• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Shiny

Reaction score
Also, I came close to buying this old suit. I guess a lot of Pac NW businessmen travel to Hong Kong, so I find stuff from HK tailors in the thrifts all the time. This 1970s suit has a crazy high waist, but I actually kind of liked the look - I just couldn't pull the trigger. Thoughts? Would any of you rock it?

Fit looks great, but you'd have to worry about worsted wool syndrome. That is, in those days, 90% off all mens suit came in this rough worsted wool (particle board fabric?) that doesn't age well. And, doesn't look too great up close. Hell, you could get a stafford suit with better fabric today.

Anyway, on to my finds:

NWOB BB penny loafers. I don’t think these are Alden for BB because they don’t have that dovetail heel, but I’m prepared to be overruled :nodding:

E zegna traveller micronsphere SC. Color is more of a darker beige. This is super sweet. 2btn, split vents, great lining. Has a stain above one of the pockets, which you can see by my car door shadow. Sorry about the back of the car pix, but I took it immediately to the drycleaners to see if he could remove it. #fingersxrossed

Zanella unicorns. Midweight wool, but not really fall/winter wool, if that makes any sense.

R Talbott BOC, aforementioned Chipp2 Santa pooping tie and NWT YSL. I don’t usually pick up YSL, but this shade reminded me of the tie that Marcello Mastroani wore in the movie Ready to Wear. And, I need some green springy ties right now.

Thought I’d trying running with this armband FM radio. My mp3 player has fm functionality but it never gets good reception.

Marshalls Pantherellas on clearance. Both of these are 70% cotton lisle. I’ve picked up the mostly wool pantherellas, but they don’t have the bright colors/patterns that the cotton ones come in. Top one is grey with pink heel/toe and the bottom one is black w/purple stripes.

AE Kearney penny loafers in color black. Looks like original soles/heels.

BB Makers GF suit, 40S. Navy, single vents. However, both sleeves have only 2 buttons :brick: . Looks like I’m going button hunting.

Santorelli FF trousers. 33x32ish. Color is a little lighter than navy.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great stuff, guys! All those bow ties - wow!

Paid way too much for this, but I couldn't resist...

Minty DB Overcoat from Chipp, union label dates it to 1949-62

Plus some other outerwear:

Grenfell Quilted Jacket (XL)

James Perse (L/XL?)

Been looking for a pub jacket since fall, found this J Crew Langham Jacket that will do nicely (N/A)

And a pretty recent BB made in Italy Charcoal Pinstripe Suit w/ FF Pants (43)

GM-H

Reaction score
That Chipp is DOPE! I had to pass on a dark blue Chipp birdseye suit from the 70s because the jacket had a small moth hole in the front. I acutally got so mad I had to leave the store. Even living 5 minutes out side of New Haven, I have only found 2 things by Chipp.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw that Chipp on the shelf and passed on it - not my size and it's the middle of summer in Los Angeles, where I've never needed an overcoat. Very cool piece, though.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I love a great flip find as much as the next man, days like today are why I thrift. Alden medallion cap toes, winter white BB flannels, and RLPL made in England sport coat (3/2 roll, side vent, ticket pocket), all my size. Photos to come.

Shiny

Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nell

Reaction score
Grabbed a shoe shine box full of brushes, PRL shirt, D&G shirt, NWT Robert Graham, another RG and a few other more mundane pieces this past week.

Of particular note:

Guessing 80's from the label. Far from perfect condition, but couldn't pass on the first W&G piece I came across.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing crazy today...

Did find a NWOT Metolius chalk bag (any other climbers out there?). Also two ties that seem nice (Pierre Balmain and Italo Feretti?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads