The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I went to a Salvation army yesterday when I was just walking down a street window shopping. I found the sweetest skinny tie, it was probably less then an inch thick, I've never seen anything like it before in a thriftstore. Unfortunately, I didn't have my wallet on me, becuase I didn't think I was going to buy anything.

2. summej2

summej2 Senior member

Came across a double-breasted, three-piece grey herringbone tweed suit from 1946, but the damn thing had holes. Otherwise, it was a sight to behold.

Same thing the other day: early 60's BB Golden Fleece 3-rolled-to-2, perfect fit...with holes.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Same thing the other day: early 60's BB Golden Fleece 3-rolled-to-2, perfect fit...with holes.

The one I found was a three-piece ... with holes.

4. Rampart

Rampart Senior member

There is also a nice fellow named Ken who posts regularly on Craigslist Toronto - my friends and I have purchased some nice suits from him. Armani's, Canali's, Corneliani's...Harry Rosen brands etc. Try searching on Craigslist for Canali or Zegna and his name and number will come up. He sells suits in his basement and gets them from Film Studio wardrobes...

I've checked out that goodwill near yorkdale a few times, and lately the selection has been fairly poor, never been to the st. claire/bathurst one. I find a couple of thrift shops in scarborough were half decent from time to time, but I suppose it all comes down to how often you check them out. Obviously the good stuff goes quick.

As for the guy selling the suits, how are the prices, and do they have a variety of sizes, also what about blazers?

ram

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I went to an estate sale and bought three extremely skinny '60s ties that were probably 2 inches thick. They were all by Ernst who was an engimatic social butterfly designer in San Francisco back in the days of Herb Caen.

They're like something you'd wear in an Eero Saarinen designed building, no Thom Browne allowed.

6. J-Dandy

J-Dandy Member

Finally got lucky...

[​IMG]

$4.75

7. jdmnbflo13

jdmnbflo13 Member

Found a lightly worn pair of Alden Algonquins at a local Salvation Army (they still had the inspected by paper under the depth inlay) for a mere $2.69, which included tax.

There were also 3 pairs of Zanella trousers on the rack for $1.75/pair. However, the previous owner had a bladder control problem, so I passed on them.

8. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

found these wool trousers today at the goodwill for $5.99 They are Hart schaffner & marx, had never heard of them but I could tell by the quality they were keepers, found them online the company has been around for a while, they are in excellent shape

9. DeSica

DeSica Senior member

hold up. r u saying kensington/goodwill has armani, canali, zegna suits? cause i aint' ever seen it. neither at winners.

in the states, on the other hand, century 21/filene's has tons of good stuff. living in toronto, i also ebay.

seed

I don't know about ultra high end stuff at Kensington, but you can easily score some nice Lacoste, Polo, and stuff like that, as well a some cool vintage pieces. I'm not a "thrifter" (yet), so my experience is very limited...my earlier post was just to give a heads up as to where to start looking.

When my cousin was visiting from Italy a year and a half ago, I took him around to different shops. He didn't have a suit for one of my other cousin's weddings. I was surprised when he told me that weddings in Italy are not very formal occasions, and that the ones he had been to lately were very casual. I don't know what to make of this, since whenever an Italian relative comes here for a wedding, they are dressed very well. My mother shops at Holt Renfrew alot (with an uncanny knack for scoring deals), and Winners, and she reccomended I take him there so he could buy an outfit.

5 minutes after entering the one at College Park, I spotted a $400 Armani sweater, navy blue, for something like $150. I also spotted some DKNY, Chaps, Nautica, Perry Ellis....stuff like that...nothing spectacular, but decent stuff for a good price. He ended up buying a $20 Calvin Klein t-shirt, claiming that a knockoff in Naples would have cost more. I ended up chatting with the lead singer from 54-40, so the trip wasn't a complete waste.

Goodwills in good areas makes sense...my mother lives around the corner from the one at Bathurst & St Clair...gonna have her check it out. Isn't there one up Yonge St?...around Summerhill or something...that one may have some finds.

10. blueorigami

blueorigami Well-Known Member

I more or less joined this Forum for this thread. Love it. That said: yesterday I scored a hole free (!) Pendleton jacket ($3) with patch pockets and great brass buttons. My girlfriends says it looks like something “an old man would wear” which I take to mean “timeless.” Can’t wait for next fall so I can actually wear it outside the apartment.

11. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I more or less joined this Forum for this thread. Love it. That said: yesterday I scored a hole free (!) Pendleton jacket ($3) with patch pockets and great brass buttons. My girlfriends says it looks like something "an old man would wear" which I take to mean "timeless." Can't wait for next fall so I can actually wear it outside the apartment.

Hope your girlfriend is still around next fall if that's the way you interpret all her comments [​IMG]

12. jonnyunpleasant

jonnyunpleasant Member

I was browing through the suits of a trendy vintage clothing shop and came across this Savile Row beauty. It fits almost perfectly, except that the shoulders are a little wide and the shoulder holes are a little tight. At $35, it was a bargain I couldn't pass up. After a little cleaning to remove all the cat hair on it, it ought to look pretty respectable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I was browing through the suits of a trendy vintage clothing shop and came across this Savile Row beauty. It fits almost perfectly, except that the shoulders are a little wide and the shoulder holes are a little tight. At $35, it was a bargain I couldn't pass up. After a little cleaning to remove all the cat hair on it, it ought to look pretty respectable.

You look like you got a little Pee Wee Herman going on there.

14. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    I more or less joined this Forum for this thread. Love it. That said: yesterday I scored a hole free (!) Pendleton jacket ($3) with patch pockets and great brass buttons. My girlfriends says it looks like something “an old man would wear” which I take to mean “timeless.” Can’t wait for next fall so I can actually wear it outside the apartment.

I found one years ago, (did not know what it was )but I loved the wool feel and the heavy plaid look, Its a great mixure of class and rugged. I found one small hole that I mended myself but by it having a black backdrop on the plaid gave it character. I wear it mostly with kackies and a dress shirts, its a little short on the wrist which allows the shirt the sleeve to present itself tastefully... now when I found some kenneth cole plaid and leather shoes with almost the same plaid pattern was a miracle...I will post pics of them both if you guys would like..

regards.

15. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I had a quieter day today - I didn't intend to do the usual thrift store loop after my Brioni bargain yesterday (see thread 'And the Groom wore Brioni'). I just popped into thrift stores that were near the areas I was intending to visit.

The first thing I found was a really nice Tommy Nutter of Savile Row suit (£20), but someone had butchered it by shortening the sleeves in a really bad way - a pity, because the body length was perfect. In the same store I found an XL Ralph Lauren cardigan (£15) in a really chunky knit with RL initials on the breast pocket and big brass polo player buttons - very cool and very trad, but too big for me. They also had a nice Dolce & Gabbanna cashmere jumper (£12) that fitted well and loked good, but I don't really need any more jumpers, as well as some assorted nondescript cashmere (about £10).

I went into a few more stores in the afternoon, and hit the jackpot in one. This was the store that had the unlabelled Savile Row quality SB tuxedo the other week. I really wish I'd tried it on now, as they had a beautiful dark charcoal with red stripe SB suit that fitted perfectly - 3 piece, with brace buttons on the trousers and three pockets on the waistcoat - all for £10. They also had a couple of rather retro St John suits - one in a nice green tweedy material with a black stripe - again, three piece, and £10 - I snapped it up as a bit of an impulse purchase (I suspect it looks a bit Mr Toad from 'Wind in the Willows', but for £10 I couldn't resist).

So, a good week with a lot of payoff from little effort. The second shop also had some nice shirts - H&K etc, but they were closing so I thought I'd better not push my luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.