• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bought an amazing and bulletproof tweed jacket from J. Press yesterday. MTM, dated 1953. Haven't shot any pics yet, but I'll try to share them here.

Put them in the vintage thread!

As for the tie: Do you mean the "handmade in england" tag? I think that is on the Thomas Pink tie, though. Or is it something about the Channel tag that says "Drakes" to you?

As for the haul, Holy hell! Congrats. PM incoming....

Yep, the Drakes. Chanel is by Chanel.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
WOW! Every time I make back to the thread, there's like 1000+ posted, lol.
smile.gif

I went out yesterday and visited two stores and came up with:

2 FRAY for Neiman Marcus white dress shirts.

1 Holland & Sherry BESPOKE dress shirt (Savile Row kind, not made in USA kind).

1 pair of BB critter shorts - blue embroidered lobsters on red.

1 vintage BB mustard yellow lambswool sweater.

1 KILLER Caruso brown wool blazer (I'm going to switch the buttons to white MOP).

2 pairs of Zanella (Duncan & Bennet) in navy blue & chocolate brown respectively.

1 pair of MADE IN SCOTLAND Hunter mid-calf galoshes in green. < The MADE IN SCOTLAND ones are pretty hard to find...

... AND a bunch of vintage stuff for my Etsy shop.

PS - I have house guests ATM, so no pic's unfortunately. However, I'll put some up when I do manage to get them done, lol.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Always.

Beautiful. Looking to add a 1911. Let me know how it does. I have heard Kimbers can be picky and they have that weird "key" thing. Great craftsmanship and gorgeous. I want one so badly.
People think 1911's are picky because they have a break in period of about 500 or so rounds. Run those through it, don't clean it, and after that they'll eat just about anything. I wouldn't run Russian reloads through it but I haven't had any bad feeds after the breakin.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the *standard* shoulder measurement for a 40 chest? I have been lifting weights and am about a 19 shoulder as opposed to an 18 now and I am wondering if that bumps me up closer to a 42L to get a proper shoulder width
Also my family crisis is better and I should be able to ship and get back out in the field tomorrow

Last edited:

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped into Value Village today and used my last 30% off coupon.

This one is available at cost + shipping for the smaller guys (36ish) who are regulars here. Cesar? Brianpore? Anyone else I've forgotten? PM for measurements.
Midnight blue velvet sports blazer. It's vintage by a label called Shipley. Beautiful buttons and the velvet is in remarkable condition considering it's age.

EZ black pinstripe suit.

Boss summer sports coat.

Vintage Polo University Club tradly blazer.

Western / rockabilly shirt with sweet design.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 12 year old is getting addicted, after the Chanel and Thomas Pink ties yesterday he wanted to go again. So we drove down to a different store, not the greatest selection but found two nice ties in great condition:

Brionis:

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Home for the weekend, so all I have are cell phone pics. I never thought Ohio of all places would get some jacked up prices like some of you guys get. A Columbus thrift store has about 20 Talbot ties for $12-15 each. I was lucky to snag this one for $10. Rarely would I call something NWOT but I think this one might be. Available.

Some minty fresh horsebit loafters. My size, but I don't know if I can pull these off at 21.

Clown shoes.

Strands in a 13 AAA

Does this mean they were resoled and reheeled?

J.Crew. madras for me

Also, since I'm home for the weekend I was looking for my dad's shoe shine kit. Found this sitting on top of a rack of gaudy Garcia ties. He had no idea where it came from.

How old would this have to be to have a $75 price tag on it? I told him I wanted it and he called me a hoarder and demanded I sell it for him.

Last edited:

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Home for the weekend, so all I have are cell phone pics. I never thought Ohio of all places would get some jacked up prices like some of you guys get. A Columbus thrift store has about 20 Talbot ties for $12-15 each. I was lucky to snag this one for $10. Rarely would I call something NWOT but I think this one might be. Available.

Some minty fresh horsebit loafters. My size, but I don't know if I can pull these off at 21.

Clown shoes.

Strands in a 13 AAA

Does this mean they were resoled and reheeled?

J.Crew. madras for me

Also, since I'm home for the weekend I was looking for my dad's shoe shine kit. Found this sitting on top of a rack of gaudy Garcia ties. He had no idea where it came from.

My wife glanced over when I started laughing out loud at this comment.

sn0wman

Reaction score
Very nice! I really like the subdued one. Sometimes Brioni can be a little on the "wild" side. :)

My 12 year old is getting addicted, after the Chanel and Thomas Pink ties yesterday he wanted to go again. So we drove down to a different store, not the greatest selection but found two nice ties in great condition:

Brionis:

mjd

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I will, I really dont even know where to start with this. Im so overwhelmed, and that does not happen often. Its epic. Not so much brands- theres plenty of BBGF, Isaia, Paul Stuart, Southwick etc. but the unique tweeds, 40's and 50's bespoke stuff, Brooks Brothers custom from '53 (!!) 1941 tux jacket... I mean, Im floored. I will get pics eventually.

Mrs. Spoo tipped me off to the haul, I would have missed it totally, shes defo a keeper :)

Any change there are some 34s or 34r in that epic batch of suits?

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some epic awesomeness from you guys the last few days. Tons of good finds and great fits, too many to quote.

The usual flotsam and jetsam for me, but I thought these were a little extra special:

VTG Armani Tortoise Shell Eye Glasses

Lock & Co. Panama Hat (N/A)

Chester Barrie Overcoat (40r)

Gloverall Duffel Coat (UK 46/ US 36)

Bad-ass Brooks Brothers Completely Unstructured Madras

highlifeman

Reaction score
Haven't posted in a couple of weeks, been crazy busy.....here are a few pickups from the last week or so....

Austin Reed Made in England Dual Vent, tag 38 R

s/s- 18.5" sleeve- 23" + appx 2"
p/p-21.5" BOC- 29.5"

BB Fitzgerald Navy SC, from 2011, N/A

Murray's Toggery Nantucket Reds, FF, N/A

Ties-

Top Row- Ferragamo, Vineyard Vines, Tyrwhitt, Canali x 2, Alfred Dunhill London, Zegna

Bottom - NWT Hermes, wrinkled Charvet, BB silk knit, PRL, BB repp, NWT BB fleece (kids), Pendleton wool knit

Top row- Paul Smith, Robert Talbott Carmel, Canali x 2

Bottom- Faberge x 3, Charvet, TM Lewin

Top- RLPL, RL Script Golf Collection Made in Italy (both larges)

Hilditch and Key 15.5 Wool/Cotton, Pendleton Plaid Tartan (L)

RG skeets x 2

AE Shell Cordovan Leeds, my size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads