• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally, i have no problem with these shops trying to extract maximum amount of money... isn't that kind of the point of what they are doing? isn't that what the donor would want?

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally, i have no problem with these shops trying to extract maximum amount of money... isn't that kind of the point of what they are doing? isn't that what the donor would want?
It's not ALWAYS about money. Do you think Walt Disney would really want a Starbucks in Magic Kingdom?

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I'm not THAT skinny
2. Came home from Utah yesterday to a whole house that smelled like skunk the bastard crawled in through my window can proxy to Wes

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

personally, i have no problem with these shops trying to extract maximum amount of money... isn't that kind of the point of what they are doing?  isn't that what the donor would want? 

Not really. In the first place, we're talking about unjustified mark-ups, not items that are fairly-priced. Beyond that, low prices ensure return visits, earning stores much more in the long run. (Some managers, like the one right by my house, are quick to point this out, well-aware I'm walking out with an amazing Brioni tie for $2). As for donors, IME, they envision their clothes going to the severely needy or the homeless, which is just not the case.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I'm not THAT skinny
2. Came home from Utah yesterday to a whole house that smelled like skunk the bastard crawled in through my window can proxy to Wes

wow.gif
crazy.gif
lol8[1].gif

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

personally, i have no problem with these shops trying to extract maximum amount of money... isn't that kind of the point of what they are doing?  isn't that what the donor would want? 

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it's capitalism, baby. And it can backfire.

The local shops, at least so far, have no clue about what's good and what is not. The Nautica and crappy RL gets skimmed for the boutique, which is good, because there's less stuff to go through to find the real deals. SA is the best, or worst, depending on point of view. They've been jacking prices through the roof the past few months to the point where no one is buying the stuff. But on Saturday afternoons, the price goes to 59 cents for the color tag that's gone through the cycle and at that point, the BB OCBD's that had been marked at $12 become flippable steals. SA jacks prices like this every other year or so, and it always works out the same. The bargains end up more plentiful. It's somewhat amusing. What sharks there are around here, and there aren't many, start gathering a half-hour or so before the rock-bottom sale starts, gathering up the over-priced stuff and waiting for the price to go down. You'd think whomever is running these places would catch on, but that never seems to happen.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. In the first place, we're talking about unjustified mark-ups, not items that are fairly-priced. Beyond that, low prices ensure return visits, earning stores much more in the long run. (Some managers, like the one right by my house, are quick to point this out, well-aware I'm walking out with an amazing Brioni tie for $2). As for donors, IME, they envision their clothes going to the severely needy or the homeless, which is just not the case.

I dated a super-wealthy gal who would get very irritated with me when I would toss out socks (like, plain white cotton) if they were developing a hole. In her mind, I should donate them to Goodwill. My reaction was "No one wants socks with holes in them", and her take was "They do if they don't have socks at all". She had no idea how uncomfortable it is to wear socks with holes (she never having done so), and that needy people have standards just like everyone else. She was a good-hearted person (still is), but entirely out of touch on many levels.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. That is by far my favorite smell in the world. No lie. Yes, I have crazy redneck roots.

I'm with Wes - I like the smell of skunk. When driving down the road and coming across a cloud of skunk smell, everyone else in the car starts yelling and gagging and rolling up windows, and I breathe it in deeply. I Googled it a while ago and a very small percentage of people do not find skunk offensive; rather, they like it. So, Wes, it's probably your genetics, not your roots. I've never met anyone else who had the same quirk - still haven't IRL at least - but good to know I'm not the only one.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with Wes - I like the smell of skunk. When driving down the road and coming across a cloud of skunk smell, everyone else in the car starts yelling and gagging and rolling up windows, and I breathe it in deeply. I Googled it a while ago and a very small percentage of people do not find skunk offensive; rather, they like it. So, Wes, it's probably your genetics, not your roots. I've never met anyone else who had the same quirk - still haven't IRL at least - but good to know I'm not the only one.

OR

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! Yup, I roll the windows down all the way.

Top three favorite scents.
1. Skunk
2. Burnt Hair
3. Electrical Fire or smoldering.

Hoping they come out with one of those triple layered scented candles with those 3 smells some day soon.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like a faint whiff in the air, when my dogs get sprayed and they bring that **** into my house not so much...

MarkThomas

Reaction score
I dated a super-wealthy gal who would get very irritated with me when I would toss out socks (like, plain white cotton) if they were developing a hole. In her mind, I should donate them to Goodwill. My reaction was "No one wants socks with holes in them", and her take was "They do if they don't have socks at all". She had no idea how uncomfortable it is to wear socks with holes (she never having done so), and that needy people have standards just like everyone else. She was a good-hearted person (still is), but entirely out of touch on many levels.
Good point. And the mission of Goodwill isn't so that homeless or needy folks can buy goods for cheap, it's merely a side-effect. They're a non-profit looking to bring in money to fund their community programs and job-placement for the disabled and less fortunate.

All that said, I definitely get pissed when the prices start skyrocketing at my local thrift shops. haha

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First post in this thread, but this is too beautiful not to share (apologies for iPhone photos). This is one of the nicest jackets I've ever felt. Measures out like a 38 or 39. N/A on it's way to silverwearbandit

35% Wool
35% Silk
30% Linen

Chest - 20.75"
Shoulder - 18.5"
Sleeve - 24"
Length - 30.5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads