• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
AAAAHHHHHH I am feeling like Charlie Brown here... I went to stick the white napkin in my Lands End Blue Blazer (My new Isaia blazer I bought on EBay arrived today in the mail too late to take with me) has the F****** pocket sewn shut!

Forgo the pocket square. Unless your meeting is with a bunch of StyleForum users, nobody will care.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is me rocking LITERALLY the same model vintage J&Ms, in cigar. COOL! IIRC, Dig was looking for a pair, so get at him.
[/SPOILER]
Nice! And is that a ******* full corduroy suit????? :slayer:

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! And is that a ******* full corduroy suit?????
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

It was Savile row if I recall (A&S?)

One thrift store today - a Valentino suit with the Neiman Marcus tag still in the pocket (not photographed because it fits),
Isn't that when we really REALLY need pics?

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice! And is that a ******* full corduroy suit????? :slayer:

No, it's a
F*CKING ANDERSON & SHEPPARD CORDUROY MOTHERF*CKING SUIT! AND IT F*CKING FITS!!

True story: One of my jobs is teaching lawschool with my brother. I wore this suit to class one night. I was late. He'd started the lecture. He stopped, mid-sentence, and said almost those exact same words: "Dude, are you wearing a corduroy suit?!"

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chiron, those PRL DB's are the shuweet! And ATLJohn, :drool: :worship: :worship2: Just amazing!

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, it's a

True story: One of my jobs is teaching lawschool with my brother. I wore this suit to class one night. I was late. He'd started the lecture. He stopped, mid-sentence, and said almost those exact same words: "Dude, are you wearing a corduroy suit?!"

Head Aspload...... Come to think of it, I do remember you posting it. :slayer:

Last edited:

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure if serious? new jackets always come with the pockets stitched up. carefully remove the stitching and insert your napkin. now you are ready for a nice spaghetti dinner.
Totally serious, and totally new at this... This was a gift a few years ago from the wife and I wore it to church once in a while. Other than that I had a suit for funerals and weddings. Have never tried to stick anything in the pocket so never knew it was sewn.

That's basting and it's totally normal. It will feel wrong, but just grab the two parts firmly and pull. Don't try to cut it or you're likely to slice the jacket itself. Just trust that the cotton thread is weaker than the wool.
Lucy, are you reallllly gonna hold the football this time? Not sure if I am ready to do this before my meeting tomorrow
smile.gif
Nothing like going with my pocket ripped off
shog[1].gif

A long long time ago I bought a jacket and it had a tag on the sleeve. I tried to razor it off and wound up with a small hole in the arm.
I thought it was a sign of quality that my new jackets from ebay didn't have the pockets sewn shut
shog[1].gif

I am trying though, I have purchased Flusser "Dressing the man" and Roetzel "Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion". Give me about 10 years and I may be able to speak intelligently on the subject.

CesarC

Reaction score
lookngr8, I'm glad you got use out of what had been a regretted pick-up, but I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Puts everything in perspective really, especially since feeling down a bit recently. Shoeluv, good job on the squares! Some nice ones in there, hopefully MZhammer is no longer jealous.

EDIT: GMMcL, crazy fit!

I did manage to get out a couple of times this weekend, and there's a strange coincidence of finds (interesting, not particularly good) but I'll get photos later in natural daylight.

----------------------------------------

Thrift-ish Fits
Was excited about spring finally arriving, so took photos of fits from Thursday, Friday, Saturday last week. First two were rare occasions that called for a tie, then a picnic.

Day 1:

Details:
Tie: Zegna, from Brianpore
PS: T&A, thrifted
Shirt: Brandini, $2 at Filene's going-out-of-business
Blazer: Andre Villard, thrifted
Khaki's: BB, from Tubs
Socks: Cole Haan, Marshalls
Shoes: Nettleton shell, e-thrifted

Day 2:

Details:
Tie: Ferragamo, thrifted
PS: Michelson's, C21
Shirt: CT, online introductory deal (below clearance prices)
Belt: Trafalgar, from Westling
Suit: Stafford, thrifted
Watch: from size38R
Shoes: C&J, consignment shop

Day 3:

Details:
Shirt: old BR (baggy, but cool), from barrelntrigger
Belt: Italian full-grain, from local discount store
Shorts: Dockers, thrifted
Flip-flops: Call it Spring, discontinued clearance

