• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Easy - I'm willing to bet the same as you, this stuff screams professional musician. Minneapolis is a big music city and I know of a lot of big-time musicians are from Minnesota. Bob Dylan, Prince, Eddie Cochran and a few others are from bunch of others all hail from here.
I'll ease your mind; it wasn't even close. If they had been there they wouldn't have even made it out onto the floor! Haha!

One of my favs the Jayhawks are also from Minneapolis. Also the Replacements.

Maybe this stuff belonged to Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum? If there was ever a dude I could see rocking this kind of stuff to be cool....it would be him.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tirailleur, good to see you posting over here, I didn't know you wandered through these parts.
fing02[1].gif

I am subscribed to the thread so I wander every now and then.

green_machine

Reaction score
i dont haveanything worthy to post until the thread cools a little. But I wanted to share this pic of a goodwill near by. In Miami graffiti is a fine art.

Transplanted Banksy???

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feel small compared to some of the above, but I'm hoping my luck is changing.

Paul Smith London silk pocket square
Paul Smith London cufflinks, in box
Vintage silver cufflinks from India, showing the goddess Lakshmi on a lotus flower. Very intricate work, quite nice.
2 x Brooks Brothers shirts (yawn, but they're staples I can use)
Canali tie, new

and for my good lady

NWOT Lanvin purse
2 x full testers of Harajuku Lovers perfume.

Saw a very nice Hickey Freeman suit (very rare in these parts) but too big for me, so I left it.

ilikethelights

Reaction score

One of my favs the Jayhawks are also from Minneapolis. Also the Replacements.

Maybe this stuff belonged to Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum? If there was ever a dude I could see rocking this kind of stuff to be cool....it would be him.

Pirner's still solidly a flannel man

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:facepalm:

What's sillier than ignorant comments like these?
back handed compliments...

Nat won.. just leave it at that fellas...

I don't think TonyL's comment was meant bachanded. I certainly didn't mean mine that way. I am genuinely happy for Nat, and as I said, I see the aesthetic value and artistry in the items. But its still not my style. Its like any art: I don't undertand nor would I put in my house many modern pieces, but I am still impressed by and appreciate many of them. That's all I was getting at: are they merely objects du art (spelling?), or are they intended for daily use. I now have my answer, which is why this thread rocks.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't think TonyL's comment was meant bachanded. I certainly didn't mean mine that way. I am genuinely happy for Nat, and as I said, I see the aesthetic value and artistry in the items. But its still not my style. Its like any art: I don't undertand nor would I put in my house many modern pieces, but I am still impressed by and appreciate many of them. That's all I was getting at: are they merely objects du art (spelling?), or are they intended for daily use. I now have my answer, which is why this thread rocks.

Your post didn't come off like that. It was more of curiosity than. "Oh it is ugly **** because I don't understand. I guess I am happy for you" which was what homeboy did. I hope this makes sense because I am using a phone to rspo d and my phat phingas make it difficult

Shiny

Reaction score
Congrats, Nat! Couldn't have happened to a better dude.

This thread continues to rock along. Consistent solid finds along with the occasional explosion (thrifted Ferrari, Nat's SWD haul). And, no detours into gun rights or the efficacy of using USPS stuff to pack our packages :nodding: Great job.

almosthandsome

Reaction score
Congratulations, Nataku.
worship.gif
I would have required smelling salts and new pants.

And now for something completely different:
I've got some vintage brooks bros. pieces I wanted to offer to the thread first, just because I thought they were kind of special and wanted to help the shorter dudes out.

Brooks Brothers SC special order from 1968. 38S. Olive-Brown with light glencheck, 3/2, 2button cuffs, skele-lining.

chest 19
shoulder 16 1/4
length 27
sleeve 22

Has this same lining damage at both shoulders.

BB Makers 40S blue/gray bold-stripe 2 button, 2 button cuff, skele lining, flat front, coin pocket, fu cuffs (sad for months this isn't my size)

chest 21
shoulder 18
length 28 1/2
right sl. 24 1/2
left sl. 24

waist 33
inseam 26 1/2
rise 12
cuffs 1 3/4

GM-H

Reaction score
Anyone???
Is this fake? I think its women's because the xl is a little tight on me. The thing that threw me off was the zipper thingy that says Burberrys and the pocket tag being Burberry London. Any thoughts?

ocooney

Reaction score
Amazing haul Nat. Congrats.

I had a much more meager haul this week, but a few firsts:

Ties:

Zegna, Rubinacci, HF and Tom Ford (1st TF piece for me)

And I picked up this women's rain coat with detachable hood and sleeves based solely on the Prada zipper pull.
Any info appreciated and it's available.

Also picked up a pair of Paraboot shoes, my first, as a beater pair for the rain and a Trafalgar belt in my size.

Finally, shout outs to Noob and GMMcL for some really awesome trades. Thanks guys.

O

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just a few things from this week...

Hugo Boss 70/30 cotton/linen seersucker jacket

La Martina polo shirt

Etro polo shirt

H&M collaboration with Comme des Garçons women's blouse. A few years old I think.

Charles Tyrwhitt pants

This tie cost next to nothing. I only got it because I was curious. The keeper is gone and it doesn't say Versace on the lining, but is it anything? I see tags similar to that on some Versace and Gucci ties, so I just thought I'd get it to see if I could find out...knockoff? Real? Just another no-name tie?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hans that is a Versace content tag but I dont think Versace as the ones from that era would have the Gianni Versace woven in the back taffeta in the tie blade.

GMH Im 50/50 on the Burberry

Blek le Rat is awesomesauce and I wish I was 16 in the middle of Miami.

DM7 did you find any Van Herpen yet?

Nat are you parading around MN in full goth Ninja?

How many people have booked flights to MN based on Nats haul?

Im about to go out into the field

In a Ferrari

Dont know why Im writing Haiku style

But these are the days of our thrift lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads