1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

size 38R what were those cargos with side zippers in the background of the second pic?

2. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ "Frenchy" was before my time. I remember him from his incarnation as "Valium". He was badass.

3. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

It does

4. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Damn, that's crazy....were they all at thrift prices? I think you might have made a mistake by leaving them. If they were cheap, it's not called "buying the whole store"; it's called "short term investment". If you knew of a stock that would return 10x the initial investment within a month, would you hesitate to drop a couple hundred on it? PS: I'm just super jealous of the finds, I have never seen a single one of those jeans thrifting ever, so it's hard to hear someone walk away a store full of them.

5. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

good question, that rack had Burberry blue label stuff on it. i will check next chance i get.

they were priced well enough to get 100% profit before fees and postage. so, jeans= around $70 - sell $150 minus charges. which means for the initial outlay, it is not cost effective to get started. as it requires too much capital. and if i have the capital? well, i might in future. just happy to kop the odd item here and there. too much time, too little flip moneys. but, the best streetwear thrifting in the world. which might explain to some why it infiltrates my CM wardrobe.
    if i knew of a stock that was a 10x return, i would tell you after kopping it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Careful with this. Canter's method usually starts bitter arguments among CI lovers. My own take is that in most applications flaxseed oil will end up leaving a beautiful, hard surface that will not take much abuse. I suppose it would work for a muffin pan or the like, but it ends up flaking for skillets once you start using a spatula in there. Whatever you use, the most important thing is to season with thin coats--kind of like painting a car.

8. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Yep.

9. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

2 people like this.
  10. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Frenchy is a legend who was before my time too... I did hear legendary stories retold of him riding bikes and kicking carts. He has the GTA area on lockdown; I did follow his blog for a bit and was amazed at his finds, especially the furnature.

$70 a pair is fairly steep; I'd probably just take the cream of the crop as well.

11. TJGent87

TJGent87 Senior member

Some recent finds.
    Brooks Brothers 42R
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jcrew 42R
    [​IMG]
    Astor and Black N/A
    [​IMG]
    A few shirts not sure about the last one, maybe someone can tell me if it looks real.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

C&J for BB Peals in 10.5D

Available. (Sans shoe trees)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't tried flaxseed oil yet (been a veg oil man myself), but will do so on my next cast iron item. Just wanted to pass the article along since it is getting a lot of positive buzz. Your last point, however, is spot on; a nice patina takes many thin coats. You can't cut corners on this one.

14. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Re: Foo Fighters talk- Best show I ever thrifted for a crisp Jackson…
    [​IMG]
    Small venue secret show. 30 song list.

So stoked to find these for my buddy, he's got an extensive bar at home, and has been looking for specialty glasses for various drinks. Already has silver julep cups, copper mule mugs, and now has these.
    [​IMG]

Ralph, are you ok?
    [​IMG]

Saw this and got all [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Felt like a dream. Looked like (as Randomore said) 90's era Kenneth Cole. Y U no rounded toe.

On the plus side, I found these (tentatively N/A)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Antonio Maurizi… And words I can't read.

[​IMG]
    Exxxtra thick soles, reverse welt, really nice build. Looking them up in store, I found this http://www.gilt.com/brand/antonio-maurizi/product/1001111522-antonio-maurizi-wingtip-dress, which lead to [​IMG] and koppage. Bummer is they actually fit me, and fill a gap in my collection (need black dress shoes badly, and I love a good wingtip) but they're just a bit snug/narrow for me at size 45, I'm typically a 46. These run a bit big. Hoping that place provides me with good monies.

3 people like this.
  15. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't say that those are bad...the toe is a little squared, but it is hardly comparable to the Kenneth Cole box toe designs...well within what is acceptable

2 people like this.
  16. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

for guys who sell $2 ties for $50? yes. but against retail for the brands? 40% of cost is win every time. i started thrifting to get the clothes i want at a price i can afford.
    but if somebody said to me "hey, i got this (insert name here) suit in your size, and want to trade for jap Denims" we could do a deal where you might thrift a suit for $20 ? , the jeans might cost me $50-$70. we trade, and 1 guy gets grail denims for $20 plus postage. and i get a suit for $70 plus postage. - and a quality suit for $100 is winning. as is jap denims for less than $80.

Flat heads,etc for you = canali's,etc for me. sounds good right? [​IMG] might start this endeavour next month if anyone is interested.
    * well known members with trade reps only.

1 person likes this.
  17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I would happily trade a suit for a grail pair of jeans... Just sayin'.

18. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Without meaning to offend anyone anywhere, the only thing worse than corduroy pants is corduroy pants with an orphaned tux jacket and kiltie loafers.

5 people like this.
  19. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Fueco: for you, anytime. keep me posted on what you find , i will do the same. [​IMG]
    i shop to order(size&brand if possible), and you can sell on what i dont dig.- 'coz you were gonna anyway. am i right?
    always offering a sweet deal or tip offs for my thrift bros.

edit: i don't hate flipping, it just wouldn't work for me.
    [​IMG]

FaceofBoh: keep a watch on your mailbox
    Brianpore: did you get it yet??

20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I like cords a tshirt sometimes... The mood has to be right. But for anything non-casual? No...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.