Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

To flip: Oxxford, Talbot Best of Class shirts, Sulka, etc. Decent day.

For me: Mint condition top-of-the-line Pioneer receiver, $9.99

Sweet!! What model reciever?

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Sweet!! What model reciever?

I think "top of the line" means something other than what you think it means.

A Pioneer Elite VSX84txsi doesn't get thrifted for $10.

[​IMG]

That is the "top of the line" reciever from Pioneer. What you got is called a "very good" or "high end" reciever, although we'd have to do a thourough inspection to be sure it hasn't been refurbished or cannibalized for parts.

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

Well, probably not the highest-end model, but it was a $600+ receiver less than ten years ago. Works for what I need it for. The model is VSX-something. Stop crushing my hopes and dreams, Tokyo Prick.

Edit: Found a similar one to mine on ebay, looks like they are selling for about $550-600 used. Not the same as the $2000+ models, but fine for me.

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Stop crushing my hopes and dreams, Tokyo Prick.
    Are you giving him the short end of the stick? [​IMG]

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Stop crushing my hopes and dreams, Tokyo Prick.

I'm sorry, I didn't know it would be so easy.

[​IMG]

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I saw a awesome dinner jacket with skinny shawl lapel and one button at my top secret vintage source. Full canvas construction, the tag said 1962. Looked like something 007 would wear. I wanted so bad for it to fit but is was 42L.

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

Passed on a magenta 5-button suit with metallic silver pinstripes that looked to be about a size 44XXXLong, as well as a few shirts that looked to be exact copies of the 'Latest Style' shirts off the Jantzen Tailor website.

I can go back and pick these items up if any forum members would like.

8. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Passed on a magenta 5-button suit with metallic silver pinstripes that looked to be about a size 44XXXLong, as well as a few shirts that looked to be exact copies of the 'Latest Style' shirts off the Jantzen Tailor website.

I can go back and pick these items up if any forum members would like.

Did they have pink/white spectators to wear with the suit?

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Well, probably not the highest-end model, but it was a $600+ receiver less than ten years ago. Works for what I need it for. The model is VSX-something. Stop crushing my hopes and dreams, Tokyo Prick.

Edit: Found a similar one to mine on ebay, looks like they are selling for about $550-600 used. Not the same as the $2000+ models, but fine for me.

Awesome find! I'm happy with my Pioneer TX-9100 stereo tuner and SA-9100 amp I got for $10. Still ahd the original boxes, manuals, dust covers fron 1973, I think it was. Great stuff. Anyway, back on track:

Picked up a 3 button black Etro blazer with white stripes. My favorite, but the top button is missing 1/2 of it [​IMG] $8

- Charcoal Corneliani 3 btn suit (42R jacket and pants fit like they were made for me!)
    $14.99
    - Angis B. white dress shirt $6

All from the local Goodwill!

10. blueorigami

blueorigami Well-Known Member

Yesterday ushered in half-price President's Day sales all across the fertile fields of Chicago's thrift stores. Visions of double monks and cashmere v-necks danced in my head as I ventured forth early Monday morning. Unfortunately it was it was not to be. 5 stores and just a Brooks OCBD and two pairs of what turned out to be too large chinos later I was back at my apartment making up a grocery list and folding laundry. Oh well...thrill of the hunt and all that..

11. c55

c55 Senior member

zegna lambswool tie originally priced bergdorf goodman $140 - got it for $10 new (Marshalls)

passed on a Isaia light green cord sportcoat, working buttons, really nice material, little tiny pen spot on it - $50 (Marshalls) - could have flipped, but all set.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Just in time for spring...

Norman Hilton (bullet proof) brown tweed 3/2 sack suit from the late lamented Richard's of Mountain Brook, (second pic is more accurate on color):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$7 (after 30% off)

13. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Stopped by TJ Maxx today and found two Charvet ties and one Bizzocchi tie, all from BG, for $30 each. This is the second TJ Maxx in my area that has had a recent shipment of Charvet ties, so you guys may want to check your local stores.

14. mohwld

mohwld Well-Known Member

Was at my local NR, found a $625 pair of Prada cap toes for $129. Got lucky because they were stashed by the UK size (6.5) where hardly anyone looks...

15. jonnyunpleasant

jonnyunpleasant Member

I went to Montreal last week, and I was very excited to go thrift shopping in a big Canadian City. I walked into the Salvation Army (or ArmÃ[​IMG]e du Salut, as they called it) with hopes of getting a really warm wool coat or perhaps some swanky new snowboots, but it sucked. They had no good men's clothing. All I got was a crappy Canadian beer shirt because it was the only piece of clothing I could find with French writing on it.

This a warning to anyone who's planning on going to Montreal and thrift shopping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.