1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I got a small pile of "Nataku Approved" stuffs on our trip home this weekend for my retirement party. Pics probably not tonight, but maybe.

1 person likes this.
  2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Sounds like we need pics...

1 person likes this.
  3. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

No problem. You may find one silhouette works better for you than another -- I myself like soft, extended shoulders with drapey chests and nipped waists more than narrow strong shoulders and close chests. J. Press used to cut a relatively narrow shoulder, to my knowledge -- and then their newer stuff has weirdly large shoulders.

The blue jacket here is a bit wider than the shoulders (I think), and it certainly has less shoulder padding with a looser chest. The waist is maybe a hair tighter. It's also a nicer jacket, so it drapes better. Sorry for the summer pictures, but I only have the one shot of the gray coat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uhh, to return a little to the topic, I had a dream about thrifting last night: tan pebble grain Alden PTBs, size 11. If that's a wish-fulfillment dream, then it's a lame one, since I take an 8.5.

4. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

no one of any consequence it was ska night and it got mad juvenile so I left early but my friends band killed it and they want to book him for like 4 more shows

2 people like this.
  5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I like that gray coat a lot actually!

1 person likes this.
  6. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

I'm thinking about getting it for my dad :D

7. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

Picked up this Eli Tahari unstructured linen and viscose jacket at discount. Its a little large and was wondering if anybody had any ideas of shrinkage possibilities in washing it. I look forward to any and all advice and or George Castanza jokes.

[​IMG]

8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

9. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

I know there's a thrift fit page but this is some bragging also. All thrift except shoes and shirt

Isaia Suit from this week - $10
    RLPL Tie - $3
    Hand rolled vintage pocket square - free in a suit pocket
    Brooks Brothers Slim Shirt - ebay $10
    Brooks Brothers Belt - $3
    Florsheim Imperial wing tips - Trade with an SF member
    Vintage Sterling Silver Cufflinks - $5

total cost - $31

btw, thinking the pants need to go down about an inch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    10 people like this.
  10. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Luv that pattern on The socks

11. Connorh

Connorh Active Member

Anyone know where Paul Smith shirts are made? Think I might have picked up a fake today on accident (says made in Romania). Quality is decent otherwise.

12. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

@green_machine . Nice! That suit is awesome. I agree on the pants cuffs though, they are a bit high IMO. Watch is a Tag?

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Stuffs!

Found this HF suit that I'm dating between '62 and '76, lots of handwork including button holes and collar attachment. Totally baller, and just a tad to big in the shoulder and chest to work on me:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Kiton self-tipped 7-fold
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Johnston & Murphy US-Made Aristocrafts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Johnston & Murphy Italian Kiltie Slippers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Polo/Corn thick wool sport coat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filson Safari Shirt
    [​IMG]

Also, a couple of Zegna/Jos A Bank Flat Front 2 btn suits
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You've been doing great lately!

1 person likes this.
  15. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

I always thought my activity in this thread would be strictly PMing people to try and buy their finds, but I actually decided to browse the racks today after donating a few bags of clothes.

Nothing too nice compared to what so frequently shows up here, but it lifted my spirits quite a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    can't believe the label picture is the blurry one... :happy:

Anyways, it's a main line Zegna cotton coat, size 56 fits TTS so it's right between an XL and an XXL... Really clean, in great condition. In fact, it looks entirely unworn. Probably available if someone wants it, too, although it's a close enough fit that I could probably have a tailor just take a very small bit out of it and it'd work for me. :slayer:

4 people like this.
  16. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

yeah. Quartz though. Picked up on eBay

1 person likes this.
  17. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Cheaney Edward Green? (Am I reading this right they are on the 89 last?) for Alan Macafee shortwings - 11.5UK. Less red than the photos make them out to be.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

Mostly outerwear stuff this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Woolrich vest w/ suede yoke (it even has pheasants pressed into the yoke[​IMG]) Medium. On the fence about making it available...
    Made in the USA but I couldn't figure out how old it is. Is there a thread for dating pieces??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Woolrich waterproof (almost looks waxed but it's not) barn jacket, size Large but measures more like an XL. Made in the USA. Available.
    Looks super similar to the Barbour Beaufort.

[​IMG]
    Eddie Bauer doesn't win many awards but I thought this was a pretty cool quilted piece. Small. Available.

[​IMG]
    Bad picture but Orvis, plum colored 1/4 zip with suede accents. Almost positively keeping.

[​IMG]
    Women's Mountain Hardware fleece, size 10. Available

[​IMG]
    Patagonia 1/2 zip (roommate already snagged it)

[​IMG]
    Giorgio Armani Silk blend shirt. size 17. Not sure it it's fake, but the content tags said something like 58% silk/48% cotton [​IMG]
    I thought that was amusing but I can always return.

[​IMG]
    Wasn't going to share this but Spoo didn't you just post this same tie or was yours a belt? and Barrel?? Thynergy

1 person likes this.
  19. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

So, I found a PRL Corneliani linen 3 piece at Marshalls, and a vintage 3 piece corduroy at the GW.

But that's not what I'm posting about.

I had a pretty destructive weekend clothing wise. Friday I tore that Isaia (mended Friday night -- not quite the same, but manageable until I decide to drop the cash and get it rewoven). Then today, I wore my snuff Lodger chuckas for the first time (THANKS LUXESWAP AWESOME SALE!!) and got a grease drop RIGHT on the toe.

I mention this because, in desperately searching for a silver bullet answer, I came across this thread:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/225423/how-to-clean-oil-from-suede-shoes-opinions-needed/0_100

Allegedly this baby powder/corn starch/talcum powder method works on tie grease spots too. I think some scientific effort is called for. Stay tuned....

2 people like this.
  20. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Dont forget the lost Kiton!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.