1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Selvedge question...

I know heavier weight leads to thicker/stiffer jeans, but are they warmer too? Like, would you have lighter weight jeans for the summer and thicker ones for fall/spring, and thicker still for winter?

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Thicker denim is definitely warmer. I think <12 oz is considered light and >16 is considered heavyweight. What's comfortable for you in summer will vary based on how warm you are. I'd have to wear really lightweight denim in the summers here.

3. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

This question has somewhat of a complicated answer. Often times the answer is yes, heavier weight denim leads to warmer jeans, but there's the other factor of how tightly woven the fabric is. Lighter weight jeans can feel warmer if the fabric is tighter and there's less space for air to get to your legs. However, 20oz denim is almost always going to feel warmer than 10oz.

1 person likes this.
  4. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

Why do I always feel fat when looking at Denim sales.

Oh yea, cause I'm not a 30 waist...

5 people like this.
  5. TJGent87

TJGent87 Senior member

Nice your taste seems to be improving. :fistbump:

1 person likes this.
  6. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Now you know how I feel going to thrift stores because I have a 30 waist.

1 person likes this.
  7. ridethecliche

Same. This is why most of my thrifted pants are a 31 or 32... Sigh.

I guess it's okay because 30's are often too tight everywhere because I'm not a skinny little fucker. Well, I'm less skinny than other people at this waist size anyway.

Thanks for your answer re: selvedge weight!

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Did you buy it?

Sitting here with coffee annoyed that no one had claimed buying it. :happy:

10. ridethecliche

I've been looking for loud sportcoats for a while. Does anyone have any brand recommendations for ebaying stuff like this? Or if you find them in my size, I'd be interested!

Here's an example:

[​IMG]

Would this just be a windowpane? Are certain brands known for this or is just about everyone? I'm probably not going to be able to afford any zegna's like this, but if I can try to snipe some canali's etc, that'd be handy. I've been searching for windowpanes and finding some gorgeous belvest stuff but it's all new and costs more than week's worth of $$$ haha.

I know you have some (read: lots of) jackets like this.

11. HansderHund

@GMMcL:

Re: Henry Cotton's

Good stuff, low resale (for me, anyway). Pants may or may not be Incotex, same style and I believe sometimes made in Romania. A lot of neat fabrics for jackets. I think it retails pretty high in nicer department stores.

12. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Thrift fit with epic bold square in i couple of hours............. but seriously. you funny.

Hmmmm, electric car ??? would not kop.

Dammit!!!! what size ARE you???????????????[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Of course I did. I hope its 3.5", not 3.75". Its the new selvedge logo, so probably 3.5. fingers crossed.

Windowpane. And, don't settle for a inbetweener. Save what you would have put towards a "meh" piece and put it towards a great one.

14. HansderHund

I thought I had the time advantage here, but it's not a problem, I need another tie like I need a hole in my head.

^ Great advice. When your closet is filled with things you love, you don't waste your time on so-so fits.

1 person likes this.
  15. ArborVitae

ArborVitae Well-Known Member

Glad someone found it useful. I already have something similar and it was more than I wanted to spend to resell. You going to wear it or sprinkle your magic Luxeswap powder on it?

16. SpooPoker

We are all only temporary custodians of these material goods. :)

I do plan to keep it, if the width works.

2 people like this.
  17. ridethecliche

Yeah. I was counting dollar signs in my head last weekend as I was taking all these things I'd bought that I learned don't fit me and definitely don't work with how I want to look. I'd rather have 5 good pieces than 15 meh ones. Life is too short to look like a schlub.

I was asking more so if there are any good brands that are known for it that slide under the ebay radar. If people find stuff like that, then lemme know!

Slash, I guess I'm stalking luxswap again for a while!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Senior member

19. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Has anyone had a successful exchange with user Vexco? I had an exchange set up with him around three weeks ago and, while my items reached him long ago, no sign of mine and trying to get a tracking # has been like pulling teeth. Someone else I've talked to also hasn't received his trade and I'm beginning to think I've been scammed.

20. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

LULZ! I totes forgotten! Sorry bro, been running around like a headless chicken during the past week or so.

Heavy denim with tight weave = warmer legs. Heavy denim with open/loose weave = not so warm legs.

+1

If I'm not mistaken, he has been busy with a move lately, no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.