• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Definitely!
I've heard first hand from employees how awful Goodwill treats them. Not just the disabled workers, but the regular workers as well. Many say they're very unhappy there but can't find work anywhere else. My brother worked for them for a very short time and told me corporate has very unreasonable expectations for their stores and employees and have forced certain pricing employees to read and memorize labels from magazines like GQ, Vogue and Esquire.

I'll see your brother and raise you one ex-sister-in-law (well, nearly--we were never married but lived in sin long enough). A high school dropout. Popped one kid after another, spaced just far enough apart to keep the government money coming. Finally, after being utterly and completely unemployed with no good excuse for 15 years or so, she finally got a job. Guess where? Turned her life around and, after a few years at Goodwill, she got on at Costco and is now a homeowner and paying taxes. Nobody but nobody would have given her a chance, but Goodwill did and she made the most of it.

Again, this may be chapter specific. I don't know about the place your brother worked. I can only speak from personal experience. Sure, they make you work, and they make you work hard. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
found this piece
thought is was pretty cool
English saddleback belt from BR with the old style logo

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some cool finds from today.

Cashmere shawl lapel J. Press dinner jacket with cocktail cuffs.

Wings + Horns hoodie

Great stuff.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeping my run of luck rolling (I hope). This lot cost me $20.

Two minis of Bvlgari The Rouge EDP

Two pairs of Dunkelman shoe trees in my size

North Face polar fleece vet. Very handy with the winter weather hitting us big-time.

TM Lewin tie. Not sure of this colour, but the silk is beautiful

C&J loafers. Vintage, but these ought to clean up quite nicely. Size 9EEE if someone's interested.

Found this Hawes and Curtis shirt in the $1 bargain rack

And this suit

I also went to the local parfumerie sale again. I picked up this lot, mostly testers. The haul included Hermes, Frapin, Annick Goutal, Acqua di Parma, Acqua di Biella, Piguet and Honore des Pres.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I went back to go get it...its in perfect condition...a size 43R...I'm a noob at this so how do you tell if a jacket is part of a suit or just a sports coat? Are there any identifiers to look for?

Thanks

I'm no expert, but the first thing I do is mentally imagine a pair of trousers in the same color and pattern as the jacket. In the case of your jacket, a pair of matching pants might have been possible at some point in history by some other label, but doubtful from Brooks Brothers.
In my experience, if it's a pinstriped jacket, it's likely an orphan. If it's double-breasted, it's likely an orphan. If there is a size or maker tag, and it has two sets of size indicators, i.e.: "43R/36W" it's definitely an orphan (43R being the jacket and 36W [36 Waist] being the pants that came with it).
I have picked up many a nice label orphan only to re-donate after listing on eBay 3 or 4 times, which was probably the best way for me to learn. I also browsed Brooks Brothers online and noted what they sold as sport coats vs. suits. Most tweeds, even if once part of a suit, can be used as sport coats, as can many plaids & checks, houndstooth, etc.
If it's something for myself and I know I have the right pants to wear with it, I pick it up. If it's for resale and I'm not sure, these days I'll leave it rather than be swayed by the label / maker.
Again, only personal experience and limited at that - someone else may well have more sure-fire ways of determining sport coat vs. suit coat missing trousers.
Have fun!

codhead

Reaction score

I can only speak from personal experience. Sure, they make you work, and they make you work hard. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Pity they can't reward hard work with real pay rates

messenger309

Reaction score
Found this today but left it because it was missing the pants...should I go back and get it!? Also it was made in usa and $15...thanks!
[/URL]

The guiding principle of an odd jacket (sport coat) is that it must not look like part of a suit. Otherwise the wearer might be mistaken for someone who simply forgot to put on the right pants, never a stylish look.

So odd jackets (sport coats) have features that distinguish them from suit coats.

• buttons will not match the coat
  • patch pockets
  • louder patterns that would look out of place as a suit
  • cloths with more texture than worsted wool
  • fewer than four buttons at the sleeve
  • buttons with two holes rather than four are considered more 'sporty'
  • a true blazer will always have metal buttons
  • vintage sport coats will often have detailing on them you would never see on a suit coat such as a self cinching belt (a Norfolk jacket) or whatnot
  • pinstripes always indicates an orphan

The trickiest orphans to tell are the solid worsted ones; usually navy. If you look close though, the buttons and the pockets will give it away. Having said that, I swapped MOPs onto a navy Canali orphan and it easily passes as a sport coat.

timmygoestothez

Reaction score
Two finds today, both AVAILABLE for trade. Where my 46Rs at?!?

(1) Polo Ralph Lauren Made in Italy (by Corneliani, yes?) Tweed SC with nice leather buttons and elbow patches. 3/2 roll. Looks like it was worn maybe a couple times. Still has spare buttons in one of the pockets.

(2) Ralph Lauren Purple Label (by St Andrews, yes?). This is an orphan, I think, but it seems like it could be rocked as a SC. Thoughts? Sorry that the pictures suck so much. I might try to take some outside later.

5% cashmere, 95% wool. How would you describe this pattern? Puppytooth with purple overcheck? Also, check out the flapped chest pocket. Is there a term for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads