Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Oops - duplicate post!

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Found an awesome blackwatch plaid jacket from the 60's - real skinny lapels, slim cut, high stance 2B, short double vents. Unfortunately, the sleeves were about 2" too short for me, so I walked out of the store with just a flannel shirt.

This particular thrift store has several special racks - one for just Tommy Hilfiger clothing, one for just Fubu, one for Nautica, and one for seasonal items. The seasonal items this month were pink and red lingere - panties, thongs, teddies, camis, and bras - all used [​IMG]

3. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Dunno if outlet stores qualify for this thread, but I can't help but brag some more about my new favorite tie. Its a RL Black Label navy woven, 3 inches across, found at the bottom of a drawer of some truly awful blue label ties in the Polo outlet at Tanger on Long Island. $14.99. Some might say a tie like this should have a straight across, rather than a tirangular bottom, but I say sour grapes on you. It's longer than any of my other ties, like its made for a tall guy or intended to have the narrow side the same length as the wide (a la the Sartorilaist's beloved italian style), but I find this just makes it work all-the-better with a twice-around-four-in-hand knot. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

...Some might say a tie like this should have a straight across, rather than a tirangular bottom...
    Actually, your tie is a grenadine rather than a knit, which is the type of tie that is usually straight across at the bottom. Grenadines are woven silk, although they do resemble knits in texture. As your picture shows, the tie is constructed as a 'regular' tie rather than a knit.

Grenadines are quite elegant, and have a strong following on the forum. It was an excellent pickup. [​IMG]

5. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Grenadines are quite elegant, and have a strong following on the forum. It was an excellent pickup. [​IMG]

really? I guess its fancier than I took it for. Do you think it'd be sufficiently formal for an april wedding? Paired with maybe a medium grey suit?

6. blueorigami

blueorigami Well-Known Member

Last week I made the rounds to a couple of my southwest side favorites. I found a nice Lords and Taylor house brand navy cashmere sweater for 3.00 and am wearing it proudly around the office post dry-cleaning. I also snagged a pair of like new J. Crew chinos (4 dollars), nothing to write home about but great for carefree casual wear, and a some nice green Irish linen trousers (2.50). My piece de resistance however was a medium blue Borrelli shirt (2.80) found at my last (and usually most disappointing) stop. It has all its gaudy MOP buttons, more handwork than I've ever seen before (not that my experience is all that extensive) and a great feel. It's worn a bit in the cuffs but that just means I can wear it without worrying too much about inevitable spillage and/or collision with food stuffs.

7. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I just took possesion of my new E-Bay RM Williams craftsmen boots in Roo leather...the guy only wore them twice, then broke his anke and could not wear them. They are totally pristine. I paid $100.00! These things are amazing!

8. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Ok, so today I stopped by a few thrifts, I found a beautiful Gieves and Hawkes suit, obviously hand made, the pockets were still sewn shut. Lovely blue with white roped pin, double breasted (6x4), fully canvassed. $15.00. Oh, and everything fits....
    funny though, when I looked it over, the inside tag, where it states the model etc. it said made in Italy...WTF?

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Ok, so today I stopped by a few thrifts, I found a beautiful Gieves and Hawkes suit, obviously hand made, the pockets were still sewn shut. Lovely blue with white roped pin, double breasted (6x4), fully canvassed. $15.00. Oh, and everything fits....
    funny though, when I looked it over, the inside tag, where it states the model etc. it said made in Italy...WTF?

The Gieves & Hawkes sold in the US were almost all made by Hickey-Freeman under license. However, Gieves & Hawkes in the UK sold RTW made by d'Avenza at one point (not all of their RTW). I believe they now sell RTW made by Wensum as well as by a good Italian maker at a higher price point. Long ago, their RTW was made by Cheshire Barrie.

10. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Who would you suspect made it? I have no way of telling how old it is, it is very well made and loads of hand stitched details. Any ideas, please share. I dig the suit, and for $15.00 who cares!

11. juniper

juniper Senior member

Bespoke or MTM three-piece navy 3/4'' ropestripe suit. George Plenderleith of Savile row, 1972. Working buttonholes, hacking pockets. Waistcoat slightly too tight, so to be altered. Jacket and trousers perfect. Twenty quid [​IMG]

12. SightseeMC

SightseeMC Member

I'm always jealous of the fantastic finds you guys have. Nothing so phenomenal has crossed my path here in the SW, just a few $2 Nordstrom shirts and some $4 top designer Ts (Zegna, etc.)

But I did find some silk Tommy Bahama Relax pants at my favorite consignment store for $17.50. Only bought 1 pair (vanilla/ivory...sweet for spring), went back to buy one of the other pairs the next day and they were already gone...as was the angora sport coat in my size. [​IMG]

13. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Burberry Prorsum trench (for my sister) from the Salvation Army $10. Woven Barbera tie from FB $20. The tie is a little fuzzy but I don't mind (spezzatura)

14. VMan

VMan Senior member

To flip: Oxxford, Talbot Best of Class shirts, Sulka, etc. Decent day.

For me: Mint condition top-of-the-line Pioneer receiver, $9.99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.