. It was in perfect shape so I bought it to pass along at a reasonable price.

However, this place does the dumbest thing I've ever seen: they take the pants and attach them to the back of the coat with a security tag. So, the suit WAS in perfect shape except there's now a very small hole in the back of the coat where the tag was [​IMG] The hole is about the size of the tip of a ball-point pin so it would be an inexpensive fix. PM me if you're interested in pics and measurements.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

8. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I found a RLBL made in Italy suit yesterday that looks very recent: 42R... PM me if you're interested in pics and measurements.

[​IMG] I didn't think that description through well enough: its Blue label, not Black. My apologies.

Had a huge haul at lunch today:
    Found my first piece of Kiton! It was a tie, not a suit [​IMG] , but it was $1. Weird thing is that its an extra-long. I had no idea they made XL ties. It shouldn't be too much trouble to shorten it.
    Brioni tie for $12.99. That's a bit much (and it was marked down from $19.99) but I'm trying to support that store manager I befriended earlier in the week.
    Armani tie and a Polo p/s - $1.39 each
    A pair of unworn penny loafers. They are brand new but the name is still rubbed off on the bottom somehow. Weirdly, the name was on the ball of the foot. I can see a crown and the words "custom grade" below it. The only issue is that they are missing the piece of footbed lining that covers the heel. The rest is meant to be unlined and it is obvious that they are handsewn - $6.49
    Pair of Hickey Freeman made in Italy flannel dress slacks in navy - $5.99
    Paul Stuart white dress shirt. It must be pretty fresh because there's no ring around the collar (a rarity around here) - $3.99

9. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

P.S. - if anybody in DFW is a 48/50L one of my lunch stops had 5-6 recent Hickey-Freeman suits and one HF sportcoat. They must have been for the same guy and all were 48 or 50L. PM me for the location.

10. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

^^ I might be interested in the XL tie if available. And if anyone goes back for the Hickey Freemans I may be interested in some of those as well depending on size of pants.

11. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

^^ I might be interested in the XL tie if available. And if anyone goes back for the Hickey Freemans I may be interested in some of those as well depending on size of pants.

I'll get a quote on shortening the tie and decide if I want to keep it. If not, you have dibs.

I won't be able to get back to that thrift until next Wednesday so I hope someone else volunteers. If not, PM me next week to remind me and I'll run by. They may still be there: this thrift is small, out of the way, and I've never seen it busy.

12. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

NWT BB Multicolor sport shirt in my size
    NWT Austin Reed worsted lightish grey trousers in my size, unhemmed
    Dark navy/charcoal with red over check Hart Schaffner & Marx for Dior 2btn SB 38r
    Polo by RL green pattern tie
    Robert Talbot green striped tie

All from the same GW. Pretty decent day I'd say.

13. wcl

wcl Senior member

Hermes PS, Hermes Tie, Trafalgar and other braces.....and of course a gold, cast iron hippo.

[​IMG]

14. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Hermes PS, Hermes Tie, Trafalgar and other braces.....and of course a gold, cast iron hippo.

[​IMG]

How much for the hippo?

15. wcl

wcl Senior member

How much for the hippo?

LULZ. I think I'm going to make it into a hood ornament.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.