1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

2 Bob Dylan LPs today: New Morning and Planet Waves.

The best part was an ensuing 45-miunute conversation with a guy who is part of the Atlanta Audiophiles association covering everything from '60s recording techniques, jazz, living abroad, Georgia Tech and Atlanta airports.

4 people like this.
  2. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Small in the shoulders: shoulders look and feel like hell.
    Slightly small in the shoulders: pulling across the upper back.
    Small in the chest: Lapels jut out.
    Small in the waist: pulling at the button.

On most people, if a jacket is too tight in the chest, it's also too tight in the waist, so the symptoms of each end up mixed together.

The feeling you're describing could be, to my way of thinking, a symptom of tightness in either the shoulders or in the chest, depending on where you feel constrained by the jacket. I'm of the opinion that fit in the chest and shoulders has a relatively wide range that works on any given person -- one can wear clothes that have a bit of drape and shoulder extension (at it's worst, the '40s or '80s, at it's best, Rubinacci or A&S), or one can wear a very slim silhouette (worst case: J. Crew, best case: RLBL/Huntsman). If it looks right (for those without much practice, this can be tough to determine), and it feels right, then it is right enough.

2 people like this.
  3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I'll trade ya! Here's a shot from the back door. Looks nice and warm (well, to me anyway), but nope. 30 mph wind gusts make the 17 degree air temp feel well below 0. You can kind of see the snow blowing in the picture. Was a lot worse earlier this morning when it was snowing.

[​IMG]

Wow! So... what are your plans? Keep or sell? Like clothing, I've sold some records that I kick myself for doing so now.

That is awesome. Man, I'd love to pick that guy's brain.

4. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

When I looked at the fabric tags (before really looking over the item) I thought it was Corneliani (the only other Polo Italian made suits and jackets are Corn.). After looking at the jackets and noticing how different they were then any Corneliani jacket I had ever seen my thought's went to Caruso.

5. OliT

OliT Senior member

Well, it's a lot of money. In one way, since I don't really listen to it, it would be good to get some cash that can be invested in better stuff. Still, it's nice to have something so exceedingly rare, and it could definitely increase more in value (as it has so far, looking by auction results a few years back). I'm going to have to give it some more thought, I think.

6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Yes, sir but with good reason...I forced encouraged the wifey to stay up with me to watch this Korean movie called Dirty Carnival. I've been on a Korean gangster film kick...Bro, if you have time, watch The Chaser and I Saw The Devil!!! Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Jebuzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, depends. But I would say tight in the back usually means it's small in the chest. I don't really have the technical know how to dissect. Your best bet is here.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions

Despos and Jefferyd are amazing at what they do.

I don't think Caruso made for PRL. They only made for RLBL, and some where, I think I've seen RLPL that was made by them...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  7. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

^^ that kind of knowledge is why I asked the question in this thread. Thanks again.

8. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

80s style and warm

2 people like this.
  9. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

My girlfriend loves Korean dramas. Being Korean, I once turned on a Korean drama on Netflix for us to watch. My girlfriend said "aren't you gonna put it on?" or me constantly for the first couple minutes and I was so confused about what she was talking about. Apparently I forgot to put on subtitles for her and I just didn't notice.

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Found a few interesting things, but left empty handed.

Found a cool maroon austin reed blazer with gold buttons. No sizing info but guessing it was a 44ish. Would have picked it up in my size, but...
    Found a 42 HF jacket that still had all the pockets basted shut and everything looked unworn, the buttons looked like it belonged to a suit and I couldn't find the pants. I didn't remember how to tell from the tag if they had pants, I don't know if HF labels it that way or if the model name decries whether it's a suit or SC.
    Also left two pleated zanella khakis. Because pleated khakis.

Thought I found a 14.5 collar bb slim fit shirt for one of the smaller guys on here, but it had a small stain.

It happens some days. I'm being way more picky now, so it's all good.

Thanks for that awesome detailed answer.

The issue I'm finding is that on a jacket that fits and looks fine without the pulling issues, etc. I feel hulky if I have both my arms at shoulder level especially if I reach forward. I'm not a big guy, but I lift a bit and I think that happens because my lats flex when that happens. There's one jacket, a 38R j press, that is definitely small now, as it Braces at the buttons. The shoulders feel fine until I move my arms forward when I feel hulky.

I also have a 40R j press jacket that feels much better but also has a similar issue when I move both my arms like that albeit it's not as bad. I think I'll probably have to settle for 40Rs and have the waist nipped.

Thanks again.

11. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

^^^ Stop lifting BRO!

12. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Or eat more
    Get bigger belly

13. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

I

In all seriousness. I have your same problem. I have broad shoulders with a slim torso and have to do 40R and tailor even though a 38 fits everywhere but shoulders. Being in shape is tough in the CM world lol.

You will figure out eventually what cuts fit you best. Not all makers will work for you, it took me a while to accept that.

14. ridethecliche

I'm not even that big though!

I'm 5'10 and like 155-160 lbs. I have a skinny waist though (wear 30-32 waist pants). It shouldn't be that hard to get me a decent fitting jacket but it is. What's hilarious is that I'm probably going to 'outgrow' all these clothes at some point at this rate. I had two tweed jackets tailored recently and they met the same fate. Though, for one of those, the tailor said it was partially the armholes that were small that was going to be the issue. Oh well!

Honestly, I used to be much bigger. I can't really lift heavy or do fun stuff in the gym (squats/deads) anymore because I've had back surgery twice. So it's probably for the better haha.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

A whole bunch of moneymakers this weekend, up to and including these suckers, 5th ever lifetime ;
    [​IMG]

and some keepers for me, this awesome silk handrolled scarf, will kill this at Pitti next year lol
    [​IMG]

awesome book about Chinoiserie
    [​IMG]

J crew silk belt
    [​IMG]

new (to me) PS
    [​IMG]

super stoked, oldest piece Ive ever found
    [​IMG]

went over to a TJ Maxx and saw this awesomeness
    [​IMG]

this was inside the car
    [​IMG]

this was inside the store (and still is)

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

What differentiates the Macneils from others AEs?

17. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

They're Shell

3 people like this.
  18. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

19. ridethecliche

Lol @sparrow , is this the new vibe you're going for?

20. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

than alls well! How can you tell, just out of curiosity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.