• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was a day I wish I had a smart phone... Stopped in a thrift and they had 6 pairs of "Florsheim Imperial" black longwing shoes, new / never worn, but priced at $10 as "special price". So I bought one pair thinking if I lost $10 it won't kill me. Poking around on eBay, they are vintage new old stock / dead stock, v-cleat, 5-nail...recently sold for up to $200. On the other hand, all 6 pairs were size 12AAA which would probably take me 3 years to flip, so, probably best I left the others.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was a day I wish I had a smart phone... Stopped in a thrift and they had 6 pairs of "Florsheim Imperial" black longwing shoes, new / never worn, but priced at $10 as "special price". So I bought one pair thinking if I lost $10 it won't kill me. Poking around on eBay, they are vintage new old stock / dead stock, v-cleat, 5-nail...recently sold for up to $200. On the other hand, all 6 pairs were size 12AAA which would probably take me 3 years to flip, so, probably best I left the others.
I would have bought them all, the people that buy imperials on ebay for 200 are usually #menswear noobs told by gq that they need a pair of vintage longwings and don't know what different widths even are

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Just some cuff links today, but some of my best found.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
So awesome! + HUGE THANKS for the 3 Tommy Bahama "M" Shirts!!! Perfect for a fathers day gift!!

I seem to be only finding shirts recently. Pretty much every thing is available

Did see this. Prob should have looked harder for the jacket...
This is Belvest right?
Recent Belvest!

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have bought them all, the people that buy imperials on ebay for 200 are usually #menswear noobs told by gq that they need a pair of vintage longwings and don't know what different widths even are
Going back to get the others is definitely on my mind...but the place is 1.5 hours away one-way, not open tomorrow (Sundays), and I couldn't make it back 'til next weekend, by which time they'll probably be gone even tho it's in a podunk town. Oh well - got the best pair, zero marks (couple had some light rubbing), so I'll be happy with them.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help in dating this hat, as well as tell me the style? I believe it to be true vintage, and I also believe it to be a wide-brimmed fedora (akin to what Hasidic and Orthodox Jews sometimes wear). Then I saw this article and that sort of sealed it as far as the style, but the hat age itself is a mystery - I have seen them with white lining, but never red. Anyway, images and text in the spoiler:

Bought this hard-case traveler hat box today:

Inside was a hat:

Borsalino:

More specifically, a Borsalino Alessandria, Cappello Gold, which I have never heard of (I've heard of the Alessandria, but not Cappello Gold), nor seen any Borsalino with a red lining (not that I have seen very many):

Very dusty, needs a cleaning, and missing one button on the band. Also have never seen a Borsalino with the "B" or "Borsalino" on the band:

Given that the text on the hat box appears to be in Hebrew, and the hat resembles the afore-mentioned wide-brimmed fedora that the hipsters were into circa 2011, I'm leaning towards that...but no idea on the approx. age though it seems to be true vintage...

Thanks for any tips!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You always make me feel so old.

Synergy: Today I learned the Starbucks manager who always flirts with me, the older woman, matronly-bosomed, she of the two divorces and three kids, a cougar, a MILF, user of expressions like Well, when you get to be my age, sweety..., is in fact -- my age.

:censored:

FML.

Last edited:

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going back to get the others is definitely on my mind...but the place is 1.5 hours away one-way, not open tomorrow (Sundays), and I couldn't make it back 'til next weekend, by which time they'll probably be gone even tho it's in a podunk town.  Oh well - got the best pair, zero marks (couple had some light rubbing), so I'll be happy with them.

Let go of any regrets. You did just fine to pck up the best pair and leave the rest.

Shoes that large and narrow are hard to flip, even on eBay. Any buyer who didn't know that they were narrow would then write you back asking if they could return them. It just isn't worth the hassle.

AHS

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let go of any regrets. You did just fine to pck up the best pair and leave the rest.

Shoes that large and narrow are hard to flip, even on eBay. Any buyer who didn't know that they were narrow would then write you back asking if they could return them. It just isn't worth the hassle.

AHS

Thank you - I agree with this - when I list them I will have to underline and bold the size and width and state ten times that there are no returns for "does not fit" and that a prospective buyer must know they wear a 12AAA. In any case. a decent score, maybe not brag-worthy but an interesting find today that deviated from the norm.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Howdy all. So I've lurked for a while now and I've gained a lot of knowledge on what to look for in a thrift. This is my first time posting a thrift haul and I'd like feedback on how I did. Everything is available as well and I can take more pictures if need be. These are phone camera pictures because I can't find the camera cord to upload pictures to the computer.

YSL tie.

Is this the "RRL" Ralph Lauren I see talked about here sometimes? I found another pair that had the same tag but it was made in China so I passed. Can anyone give a rundown on exactly how Ralph Lauren names work? 34x30

7 for all Mankind jeans. 34 waist. No length marked. What points do I measure for the length? Top to bottom?

Givenchy Tie, a little crumpled

This is my more curious find. I don't know much about Bill Blass as a brand but it's 100% cashmere. No size available on the jacket but it's quite big on me and I wear a 38. I figure about 44.

I'm quite new to all this like I said and I'm doing my best to learn. I spent about 20 dollars on everything (with a couple more things for myself as well) and would appreciate feedback on these items.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can anyone help in dating this hat, as well as tell me the style? I believe it to be true vintage, and I also believe it to be a wide-brimmed fedora (akin to what Hasidic and Orthodox Jews sometimes wear). Then I saw this article and that sort of sealed it as far as the style, but the hat age itself is a mystery - I have seen them with white lining, but never red. Anyway, images and text in the spoiler:
Bought this hard-case traveler hat box today: Inside was a hat: Borsalino: More specifically, a Borsalino Alessandria, Cappello Gold, which I have never heard of (I've heard of the Alessandria, but not Cappello Gold), nor seen any Borsalino with a red lining (not that I have seen very many): Very dusty, needs a cleaning, and missing one button on the band. Also have never seen a Borsalino with the "B" or "Borsalino" on the band: Given that the text on the hat box appears to be in Hebrew, and the hat resembles the afore-mentioned wide-brimmed fedora that the hipsters were into circa 2011, I'm leaning towards that...but no idea on the approx. age though it seems to be true vintage...
Thanks for any tips!
Hold on one sec, Ive called in the Yiddish reserves. 3...2...1....

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bought this hard-case traveler hat box today: Inside was a hat: Borsalino: More specifically, a Borsalino Alessandria, Cappello Gold, which I have never heard of (I've heard of the Alessandria, but not Cappello Gold), nor seen any Borsalino with a red lining (not that I have seen very many): Very dusty, needs a cleaning, and missing one button on the band. Also have never seen a Borsalino with the "B" or "Borsalino" on the band: Given that the text on the hat box appears to be in Hebrew, and the hat resembles the afore-mentioned wide-brimmed fedora that the hipsters were into circa 2011, I'm leaning towards that...but no idea on the approx. age though it seems to be true vintage...
Thanks for any tips!
no way to say for sure, but probably 5 - 7 years old max. i guarantee it was owned by an orthodox jewish yeshiva fellow. i have a very similar hat myself.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Howdy all. So I've lurked for a while now and I've gained a lot of knowledge on what to look for in a thrift. This is my first time posting a thrift haul and I'd like feedback on how I did. Everything is available as well and I can take more pictures if need be. These are phone camera pictures because I can't find the camera cord to upload pictures to the computer.

YSL tie.

Is this the "RRL" Ralph Lauren I see talked about here sometimes? I found another pair that had the same tag but it was made in China so I passed. Can anyone give a rundown on exactly how Ralph Lauren names work? 34x30

7 for all Mankind jeans. 34 waist. No length marked. What points do I measure for the length? Top to bottom?

Givenchy Tie, a little crumpled

This is my more curious find. I don't know much about Bill Blass as a brand but it's 100% cashmere. No size available on the jacket but it's quite big on me and I wear a 38. I figure about 44.

I'm quite new to all this like I said and I'm doing my best to learn. I spent about 20 dollars on everything (with a couple more things for myself as well) and would appreciate feedback on these items.

Hello,

YSL did have a good thing going, then leased the name (for lack of a better term) and churned out a lot of junk. That said, I do not know if that particular YSL tie is good YSL or bad, but I never pick them up because 99% of what's out there is the bad - if someone knows for sure, they will speak up.

Those are not the RRL you're looking for...RRL only says RRL, not Ralph Ralph Lauren. Chances of finding real RRL in a thrift is slim to none, but it has been done.

The 7FAMK jeans you might flip for a profit - depends on size and condition, as well as where they were made. You'd need to also measure inseam, rise, and leg opening...and outseam too for good measure. Inseam is measured from the crotch where the two leg seams meet the seam going up the middle. Outseam is the seam on the outside of the legs - state whether it includes the waistband or not.

Givenchy: same as YSL - there is good, and mostly bad, and I don't know between the two so I personally avoid.

Bill Blass - that's older / 80's maybe? But being 100% cashmere might just score you some dollars if you're planning to sell...listed as "vintage cashmere" and downplay the Bill Blass as that's a pretty old tag. I have learned to almost never buy a sport coat without a size tag unless it's something truly desirable. I have left Italian Armani's behind at the thrifts (which are more common than one might think) because of a lack of size tag...people just want them to be sized, along with detailed measurements.

Speaking of measuring, I'm sure someone here can tell you how to measure well, but feel free to check out a listing of mine which explains how / where I measure as well as includes a little diagram of where I measure (not pushing product here, just an example).

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads