1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

yea i passed on the pocket square but it was decently nice. what RL label is super modern looking. hard to explain w/o a photo but the best way i can describe it is all upper case, modern looking type.

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

RLBL, uppercase light gray/white on a black label. (RLPL is script on a purple label.)
    Hence the names "Black Label" and "Purple Label".

Some is made in China / Taiwan...not all is made in Italy, so, check tags.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Yeah that's likely RLBL

4. thefastlife

exactly. yes, black label it was. lots of that with some sprinkles of PL in there.

5. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Save some for me, Prof.

6. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Not to offend, but are the ones with throat latches and elbow patches Stafford by any chance? There are 2 at Salvo that I thought harder about getting than any Stafford yet. Do you guys think they're worth it at, say, $7?

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

If they fit, you have been looking for some tweed blazers, have something to wear them with, no moth damage, not concerned as much with name brand as you are with filling a gap in your wardrobe...then yes for $7 each they are worth buying for yourself.

8. thefastlife

how can i browse through suits/jackets without checking each and every inside tag? i know that with experience i should be able to feel the quality but i havent gotten to that point yet. b/c of this trips take about an hour instead of 15-20mins

9. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

You've answered your own question. With experience you can scan fabric and buttons/button holes on the sleeves for quality. An intermediate solution is to check the lapel and gorge on the jacket; if dated, almost no reason to check the tag. With pants it becomes even easier because in addition to spotting fabrics you can easily see the inside of the waistbands.

A trip to a thrift is normally a leisurely stroll for me.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

Quote:Do you really have to ponder a $7.00 purchase this heavily? I can only imagine you in line at McDonalds with a lunch crowd. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Senior member

Quote:+1...I had a stafford harris tweed sport coat that fit perfectly, was in new condition, filled a gap in my wardrobe, looked great on me and cost about $7.. I used it for one fall/winter until I found something better to replace it with that served the same purpose. I then redonated the stafford. No regrets.

1 person likes this.
  12. woodchuck312

Quote:You can scan the suits by feel....cashmere and nicer wool will be very soft. If i'm flipping through and the suit feels like sandpaper I don't even look. Also sometimes it is easier to look at the neck tag, made in China, i'm passing. It says England or Italy and I start to get a bit excited. This is also a great way of sorting past Jos A Bank suits quickly as they are always labeled up at the neck.

2 people like this.
  13. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Senior member

This. I'll do that sometimes as a placeholder until I find something better. I think of it as like leasing a [insert item here] until I find a better one. So, if it meets all of the criteria that @ATLnoob said, then get it, but don't stop the hunt for a tweed blazer. Definitely not able to resell them though.

14. thefastlife

definitely do this as well as passing suits with huge floppy lapels. but sometimes when doing the feel test ill stop at a suit that i think feels nice and soft and its a calvin klein or a stafford. that said, i do know that hand sewn buttonholes and working cuffs = quality, but determining that takes longer than flipping the coat open. oh well, in time i suppose.

15. woodchuck312

Quote:Yeah Calvin Klein and Hilfiger always feel fairly nice. I never do an initial scan on sewn buttonholes and working cuffs. Doing that is a sure way of missing out on BB, HF, and other mid tier suits.

1 person likes this.
  16. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Haggar used to trip me up too. Some of the poly blends were like pyrite.

Any system other than a systematic lapel turn will have both false positives and false negatives. Its like anything else: it's a personal cost benefit analysis.

I'm sure my scanning method misses stuff, as so often proven by GM-H who on more than one occasion has come up to me from a rack I've just hit and been like: "Look, Kiton." Well, thankfully not that exactly. But close. And all too often I turn the lapel of Lauren Ralph Lauren, who mystefyingly seem to use decent fabric. But he finds it because he puts in the effort, and thus is rewarded. Me? I understand and have come to terms with the Devil's Bargain I've struck.

1 person likes this.
  17. woodchuck312

Couple things that piss me off lately.

GW in our area stopped doing colored tags and instead uses them for sizing classification. I used to be able to fly through GW's because I knew that all the new stuff would be green tag or whatever the color of the week was. That and my favorite GW over stuffs the pant and suit racks making it feel like i've just had an afternoon at the gym going through a couple of racks with sweat pouring off my forehead.

Some of our bigger thrifts are revolutionary in the way they do their pants by hanging them at an angle with the waists pointed outward, makes it so fast and easy to go through the pants section that way. This is both a positive and negative though as it also makes the big name brands easier to spot for novices.

18. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Izod has been tripping me up lately. I'll flip through and think, "this feels incredible" and then I flip the tag out and see Izod and then realize the suit is pretty ugly. Add it to the list of random things that trip me up.

1. Hunt Club pants - always think they're RLPL for a full second or two
    2. St. John's Bay wool flannel shirts - always think they're going to be something nicer than they are from just looking at the shoulder
    3. Metropolitan Museum of Art ties - 75% of the time, i think it's a Hermes
    4. Kirkland dress pants - the Made in Italy waist lining makes me think it's going to be something else

+ many more

4 people like this.
  19. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

20. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

MN Goodwills started sorting by size, which seems kind of nice as an idea, but it also makes the men's section seem way smaller because I've found myself looking really closely at my size and then just skimming the rest. You know that random people are putting things back in the wrong area and I'm going to miss some stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.