• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
The shell Florsheims will clean up great. Make sure you condition them thoroughly!! I have now had two pairs of vintage shells crack on me because they were dried out.

I will be very cautious indeed. This is my first shell, so I'm currently reading around trying to figure out how best to do this.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
Sounds like it is probably not a real Zegna, but luckily it was bought for me to wear (as I did today), and not to sell. Perhaps some small brand-conscious part of me is disappointed, but it is still my nicest looking tie. Found a couple pairs of shoes today. Found some cordovan Florsheim's in my size. Not too badly used by my eye (or at least by Goodwill standards), although they could clearly use some care. $8. .
No, that Zegna tie is authentic - I just picked up one of the same era that has "Italy" printed under the name. What size are the Florsheims?

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Had a bit of luck today. I found this gorgeous baby alpaca/wool sweater/jacket piece by Bobby Jones Collection. I know Bobby Jones isn't exactly a SF-endorsed label, but this jacket is beautiful...

I then went to Half-Price Books to use my 40% off coupon on a book I've been eyeing for awhile...

worship.gif
for both.

Last night I was hoping to pick up a reference book for school with my coupon but my 2.5 year old son was with me and I couldn't pass up "The Incredibles" at 40% off.
satisfied.gif

About a 15 years ago I came across a handful of books in 1/2 Price that must have been catalogues given to buyers at fashion shows: they were these huge, 100+ page soft-cover books full of photos of runway looks. I've never seen anything like them since. I'd be willing to buy those at full price every year but have no idea where to look. In recent years I've given up on fashion books at my 1/2 Price Books (the huge, corporate headquarters store is a near the house) - unless I need advice from Carson Kressley on how to look "fierce".

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a great like-new white dress shirt from Charvet today. $4.99

I also found a beautiful light blue 2 roll 1 button jacket from the original Dunhill Tailors in NYC. Loads of handwork. It was a beautiful jacket. Side vents, from their "Readywear collection". Sadly, I left it as I'm pretty sure it was an orphaned suit-jacket. It had dark navy buttons. Oh well...

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good haul today:

-Brioni Roma f/c dress shirt in blue (size 15 so it will be on here).
-newer lacoste sweater (my size)
-Burberry button down (size L but it fits)
-Versace tie

Glad my 5 year old suggested going thrifting tonight.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Found a great like-new white dress shirt from Charvet today. $4.99

I also found a beautiful light blue 2 roll 1 button jacket from the original Dunhill Tailors in NYC. Loads of handwork. It was a beautiful jacket. Side vents, from their "Readywear collection". Sadly, I left it as I'm pretty sure it was an orphaned suit-jacket. It had dark navy buttons. Oh well...

You didn't feel like changing out the buttons?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, the color of this jacket would have made it hard to find new buttons. Both brass or horn buttons would have looked really out of place. It was a light blue/grayish color. The color also turned me off. It reminded me of all those musty polyester suits from the 70's that seem to populate thrift store racks.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Sadly, the color of this jacket would have made it hard to find new buttons. Both brass or horn buttons would have looked really out of place. It was a light blue/grayish color. The color also turned me off. It reminded me of all those musty polyester suits from the 70's that seem to populate thrift store racks.

Understood. I occasionally see a nice Hickey or Brioni that is obviously a suit jacket but they've added gold or silver buttons to it to make it look like a blazer. I guess I can understand the motivation if you spent the money to buy it new and ruined the pants somehow but it just doesn't look right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads