1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

2 Thomas Pink french cuff shirts
    1 Ermenegildo Zegna shirt (didnt notice at the store it had a chipped button and does not have extras on shirt)
    Polo RL Harris tweed sport coat
    J Crew linen longsleeve shirt
    Brooks Bros "The Original Polo Shirt"
    and a stack of good books

I passed of a pair of Allen Edmonds black tassel loafers in size 11 A. I forget the model Bestwich? some ending in wick or wich. I can go back and grab those if anyone is interested.

2. PoliticalGuy

PoliticalGuy Member

It was Oxxford day yesterday for me. Dropped by a new place and found 3 Oxxford suits next to each other on the rack. Funny thing is they were all different sizes. Luckily one fit me. I grabbed one of the others which is a 43R and left a DB in blue that seemed to be a 44 or so. There was also a great Norman Hilton in my size I that got me excited until I inspected further and found a couple of big tears. Anyone interested in the 43R suit? I'm happy to trade it.

3. 83glt

83glt Senior member

A funny thing happened today. Every Wednesday I work off site, and there are a couple thrifts in the neighborhood (GW, SA). The GW is hit and miss, and usually has nothing because this neighborhood is really depressed. I very rarely go to the SA anymore, maybe 3 times a year, because they never have anything. I happened to park near the SA today, and on my way back to the car at the end of the day I figured I'd check it out. On my way I thought to myself, how amazing it would be to find like 10 Kiton suits and sportcoats.... Well, guess what I found? Almost anyway, and better AFAIC...

Right at the head of the suit/sportcoat rack were about a dozen Cifonelli vintage suits and sportcoats. It was amazing. One right after the other. I've never seen their tailoring in person, and I can tell you it is among the best I've ever seen. The fabrics and styles varied wildly, with some very dated from the 70's, and others more modern and traditional. Everything belonged to the same gentleman, so I have to think he either passed or got rid of everything he owns. I left the dated styles/fabrics, and ended up taking home just the following:

1 glenplaid sportcoat
    1 brown velvet sportcoat
    1 two piece peak lapel 1 button tuxedo
    1 black flannel chalkstripe orphaned suit jacket

I was going to take more, but the rest was mostly orphaned pinstripe jackets. I almost didn't take the black flannel pinstripe because it was orphaned, but then I said the hell with it, on the off chance I find the matching pants elsewhere or later on at the same store. It's such a sick jacket I'd wear it with gray flannel trousers, I don't care. It's amazing. The tuxedo is also fantastic. It has a couple minor pulls on the grosgrain lapel, but the construction and quality make it totally wearable. My favorite is the glenplaid. It's perfect in every way, down to the smoked mother of pearl buttons. Not certain, but I bet some of this stuff was made under the watchful eye of Arturo.

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

The tuxedo is also fantastic. It has a couple minor pulls on the grosgrain lapel, but the construction and quality make it totally wearable.

Nice haul!

Here's a technique I've used with success to fix pulls in silk: Thread a fine needle with normal thread like you'd use to sew on a button. Don't wax it or anything--you want some friction. Using a magnifying glass if necessary, try to stick the point of the needle through the silk fabric at the exact point where one end of the pulled thread comes out. You're trying to get it through the same "hole" in the weave. Pull the needle and thread through to the other side of the fabric and all the way out. If you're lucky, the friction of the thread passing through the hole will take the pulled thread with it and pull it to the back of the fabric where it's unseen.

Hope this makes sense. It's worked for me on various silks, mainly on ties.

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Wow, nice haul! I'd love to see pics! I managed to grab a 100% Cashmere Canali jacket today. Also found a beautiful charcoal flannel (fawnskin) 3 button Oxxford suit. As usual, the trousers were separated, but as luck would have it I managed to find them.

My question is, does Canali make pure cashmere suits? The jacket I found is a gray with white pinstripes. I thought it was a orphan at first, until I saw it was 100% cashmere. AFAIK, only a few super high-end makers do 100% cashmere suits (Attolini, Kiton, etc), so I grabbed it on the off chance that my hunch was right and perhaps this was indeed just a jacket.

6. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

^^ Wow, nice haul! I'd love to see pics! I managed to grab a 100% Cashmere Canali jacket today. Also found a beautiful charcoal flannel (fawnskin) 3 button Oxxford suit. As usual, the trousers were separated, but as luck would have it I managed to find them.

My question is, does Canali make pure cashmere suits? The jacket I found is a gray with white pinstripes. I thought it was a orphan at first, until I saw it was 100% cashmere. AFAIK, only a few super high-end makers do 100% cashmere suits (Attolini, Kiton, etc), so I grabbed it on the off chance that my hunch was right and perhaps this was indeed just a jacket.

Was it more like a worsted fabric like you would see on a suit, or more like a fuzzy cashmere?
    I have a Kiton cashmere suit that is like super soft worsted wool.

Canali and Zileri both make SC's that are striped.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

That's what this feels like. Really soft wool. It's Loro Piana Cashmere, but doesn't have a model name specified.

8. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Also at Seattle I found this canvased Nordstrom Classics Jacket, in a 52/48% Glen Plaid silk and wool fabric by E.Thomas, 44R.

Wow, very nice and the Brioni shirt can be paired with it nicely.

Deep navy with a golden square.

1/2 off $8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. frenchy

frenchy Senior member

That's what this feels like. Really soft wool. It's Loro Piana Cashmere, but doesn't have a model name specified.

if its Loro Cashmere i think its a sport coat

10. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

A couple of pairs of BNWOT Purdey wool pants I picked up recently for the fall:

[​IMG]

I was only thinking last week that I've never thrifted any Drakes ties, then what turns up?

[​IMG]

Finally, this little vintage beauty - a bit rough around the edges, but too nice to leave behind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up a vintage Gorsart New York full-canvassed 'hand tailored' suit, but it was $100 and having tried it on at home it's a bit too short so it's probably going back.

11. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I rarely have luck at the thrift store, but today I found two nice Samuelsohn suits (one blue flannel chalkstripe three piece, the other a charcoal in pinstripe) and a beautiful Canali medium gray suit. Alas, they are all just small enough (42L) to mock my girth and as such will all end up on B&S forum in the near future.[​IMG]

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found a really nice Zegna 3 pc black/white houndstooth suit today. 44R. Sadlyit is non-vented.

13. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I also picked up a vintage Gorsart New York full-canvassed 'hand tailored' suit, but it was $100 and having tried it on at home it's a bit too short so it's probably going back.

Love the ducks

14. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Found a Southwick SC today, and also a thick cashmere PRL SC.

15. Returningson

Returningson Senior member

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I was only thinking last week that I've never thrifted any Drakes ties, then what turns up?

I will absolutely pay you for those if you are selling. Please PM me if you are.

17. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

John Comfort tie

Seattle was good to me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

of note, picked up:

Domenico Vacca thick 100% cashmere sweater $3
    Giorgio Armani Le Collezioni double-breasted lambskin coat fully lined with shearling $30
    Incotex grey wool herringbone trousers $8

passed on:

Oxxford orphan jacket $12 - couldn't find the pants
    Banana Republic wool topcoat (a fall 2009 model) for $24 - little too small
    Brioni shirt $8 - missing a button, loose thread
    Orvis cotton jacket with suede details $25 - really nice coat, but I already have 2 lightweight coats

19. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

20. le Dauphin

le Dauphin Well-Known Member

Picked up a few things today...

[​IMG]
    2 Yves Saint Laurent wool ties and 1 unmarked tie
    $1.50 each

[​IMG]
    Gorgio Brutini. I still don't know much about shoes (or therefore the quality of this brand), but I liked the look of these and the fact that they shouldn't need too much TLC.
    $5.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

London Fog overcoat with thick removable lining
    $20.00

[​IMG]
    Corduroy sport coat.
    $7.99
    Didn't get a full pic for some reason. What can be worn with this color cord jacket? khaki chinos seem like they would be too close to the same color. Jeans and an OCBD I guess?

-Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.