• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed comments: I've been off the grid all week.

Originally Posted by Dw3610wm
Why Do The Thrift Shops In The Uk Pale In Comparison

Just a guess but maybe because many people there tend to buy less trendy quantity but more conservative quality and then hang on to it forever? Case in pint: my local thrifts are swimming in Zanella triple-pleat clown pants but I have only ever found 3 pairs of Oxxford trousers.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Erm... a man in 1981 perhaps?

If the shoulders aren't too clowishly big I'd still count it as a score.

Originally Posted by tsaltzma
Here they are. They are actually 10's, but they fit me like a glove, so I will be hanging onto them for now. Actually they feel more like a slipper than anything.
smile.gif

00001-8.jpg

worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

Originally Posted by Nataku
^^Good point. I always check the trousers section. Also, check the women's pants section too. I found the trousers for the Zegna Napoli Couture suit I recently found in the women's pants section.

teacha.gif
Damn, I never thought to look in the women's pants. Oh, great, now I'll be in the stores even longer. My wife will be thrilled!

I just spent the week in the hospital and when my wife asked me what I wanted to do when I got released I said "go thrifting". Apparently in her book that means I officially have a problem.
laugh.gif

I went to three places this morning and had a good run:

A RLPL navy, 100% cashmere flannel suit jacket. My first RLPL. It was at Goodwill so of course it's an orphaned suit jacket
facepalm.gif
but it'll be perfect as a winter blazer and it was $7.99. But now I have to go back and check the women's pants...

An Oxxford blue windowpane sportcoat. It's only 1/4 lined and perfect for the upcoming heat - $7.99

Very recent BB d/b navy blazer - $7.99

"Bespoke" made in Italy suede loafers. Bespoke is just the name of the higher-end line from the regional (now bankrupt) Harold's stores, not how they were made. Still, I'd put them in the AE category - $4.50

Canali dress-shirt, Nordstrom's private label dress-shirt, and Zegna sportshirt - $3.99 each

Polo dress slacks - $10. That's way too much for pants at Goodwill but I didn't want to tempt fate after the luck I'd been having.

Some light blue suede wallabee (?) style pull on boots. They are made in England by someone named George Cox. They look barely worn, but I have to admit they may stay that way since it'll take a large set of juevos to wear those around here. But they were just too unique to pass up - $5.99

matt22616

Reaction score
^^^ Great finds, especially the RLPL. Definitely go back and check out the women's pants section.

Now, whenever I find an amazing orphan, I have the wisdom of this forum to thank for spending 30 min. flipping through the considerably more extensive women's section.
ffffuuuu.gif

Think my local goodwill has recently been getting large donations from the local malls/retailers. J.Crew "Factory Store" NWT everywhere. From what I can tell the quality is largely the same. Kopped a nice par of 'nantucket red' shorts w/ button fly, cream/almost white summer weight cotton trousers, gingham shirt, and navy crewneck cotton sweater. All NWT.

mystillwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
Think my local goodwill has recently been getting large donations from the local malls/retailers. J.Crew "Factory Store" NWT everywhere. From what I can tell the quality is largely the same. Kopped a nice par of 'nantucket red' shorts w/ button fly, cream/almost white summer weight cotton trousers, gingham shirt, and navy crewneck cotton sweater. All NWT.

J Crew Factory Store stuff is probably a bargain at thrift store prices but the quality is not on the same level as the mainline store merchandise imo.

Har

Reaction score
Excellent Bosalino hat from Italy this one is from the line that ended around 1982. I could not believe I even found one let alone in perfect condition. Paid 5 dollars for it.

EBTX66

Reaction score
A late stop at my local over-priced for-profit thrift while on my way to dinner yielded a few gems that they failed to notice due to their rampant stupidity:

A Fray and a Henry Cottons sportshirt - $3.99 each. How could I pick those over the well worn Nautica shirts for $12.99? Silly me.

A Boss and a Trussardi tie for $1.99 each. Both were deemed too low class to hang with the Hilfigers at $7.99. Actually, I'm shocked they missed the Boss one.

Nashville

Reaction score
Those were definitely worn more than once......

and the way they are crinkled up he must have tip
laugh.gif
toed that explains the lack of heel wear LOL!!!

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
A few pics of the Bally belt I found if anyone is interested, not on here long enough to make a thread in B&S. It is listed as a size 44, but the end could just be cut to make it any size shorter. The first hole measured on just the belt without the buckle is 40 1/4", the last hole 44 1/2". Anyone shoot me a pm if interested. Probably just throwing it up on ebay, as I already have belts in both colors. Looks to have never been buckled.
Picture021.jpg
Picture031.jpg

Picture030.jpg

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who wears a 9D, the Allen Edmonds outlet in Jeffersonville, OH has a stack of salesman samples for $79.99 (first quality). I normally wear a 9.5D but was able to get a pair of white bucks (that was the largest running last). Also scored two pairs of sweet Brooks Brothers cufflinks at their factory store...respective original prices $115 & $125...my cost $5 & $10.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found another Baekgaard oil cloth messenger/laptop bag today. This makes three I've found in the past year and 1/2. Must have been a popular model. This one looks to have been used once or twice at most, just like the other two I found.

DSC09829.jpg

Nice! where's it made? which country? Denmark?

Swan Song

Reaction score
Three vintage Brooks Brothers 1818 Poplin jackets probably from the same guy, Navy, Khaki, and Olive.

Flawless, orphaned suit jackets in all likelyhood

46 L but I have "short-arm-syndrome" you know, a Regular
frown.gif

PM any questions

Swan Song

Reaction score
A heavy Hunting/Barn canvas coat made in USA for LL Bean. Wheat/Khaki in color.

Detachable wool/nylon lining. Thigh length.

Fits!!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tip for any TC thrifters:

The Ragstock on the 3rd floor of the Mall of America (the 2nd floor one no longer sells used clothing) has a ton of ties. I'd say over 120. I saw some decent labels in there (Hugo Boss, Talbott BOC, Brooks Brothers Makers), so there may be some even nicer stuff buried farther down. Too many ties, 5 minutes 'till closing and having to meet my fiance and our friends at the resturant had me giving up on them. Not sure how much they were, but they had to be cheap given that their used shirts are $3.99 each. I couldn't imagine more than $1 a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads