• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
I pass on the cleaner shine (a real problem down here in starch-happy Texas) but the ones with ring-around-the-collar have almost always cleaned up good as new with that vinegar and OxyClean process you guys talked about. I've found some really nice shirts since in this heat shirts get collar-stained long before they get any significant wear.

Ah yes... good point. Here are the instructions again for anyone who doesn't have them (think the original author was VMan?)

"How to Clean Shirts

Step 1: Soak shirt in a solution made from one gallon hot water (as hot as it will come out of the faucet) and one cup of vinegar. Let the shirt soak for 30 mins to 2 hours.

Step 2: Rinse shirts, and squeeze out excess water. Empty bucket and rinse. In a cup, prepare a concentrated Oxy-Clean solution. Make sure to use the Oxy-Clean granules that come in the tub. Make the solution about 10 parts HOT water to one part O-C. Usually this amounts to two scoops of O-C (using the provided scoop) per 4-6 ounces of water. You want this to be very concentrated.

Step 3: Apply the strong solution generously to the stained areas. Place the shirts in a bucket (so that the solution doesn't flow away, or dry) with the stained areas towards the bottom of the bucket so they stay nice and covered in the solution. Allow to soak overnight. It can also help to use an old toothbrush and scrub the stained areas every hour or so, if you've got the time.

Step 4: In the morning, remove the shirts from bucket. Fill the bucket with a gallon of hot water, and two scoops of the Oxy-Clean (basically, follow the recipe on the package for a general cleaning solution) and mix well. Place the shirts in the bucket, and soak for 2-24 hours. This just helps to remove any trace of stain. You might want to stir the shirts around with your hands after you put them in the bucket with the weaker solution just to remove some of the stronger solution that is still on the shirts.

Step 5: Remove, and wash/rinse in the regular cycle on your washing machine.

Note: I find that this normally removes sweat/dirt stains from the armpit, neck, and cuff with ease. For really strong stains, you might have to repeat the process a few times."

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind cheaply selling the ones I kept (I was thinking $8-$10 each) so as to finance more thrifting but I measured them and all we're pretty much at 4" width. Am I wasting my time?
You'll have a hard time moving 4" ties anywhere right now. Narrow is the trend. If they're extremely nice you might get some takers. Won't hurt to list them.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know anything about helly hansen? i found a really great-looking winter jacket ... orange with a blue corduroy collar and bright plaid interior. certainly not a sober barbour. nice material, seemed like nice construction and at $7, couldn't resist.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Ah yes... good point. Here are the instructions again for anyone who doesn't have them (think the original author was VMan?)

Indeed. I never pass up a nice shirt with a ring around the collar anymore. The Vman stain removal technique works like a charm 90% of the time.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
anyone know anything about helly hansen? i found a really great-looking winter jacket ... orange with a blue corduroy collar and bright plaid interior. certainly not a sober barbour. nice material, seemed like nice construction and at $7, couldn't resist.

I think the best way to describe them is as an entry-level outdoor-tech outfitter. Their retail price-points are pretty low (compared to labels like Arctyrex, Marmot and Patagonia), but the stuff is decent. I have some S/S summer shirts, shorts and a light-weight shell jacket by them. All are holding up very well. At $7, I think it's safe to say you got a decent deal if it's in nice shape.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Here's the Valentino sportcoat that eBay flipper dirtbag snagged out from under me that day at the St. Vincent DePaul thriftstore. Buy it now for $199? No wonder he took it.

I know most of us also sell things for a good (but reasonable) return but somehow I just don't picture any of us cleaning out a department and taking things from other people. It's amazing to look at his other items and realize the great things my route would yield if I could patrol it everyday as my full-time job.

censored.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290412246459

Sorry, no offense to my hard core eBay seller buddies: I just had to vent.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too cannot stand people who clear out anything of remote value. I mean c'mon. I run into these people all the time. Carts piled high with 20 pairs of shoes, 20 shirts, a bunch of suits/jackets. Then there are the guys like us who actually will wear the stuff combing the racks looking for something nice only to find nothing. Ugh.

Reselling is good to a point. Such as where someone would come across a bunch of Neapolitan shirts and suits for dirt cheap. He'd sell them on here to people who wouldn't have a chance at them otherwise. We're all happy. The bad resellers are the ones who buy up anything and everything "Made in Italy" or "Made in England" because "they are very expensive and they can resell them for a lot of money".

When I come across a bunch of nice stuff, I'll always leave something behind for the other guy who probably drove a long way to get there. Ya know, just to make his trip worthwhile - something nice to do to a fellow thrifter who shares the same passion as you. The eBay seller thing has gotten worse lately as more and more jobless people have the time and ambition (they now need money) to get up at 8:00 and be the first ones at the door. Maybe that's why my finds suck this year....

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I think the best way to describe them is as an entry-level outdoor-tech outfitter. Their retail price-points are pretty low (compared to labels like Arctyrex, Marmot and Patagonia), but the stuff is decent. I have some S/S summer shirts, shorts and a light-weight shell jacket by them. All are holding up very well. At $7, I think it's safe to say you got a decent deal if it's in nice shape.

I certainly wouldn't call HH entry level...they make some of the best foul weather gear out there and they were huge innovators in the outdoor clothing arena.

The jacket described doesn't sound like some of their heavy duty stuff (it's certainly not a survival suit) but I'd pick up good condition HH stuff for $7 without question

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's the Valentino sportcoat that eBay flipper dirtbag snagged out from under me that day at the St. Vincent DePaul thriftstore. Buy it now for $199? No wonder he took it.

I know most of us also sell things for a good (but reasonable) return but somehow I just don't picture any of us cleaning out a department and taking things from other people. It's amazing to look at his other items and realize the great things my route would yield if I could patrol it everyday as my full-time job.

censored.gif

I really doubt you'd enjoy it if it was your full time job. Just take solace in that you dont have to go thru that every day. Its fun when its on your terms but when you have to do it for a living, for-get-about-it.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I too cannot stand people who clear out anything of remote value. I mean c'mon. I run into these people all the time. Carts piled high with 20 pairs of shoes, 20 shirts, a bunch of suits/jackets. Then there are the guys like us who actually will wear the stuff combing the racks looking for something nice only to find nothing. Ugh.

Reselling is good to a point. Such as where someone would come across a bunch of Neapolitan shirts and suits for dirt cheap. He'd sell them on here to people who wouldn't have a chance at them otherwise. We're all happy. The bad resellers are the ones who buy up anything and everything "Made in Italy" or "Made in England" because "they are very expensive and they can resell them for a lot of money".

When I come across a bunch of nice stuff, I'll always leave something behind for the other guy who probably drove a long way to get there. Ya know, just to make his trip worthwhile - something nice to do to a fellow thrifter who shares the same passion as you. The eBay seller thing has gotten worse lately as more and more jobless people have the time and ambition (they now need money) to get up at 8:00 and be the first ones at the door. Maybe that's why my finds suck this year....

****... you mean if you found 10 charvet shirts in exactly your side for 4$ each you'd leave them? Iunno.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....If they were my size and they were all a color/pattern I'd wear, of course I'd buy them all. This is when I get really picky on condition too, though. Generally speaking, I leave one or two things behind (a color I'm not fond of, something that doesn't fit me right or has a small stain, etc). For me, one Charvet shirt nice shape would make a thrift trip worth the while.
biggrin.gif

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
I really doubt you'd enjoy it if it was your full time job. Just take solace in that you dont have to go thru that every day. Its fun when its on your terms but when you have to do it for a living, for-get-about-it.

I didn't think of that. You're right: even just one day of hitting a 1/2 dozen stores leaves me beaten me down. I'm usually just sleep-walking through the last 1-2 stores. Thanks.

Hmmm....If they were my size and they were all a color/pattern I'd wear, of course I'd buy them all. This is when I get really picky on condition too, though. Generally speaking, I leave one or two things behind (a color I'm not fond of, something that doesn't fit me right or has a small stain, etc). For me, one Charvet shirt nice shape would make a thrift trip worth the while.
biggrin.gif

I've never had a situation like that but I'd hope I'd do what you do and just take the ones I know I'd absolutely wear. I'll admit it would be tough. Let's hope I have that delimma someday
laugh.gif

I've been showing a group of the younger students from school how to thrift, what to look for, etc. and it's awesome to see them find something they love. These guys are flat broke and often are in desperate need of a suit. They'd be happy with a decent Stafford and its so awesome to help them find something like an Austin Reed or Hilfiger. We'd pass right over it but they get so excited. That's what it supposed to be about; somebody didn't need/want it so they donate it for a tax break; there's plenty of good stuff for those who don't have much and are happy for whatever decent thing they can find; and there is the occasional treasure for those of us who know what to look for and are willing to put some effort into it. The flippers just wreck that whole dynamic.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Navy Cashmere Double breasted Brioni overcoat - $68.

Needs a little work, shoulders fit perfect.

I rarely buy anything from consignment shops, but I was looking for a tux for my dad and stumbled upon it. Really couldnt pass it up.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

censored.gif

Sent him a couple of nasty messages via "Ask a Question" he of course claims "it wasn't me!" so I gave him a few details, just enough to keep him guessing. He now thinks that whoever wins his auction won't pay.
laugh.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Navy Cashmere Double breasted Brioni overcoat - $68.

Needs a little work, shoulders fit perfect.

I rarely buy anything from consignment shops, but I was looking for a tux for my dad and stumbled upon it. Really couldnt pass it up.

Buaaa
worship.gif
worship.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads