1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Senior member

at first i thought this was just another run of the mill suede jacket
    then i realized it weighed like, 5 pounds

[​IMG]

and had a lambskin lining...
    [​IMG]

...and still had the tags in the pocket. 3 years old, can't find a flaw. thought this was worth a brag post

Now THAT'S a find!

Size?

2. mainy

mainy Senior member

I'm stunned...that's gorgeous.
    yeah I was pretty blown away. I have thrifted loads of incredibly awesome and occasionally very valuable things but this might be my nicest find ever - maybe not in terms of dollar value (though it could be close, not really sure)

Now THAT'S a find!

Size?

it's xl, which is way too big for me, but I shall probably ebay it to purchase the ToJ leather jacket I have been fantasizing about for a year

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I wish the flippers here would evaporate.... I havent seen a SC or suit worth picking up for over a year. Guess I will have to get more persistent again.
    That may be your answer. Beat the flippers to the goods. Remember, persistence pays off!
    at first i thought this was just another run of the mill suede jacket then i realized it weighed like, 5 pounds [​IMG] and had a lambskin lining... [​IMG] ...and still had the tags in the pocket. 3 years old, can't find a flaw. thought this was worth a brag post
    Geez! Wow - talk about amazing luck! That's a trophy find right there! Hit a few stores today - nothing really amazing, but could pass the stuff up at the prices. - 3 pairs of Bills Khakis Model 2 Flat Front trousers. Sun Drenched Twill in bright spring/summer colors. I was so excited with these and my wife broke my excitement when she said "Yeah, they're summery colors, but you never wear pants in the summer!". Ugh, oh well.... [​IMG] - 2 Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece suits. One solid charcoal and one a charcoal with red/silver stripes. Both are a 3 roll 2 and have flat front trousers. Single vented jackets. Both of these will be for sale on B/S shortly. [​IMG] [​IMG] - Two white shirts from two labels you just don't see in Minnesota; Issey Miyake and Yohji Yamamoto. I was quite pleased finding these two! [​IMG]

4. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

A nice two ply 100% cashmere RL Purple Label sweater in a light mocha $5

Jermyn St. French Cuff shirt $2(1/2 off $4).

BB 1818 Made in USA shirt $4

2 Billy Reid shirts $4, the $2 one has a beautiful weave and pattern.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

- 3 pairs of Bills Khakis Model 2 Flat Front trousers. Sun Drenched Twill in bright spring/summer colors. I was so excited with these and my wife broke my excitement when she said "Yeah, they're summery colors, but you never wear pants in the summer!". Ugh, oh well....

Cut 'em off for shorts?

6. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

at first i thought this was just another run of the mill suede jacket
    then i realized it weighed like, 5 pounds

[​IMG]

and had a lambskin lining...
    [​IMG]

...and still had the tags in the pocket. 3 years old, can't find a flaw. thought this was worth a brag post

Epic

7. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

And a rust-colored jacket made in Italy with a "V" label I do not recognize in a brushed suede-like material. Perfect for weekends to my cabin this fall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. otc

otc Senior member

Cut 'em off for shorts?

I see that he is selling them...but otherwise, those could make some nice shorts [​IMG]

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, I figure there is no use ruining nice pants for shorts for myself. They do make shorts in these colors, so I'll just keep an eye out (there will be a lot of clearance sales now that summer has gone) and pass these pants onto someone who'll use them. Better than just being a decoration in my closet. [​IMG]

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found another Issey Miyake white tuxedo shirt today, obviously from the same donor as the other two. $1.85. I was hoping I'd come across some jackets/suits from this guy, but no luck... [​IMG]

11. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

These are the two results of my first sojourn into Value Village thrifting. I do not own a camera or a scanner and I cannot, therefore, post any photos of my two finds but I managed to locate photos online of what these things more or less look like.

1.) The first thing was a pair of virtually MINT condition double-soled brown wingtips that are about 98% similar in colour, grain texture, design, etc., to the one in the picture below:

[​IMG]

The name stamped onto the heel said John Hampton--Made in England. I would estimate these shoes were made sometime in the very early 90s. The soles are in excellent condition and, from the looks of the soles, I don't think the original owner ever wore these shoes more than 10 times or so (probably even less). The insole had virtually no dark sweat stains and the quality of the grained leather on the uppers is FANTASTIC. The leather doesn't even so much as show signs of creasing when I walk in them. You sure don't see this quality of leather these days. The size indicated is 6EEE (UK) and they fit me well. I would guess the 6EEE would be equal approximately to 7.5E (US) or 8E (US).

Price = $19.95

2.) Second item was a wool-blend (60% wool) very thick, very heavy herringbone weave overcoat in a tan and grey mix with some donegal flecks as well WITH a tan fur collar!!

The image below is the closest I could find online even though my coat isn't black:

[​IMG]

It was a size 42 but I wear 44. The coat was definitely from the very early 1980s and is a double-breasted design. The shoulders are very narrow and the waist is cinched but I think I'll have one row of buttons removed and have the other row moved over a bit to convert it into a single-breasted. It's borderline snug on me right now.

I don't know if the fur collar is genuine fur but it sure feels like it. The sleeve lengths are near perfect but I will need the left sleeve shortened a bit (my left arm is shorter than my right). The label is Tip Top Tailors.

Price = $29.95

Price of drycleaning (if the collar is genuine fur): approximately $50. If not real fur, then price will be approximately $20.

12. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Came across what I finally decided was a fake Paul Smith shirt today, at least I hope it was a fake. The buttons were engraved, which did lend some authenticity. At any rate, I didn't get it.

13. was385

was385 Senior member

I had a decent but fairly frustrating trip today. Found about 15 high end shirts (RL, Hickey, Behar, Canali) from the same guy and they all fit but about 11 of them had embroidered initials on the sleeve. Came away with four anyways for like 20 bucks so not too bad.

14. BBC

BBC Senior member

Came across what I finally decided was a fake Paul Smith shirt today, at least I hope it was a fake. The buttons were engraved, which did lend some authenticity. At any rate, I didn't get it.

A fake shirt is better than what I came across today - a Paul Stuart suit. The jacket looked excellent, held up the pants and saw the huge urine stain. Delightful [​IMG] People, please, if you urinate in your clothes, please don't donate them to Goodwill.

15. The Captain

The Captain Member

Gentlemen!

Don't like to brag, but can't resist this one: a pair of black John Lobb oxfords (City II model) in my size for $16.50.

On the minus side, they could use top lifts and a shine...

The Captain

16. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ A find like that warrents photos! Sounds like a great score!

17. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

A fake shirt is better than what I came across today - a Paul Stuart suit. The jacket looked excellent, held up the pants and saw the huge urine stain. Delightful [​IMG] People, please, if you urinate in your clothes, please don't donate them to Goodwill.
    Perhaps it is not urine? At least if it is on the inner lining only. I bought a HF by accident that had the stain in it, before I learned to check the inner lining. I asked my dry cleaner if it would come out. She said most likely it was not urine but sweat stain. BTW, I still have not taken that suit to the cleaners, or worn it, as ball/crack sweat stain is still kinda gross!

18. BBC

BBC Senior member

Perhaps it is not urine? At least if it is on the inner lining only. I bought a HF by accident that had the stain in it, before I learned to check the inner lining. I asked my dry cleaner if it would come out. She said most likely it was not urine but sweat stain. BTW, I still have not taken that suit to the cleaners, or worn it, as ball/crack sweat stain is still kinda gross!

There was no mistake about what was on the outside of those suit pants I saw. I see enough nice stuff that's flawless that any kind of stain, wear, etc., just means I leave it behind.

19. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm stunned...that's gorgeous.

[​IMG]

- B

20. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

[​IMG]

- B

did you donate the jacket to vox?

Thread Status: