• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonnyunpleasant
I went to Montreal last week, and I was very excited to go thrift shopping in a big Canadian City. I walked into the Salvation Army (or ArmÃ
00a9.png
e du Salut, as they called it) with hopes of getting a really warm wool coat or perhaps some swanky new snowboots, but it sucked. They had no good men's clothing. All I got was a crappy Canadian beer shirt because it was the only piece of clothing I could find with French writing on it.

This a warning to anyone who's planning on going to Montreal and thrift shopping.

The key to thrifting is that you have to keep looking. I go to the same salvation army once a week and there is new **** all the time. Mostly it sucks but one day I found a pair of new suede Ferregamo wingtips. $20. Keep trying.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I flew up to Edinburgh mid-week to catch up with some friends, and realised how spoilt I've become by the standards of the stuff we get in London. I looked in all the shops in the better parts of town and found absolutely nothing of interest, regardless of size.

Walking round London today, I found nothing worth buying in my size, but saw along the way:

One pair of black Church's grain corrected cap-toes £15

Pair of Ferragamo gc cap-toes £15

Bespoke Airey & Wheeler blazer £10

Bespoke 3-piece, looked quite nice, £8

Dunhill canvassed suit £10

Canali canvassed suit £15

Shipton & Heneage brown loafers, lovely but too small £8

2 (MTM?) Loro Piana shirts £6 ea

100% cotton Burberry trenchcoat £15

Nice Italian sportcoat (forget the brand, canvassed with lots of handwork), body fit well but too short on the sleeves £10

As well as plenty of other MTM, bespoke, and higher-quality stuff that didn't stick in my mind. Part of the problem is I'm a difficult fit, and very picky about it. Ho hum....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
I flew up to Edinburgh mid-week to catch up with some friends, and realised how spoilt I've become by the standards of the stuff we get in London. I looked in all the shops in the better parts of town and found absolutely nothing of interest, regardless of size.

Walking round London today, I found nothing worth buying in my size, but saw along the way:

One pair of black Church's grain corrected cap-toes £15

Pair of Ferragamo gc cap-toes £15

Bespoke Airey & Wheeler blazer £10

Bespoke 3-piece, looked quite nice, £8

Dunhill canvassed suit £10

Canali canvassed suit £15

Shipton & Heneage brown loafers, lovely but too small £8

2 (MTM?) Loro Piana shirts £6 ea

100% cotton Burberry trenchcoat £15

Nice Italian sportcoat (forget the brand, canvassed with lots of handwork), body fit well but too short on the sleeves £10

As well as plenty of other MTM, bespoke, and higher-quality stuff that didn't stick in my mind. Part of the problem is I'm a difficult fit, and very picky about it. Ho hum....

damn! Think I may head to London again just so you can take me shopping!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I may head to London again just so you can take me shopping!
It's an open invite - anyone around West London on a Saturday morning is welcome to join me. I'll warn I usually cycle round as it's the easiest way to do the loop, but it can easily be amended to work for cars, taxis or buses. Or even reversed to arrive in Kensington just in time to catch Hornets opening up.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
While picking up AE's for various members at Last Chance today, I found myself a pair of Frye Brando Engineer boots for $49.99...

Tobacco colored and look to be brand new... must have been the wrong size or style because these have pretty clearly never been worn...

95100_450_45.jpg

I hate you. lol.

jdmnbflo13

Reaction score
Nothing at the thrift stores this past week. However, I did pick up several pairs of Pantherella (some are 100% cotton, some are a cotton-nylon blend, there were no cashmere) at a local Marshall's for the final clearance price of $1.50 per pair.

SightseeMC

Reaction score
Finally hit it! R.M. Williams boots in very good shape (those scuffs are minor in real life & should disappear with a professional shine), so new they still have the ridge in front.

$14.50, mistakenly tagged as Boss (how?!?). Only problem, they are two sizes too small.
frown.gif
So I'll be selling them; expect a new thread on that shortly.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Finally hit it! R.M. Williams boots in very good shape (those scuffs are minor in real life & should disappear with a professional shine), so new they still have the ridge in front.

$14.50, mistakenly tagged as Boss (how?!?).

Very nice. Clearly they were mistagged because of the "BOSS" clearly written on the pull tabs.
laugh.gif

(And everyone knows Boss is made in Australia.)

juniper

Reaction score
Unworn M&S Wool/Silk biege/brown summer-weight small-pattern jacket. 10GBP (Retail 179GBP)

I've only been wearing "proper" (post-sf) clothes for about 6 months, so all my stuff is Autumn/Winter. Now looking to pick up some summer stuff.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A long sleeved white cotton casual shirt from the No Name studio.

The label looks like the one on my favorite night jacket, shown here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=7844

So it's from 10 Corso Como, which sounds like a great store.

Shirt has double breast pockets and a collar with long, rounded points, like a casual shirt from the thirties.

Five dollars.

blueorigami

Reaction score
Slow times recently, but I did pick up a pair of green Borrelli cotton pants at Filene's Basement on clearance for 33 dollars. The care instructions are a bit over the top, I felt, informing you to do your best to avoid exposing them to the horrific effects of ultraviolet light. This led me to wonder if they are not meant so much to clothe as be properly stored. Throwing caution to the wind however I wore them anyway to a b-day part with a beat up old jacket from the Salvation Army and felt relatively comfortable with their level of exposure to the harsh realities of nature.

mohwld

Reaction score
Hickey-Freeman "Canterbury", from SFO....after all the discounts, $150

Still marked with the $1,195 price tag!

NYCESQ

Reaction score
Yesterday, I picked up a beautiful 3/4 length Joseph Abboud chocolate shearling coat (suggested retail price of $2,660) at Syms for $229 after sale and discount coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads