1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Just setup my e-thrifted slack line (theclymb.com) for the first time. My backyard is fast becoming a playground...

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

looks like a jungle [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

Can you explain what the hype is for slack lines? I see hipsters on those all of the time when I pass dolores park lol

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It's a pretty damned good core workout. Otherwise it's a fun social thing, especially once you're good enough to walk on the thing with a beer in hand. It started (AFAIK) with boulderers (rock climbers) at least 20 years ago.

5. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

:( Sadly I did not thrift at all today, but I did sew two new pocket squares, a nice light pink cotton :)

1 person likes this.
  6. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

So I had 15 minutes to kill while waiting for my take-out and decided to hit a typically dry tjmaxx. I was not optimistic and I almost left with my opinions of the store reaffirmed. Until the absolute last item on the shirts rack was reached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I've never seen so many mark-down stickers stacked up as this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Is it sad to think my attention getter from your post was the take-out, rather than the Brioni...damn I am hungry.

8. Harvitz81

Harvitz81 Senior member

@SpooPoker

Real or stripper's tit?

Figured I could always return if fake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. vexco

vexco Senior member

looks real. found one with the same tags a few months ago that was said to be real.

10. concealed

concealed Senior member

VERSACE IS REAL

THAT BRIONI IS DOPE @SCoNE

11. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

"thrifted" 315 rl ties tons of bleekers rlpl some rrl

12. TWU2014

TWU2014 Senior member

Few Thrifts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Slight Discoloration
    [​IMG]

Ladies Jacket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Local Clothing Tailor House Brand
    [​IMG]

David Donahue (Blues)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not photo yet
    AE Park Ave Black Sz 12
    Hickey Freeman Canterburry 44L

13. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Csoukoulis was it? Was he the one that found the Loro Piana deerskin coat?

1 person likes this.
  14. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Yep, here it is. Cashmere lined even. Easily one of the top five finds ever posted in this thread. Sold on that site for $3k.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yep, he was one of them. EBTX66 was the other one. Both of them constantly found mind-blowing stuff for really cheap. Not sure what the current Dallas scene is like though as this was like 2-3 years ago.

16. tben

tben Senior member

Nothing too crazy in that tie bag. A ton of old stuff, and one soiled. Oh well, it was fun for $20, way better than that left field grab bag. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

[​IMG]

There's a lot of thrift stores here. The pricing seems lower than most other areas. I love it here for thrifting. I've found 3 Vicuna overcoats so far in less than a year of doing this. For the most part, stores don't know the exceptionally awesome brands. Ralph Lauren and such get marked up, be it RLBL, RLPL, or Polo/LRL. I honestly believe I could go out everyday, and come back with at least one semi-grail piece each time. Lower-end things like Hickey Freeman and Samuelsohn are -EVERYWHERE-. I could easily pick up 5-10 HF suits/sport coats from one store, go back tomorrow and find two more.

Highland Park and University Park are one of the richest cities in the US. Their mall has Hermes and other extremely high end stores. Stanley Korshak is a menswear specialty store too. There's two main thrift stores that get all the donations from these cities, St Vincent De Paul and Goodwill on Greenville Ave. The Goodwill on Greenville Ave doesn't do suits, but I recently got 5 Loro Piana shirts and a few choice ties. The suits go to Goodwill on Alma Blvd in Plano.

You'll want to check out Plano, Lewisville, Richardson, Irving, Grand Praerie, and Garland. Some of the richest areas. Don't bother with Fort Worth. I tore through the city once 6-7 months ago, grabbed everything even remotely decent, and since then I haven't found a single thing grabbing in Fort Worth and I still stop by quite often.

If you see an Asian mid-20's guy going through racks say Hi, he's usually really lonely 'cause his girlfriend doesn't go out with him anymore.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

Found my first G9 yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it's not a Made in England version. According to a post I found on AAAC, for a time during the late 90s / early 00s (?) they were made in Romania and Turkey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not really an issue - it's 100% cotton and it fits.

Some other finds:

Fred Perry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trafalgar leather braces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucchese 2000 black cherry smooth ostrich / black cherry goat Ropers (according to the gentleman at Lucchese wholesale customer service)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Oh also check out the Genesis Benefit Thrift Store on Knight St. They're quite a bit more expensive (I assume like Cali) but they have some -AMAZING- things. Even more amazing womens items.

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Had my first runnsince I finiahed with SXSW. 1 store and a great haul. Bespoke HF tux, Cream Lubiam 1911 shawl collar DJ, handful of Su Misura shirts, 3 black wool EZ trousers, my first RLBL-navy wool trou with side tabs, Zanella unicorns EZ guncheck side vent, and a couple pair of shoes, plus last week, I found some guys Thomas Pink shirt collection. Pics: Saturday?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.