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lookngr8,
I'm glad you got use out of what had been a regretted pick-up, but I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Puts everything in perspective really, especially since feeling down a bit recently. Shoeluv, good job on the squares! Some nice ones in there, hopefully MZhammer is no longer jealous. EDIT: GMMcL, crazy fit! I did manage to get out a couple of times this weekend, and there's a strange coincidence of finds (interesting, not particularly good) but I'll get photos later in natural daylight. ---------------------------------------- Thrift-ish Fits Was excited about spring finally arriving, so took photos of fits from Thursday, Friday, Saturday last week. First two were rare occasions that called for a tie, then a picnic. Day 1: Details: Tie: Zegna, from Brianpore PS: T&A, thrifted Shirt: Brandini, $2 at Filene's going-out-of-business Blazer: Andre Villard, thrifted Khaki's: BB, from Tubs Socks: Cole Haan, Marshalls Shoes: Nettleton shell, e-thrifted Day 2:
Details: Tie: Ferragamo, thrifted PS: Michelson's, C21 Shirt: CT, online introductory deal (below clearance prices) Belt: Trafalgar, from Westling Suit: Stafford, thrifted Watch: from size38R Shoes: C&J, consignment shop Day 3: Details: Shirt: old BR (baggy, but cool), from barrelntrigger Belt: Italian full-grain, from local discount store Shorts: Dockers, thrifted Flip-flops: Call it Spring, discontinued clearance
Thanks! I like day 3 But the fit above is from the winter. Here was today's thrift fit: It was cold again here, hence the flannel trou and cashmere SC.
HF custom (for someone else; it's secondhand) British Textiles (by Ascot Chang) Some bespoke Neapolitain tiemaker I can't recall -- again, secondhand Square unknown; silk Trafalgar Corneliani Pantherella Alden for Peal

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the white square again, it is way to thin to be a napkin. It does have machine edges though, so maybe a handkerchief?

Anyway, drove the 4 hour trip in 9 hours due to a few stops at Savers and finally reached my hotel and realized I brought my dress shirts, my jackets, and 2 pair of jeans
facepalm.gif
. Forgot all of my dress pants for my first meeting with my customer! Hmmm first impression will be highly polished AE 5th Aves, sharply pressed BB shirt, navy blue blazer with a white napkin
rotflmao.gif
in the breast pocket, and a pair of dark blue jeans...
baldy[1].gif
. After this, I am keeping an entire set of clothes in a garment bag in my car for emergencies.
You can easily remove the basting in the breast pocket with a seam ripper. My girl used a pair of dull scissor once and it worked like a charm!
Forgo the pocket square. Unless your meeting is with a bunch of StyleForum users, nobody will care.
Haha! So true!
No, it's a

**** yeah! I was just going to ask you where's that bad ass Huntsman corduroy suit but here's my answer. How did you reply back to his ass?!
lookngr8, I'm glad you got use out of what had been a regretted pick-up, but I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Puts everything in perspective really, especially since feeling down a bit recently. Shoeluv, good job on the squares! Some nice ones in there, hopefully MZhammer is no longer jealous.

EDIT: GMMcL, crazy fit!

I did manage to get out a couple of times this weekend, and there's a strange coincidence of finds (interesting, not particularly good) but I'll get photos later in natural daylight.

----------------------------------------

Thrift-ish Fits
Was excited about spring finally arriving, so took photos of fits from Thursday, Friday, Saturday last week. First two were rare occasions that called for a tie, then a picnic.

Day 1:

Details:
Tie: Zegna, from Brianpore
PS: T&A, thrifted
Shirt: Brandini, $2 at Filene's going-out-of-business
Blazer: Andre Villard, thrifted
Khaki's: BB, from Tubs
Socks: Cole Haan, Marshalls
Shoes: Nettleton shell, e-thrifted

Day 2:

Details:
Tie: Ferragamo, thrifted
PS: Michelson's, C21
Shirt: CT, online introductory deal (below clearance prices)
Belt: Trafalgar, from Westling
Suit: Stafford, thrifted
Watch: from size38R
Shoes: C&J, consignment shop

Day 3:

Details:
Shirt: old BR (baggy, but cool), from barrelntrigger
Belt: Italian full-grain, from local discount store
Shorts: Dockers, thrifted
Flip-flops: Call it Spring, discontinued clearance
Wow! Wicked fits, man! Nice shirt, too! Are you a size 36? I forget.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, Valentino and Versace are real, but ancient.

Can you define ancient? Everything I'm finding online suggests 2000's (maybe 90s?). Is that actually ancient?

Last edited:

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't even remember where I saw these. I passed on them, but took these pics so y'all could let me know if I blew it.

1. Borsalino makes suits? Pretty sure it was fused.

Then here I though, "that sounds like a name I heard on one o' them intertumblers", then I thought "Made In China", and passed. Are these any good?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lady I work with is interested in thrifting, and she occasionally goes to thrift stores, so I told her anything she finds I will split the profit with her. Today I leave my office for a second and when I return there are 3 dress shirts on my chair - 1 RLPL, 1 Canali and a Talbott. I guess our CEO put them in the kitchen for anyone who wants them, something he does every once in a while. I also found an awesome purple label, short sleeve linen shirt in a size medium that I'm hoping fits me. Pics later.

RLPL

Canali

Talbott

My personal find for the day, linen:

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has heard of Warrior footwear or own a pair? I grew up wearing those. I just bought a pair for myself and a pair for my girl at super cheap prices. They have surpassed my love for Converse All Stars! I've just found out they are importing them to Europe and US. Stoked!

http://warriorfootwear.com/store.html

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can you define ancient? Everything I'm finding online suggests 2000's (maybe 90s?). Is that actually ancient?

Definitely 90s, not 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads