• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

a selvedge denim made in USA with what seems to be bible verse references
Annnnnnnd 3....2...1.....

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score

Very cool. Were those thrifted? The article says Brooks Brothers helped date the shirts. Were you surprised by the dates or did you already have an idea?

You should post them over in the vintage thread too.

^^^ The early 1900s detachable collar shirt and matching detachable collar were eBay pickups for a song. The 1920s - 1930s blue OCBD popover was a thrift find on my part. And the 1940s -1950s white OCBD was a purchase from a guy over at Talk Ivy who found a number of them in a barn in Upstate NY. I actually have a couple of these ones for sale in my Etsy shop. I got them totally white using the "Method" and a special laundry service. I've never come across white OCBDs in such great wearable condition. All the shirts that Derek used for the article were some of the best I've ever come across.

I wasn't too surprised by the dates the BB rep. came up with. I was pretty dead on re: the detachable collar shirt and the white OCBDs. However, I sold the blue OCBD popover as 1950s deadstock when I now believe it to be 1920s - 1930s (or even older) deadstock - I've seen vintage BB ads from the teens & twenties with more or less the same shirt offered. It was a fine shirt.

Please post in the vintage thread. Would love it if you were a regular contributor there.

^^^ When I get back from vacation I will try to post a few things over on the vintage thread. I have a ton of nice things (both from myself and from some of you guys for consignment) that would fit in well over there.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey! I woke up early today while on vacation in Koh Chang, Thailand and saw that an article about BB OCBDs dropped over at Put This On. Guess who provided the earliest 3 shirts (1900s, 1920s-1930s, 1940s-1950s) in the photographs? (It was me, lol!)

Thanks Put This On!

This was a fascinating read.

I would love to see a label progression for BB shirt and suit labels. Seems to be a question that comes up a lot, but has never been exhaustively explored (at least that I ever found).

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This as well as ties. I've come across several different much older labels - if we can organize a reference, I'd be happy to provide pics of the stuff in my collection.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Why can't these be a 34-36?!
ffffuuuu.gif

knowing 3sixteen, I am wearing a pair proudly bought at full retails, these 32s probably measure 34-35 right now

cool vid:

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Would kop those easter Air Max Nikes.

And lol @ some strange selvage brand with bible verses.

Garasaki

Reaction score
Found this Patrick James (research reveals P-J is a chain store of sorts, so unsure who actually made the shirt) shirt which feels amazing - soft and heavy. Fits nicely

And got back this very heavy cord blazer from the dry cleaners - very heavy solid construction, made in Poland, great for this "spring" weather. I'm sure winter will eventually leave. Unsure if Brad Whitney is a notable maker?

Walked away from 2 ten dollar Zenga shirts. They were ... ugly. Which figures - central USA thrift finds with desirable names seem pretty rare, so of course they have to be ugly too.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sooooo I went thrifting for the first time and actually bought a few things, nothing crazy 2 phineas cole shirts and a great y'apre shirt all available will post pics and sizes later.
Update: on the tom ford suit scammer wrongwroks and his other sf name m0bbie Rachapoll Phromyarat scammer, someone hacked his skype and spoke to him, he straight up admitted he did it and said thats what he does for a living, apparently he lives in Bangkok, he said he wont scam the same person twice and hes not going to return the money or the suit, (I wish the mods could verify with ip addresses) so heres a warning to you guys.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked this up as a present to myself for the massive spring closet cleaning that I just undertook. 1.1K off retail.

Also grabbed these for $30, also from the Rack. I know people rave about their shorts, but at $200 plus for a pair, they were always out of my price range. I didn't even know they made trousers, but I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed with these. Lightweight, slim, with rubberized buttons, perfect for the beach!

First stuff I've bought from a store brand new in awhile. Feels good. :nodding:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads