• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Watch yourself in mainy's territory....
peepwall[1].gif

odds are -2000 he is with Mainy

Literally took the words out of my mouth.

Edit: On second thought, I usually make fun of people for over-using "literally." So let's revise that to: "I was just about to type nearly EXACTLY the same thing. Too funny!"

Yeah, you guys are EXACTLY spot on.

I think Mainy is pretty happy with my visit. We ended up unexpectedly picking up two american sized SUV's full of spoils.

div25sec9

Reaction score

Man, where do you live? 

Thrifting in Canada sucks sometimes!

Which part of Canada are you from?

Thrifting in Canada is a different situation. You can't go out expecting to get hauls like dm7, spoo, mainy, or the other big timers in this thread have; it's never going to happen here (except maybe in Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver). If you go out with realistic expectations based on the availability of luxury brands new to your area and put in the time searching, quality stuff will turn up.

sn0wman

Reaction score
Glad it works for you! Sorry that it was the best part of your week! :(

Looking forward to seeing a photo of it in action.

Its been one of those weeks......
baldy[1].gif
BUT I had an awesome tie trade with sn0wman
fistbump.gif

LL

brianG

Reaction score
I think I made a mistake by leaving a cotton APC popover at the thrift. It was only $3.99 and m.o.p. buttons in size L, but appeared to be a womens. At least I hope it was because it seemed pretty small. I know nothing about SWD and didn't want it sitting in a closet with the rest of my mistaken purchases. What say you?
APC is an always must for me, regardless of size or style or gender. They sell very well.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone post a pic of one of these shirts with the studs displayed. I've never seen one.
I forgot to mention that Kent Wang actually has a OTR 3 stud shirt.
http://www.kentwang.com/shirts/tuxedo-shirt.html#

But for the most part, bespoke is needed for 3 stud these days.

Kent Wang's page reads the following:

"A proper tuxedo shirt should only have three stud holes. While a stud set will have four studs, the fourth stud is a spare. Shirts with four stud holes perhaps were made without awareness of this convention."

hope that was helpful for ya...

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, a month, about 5,000 pics, and almost 20 lbs. later, I've returned from my vaca and found almost 1,700 posts full of goodies! Wow! Over there where I went, didn't have thrift stores besides second hand furniture stores = no thrifting but I did pick up 9 Uniqlo shirts and a bad ass Italian suede loafers with Vibram rubber tire soles for less than $100. Pics to come later after jet lag gets better. I did get $1,500 spending cash for just being me. So, that's a brag?

Also, your run of the mill, SF approved brands are so much more expensive over seas. Example, over here, LVC selvedge denim could be had for $50 on sale. Over there, they go for $400 with no chance of going on sale.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I made a mistake by leaving a cotton APC popover at the thrift. It was only $3.99 and m.o.p. buttons in size L, but appeared to be a womens. At least I hope it was because it seemed pretty small. I know nothing about SWD and didn't want it sitting in a closet with the rest of my mistaken purchases. What say you?
Owch - big mistake, especially at that price.
Yeah, you guys are EXACTLY spot on. I think Mainy is pretty happy with my visit. We ended up unexpectedly picking up two american sized SUV's full of spoils.
:lurk:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I've also started to stack my jeans. So much better on some. That's it. Nothing further to report unless someone is interested in seeing the reason why I've gained about 20 lbs. in a month.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, some nice **** up there fellas, good work! Nothing for me today except two nut rags.

Although, these came in the mail yesterday, courtesy of the Capt' which I'm pretty ******* excited about.

Some real nice patina on these sumbitches.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh yeah, I've also started to stack my jeans. So much better on some. That's it. Nothing further to report unless someone is interested in seeing the reason why I've gained about 20 lbs. in a month.

Welcome back!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome back!

Thanks bro!

Oh, before I forget, GmMCL, hang in there, buddy! We are all rooting for you!

I vaguely remember seeing DM7's posts about buying a bookstore? What's that about? Also, 2 Zilli in one post???!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bounce2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics