• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcmcklwht

Reaction score
Bought my first ties. No tags on the navy one, is there an easy way to determine what material it is?

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't done it in awhile, so a quick fit pic. I may have made some alternate choices this morning, but I was running late, so I just went with what I had.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't done it in awhile, so a quick fit pic. I may have made some alternate choices this morning, but I was running late, so I just went with what I had.

Shoulders look a bit wide to me.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wow the break on those trousers is perfect and I enjoy the slightly extended shoulders I actually prefer that as well it makes me look slightly less twiglike

shirtsnmor

Reaction score
Whoa, not one but two! Nice!
Wow! That thing is $$$$. Must be insanely rare. Anything with Pucci's name and a crazy pattern is money, but coupled with the name Zegna too?! Even with the hole, it's worth grabbing at thrift prices.
Those colors/that pattern.
drool.gif

One of the 250 pairs made for Barney's Co-Op's 25th anniversary. Holy rare denim find Batman! Do want!! Prepared to
fight[1].gif
for them!
MartiniGirl made a post about this a couple days ago. Not sure what the numbers mean but that is a Zegna Quindici tie. Super expensive and very desirable. Be prepared to bring on some $$ on the bay.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ermeneg...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0

It's a shame to see that she may have left us. She really knew her stuff and I would have never known about these ties had she not mentioned them.

Thanks for the information. I am so tempted to have it taken in and rock it myself. I might even skip the re-weaving and just wear the jacket inside-out since that silk Pucci pattern is so proper
smile.gif

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tightness in the chest is causing the lapels to bow out. See how the space between the lapels is almond shaped? Tightness at the fastening point is stressing the fabric there too. It's not simply a matter of stylistic preference; it just plain doesn't fit.

Indeed. Your eye is keener than mine. I don't think it's severe, but on reflection I do see the effect you're referencing and revise my previous comments that it is, indeed, a tad snugger than is ideal.

Los_Face: Sorry if this ended up being more than you bargained for. Looking back, your post seems to have been pics only, without requesting feedback. And I think the Hans Der Hund Rule of 2013 states that feedback (other than complements) shall be provided where specifically requested (e.g., "What do you guys think of the fit?"), to avoid deterring the fun/bragging spirit in which the thrift fit was originally intended.

And maybe this reopens the question whether there should be a separate thrift fit thread to comment on fits (a la the new Thrift Fit Formalwear thread). Then again, there are more than enough threads on SF proper that focus on honing fit and soliciting feedback, so not sure what the "thrift" aspect would add.

Greg613

Reaction score

Some friends have convinced me to start playing golf with them and my first thought was how can I look like the Capn? Golfing is very popular in Atlanta and there are always shoes, clubs, etc. that I never gave a second look. Now I need to do some research to find out what is quality and what is garbage.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Every time someone posts about golfing, it makes me want to grab my clubs and play a round or three (they have free replays as long as there's room) on the 9-hole course that my back window overlooks... One of these days: I actually haven't played a round of golf in five years.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a bit more roomy than I would like, especially in the arms. I'm guessing its early 90s? I really have no idea though. What did it end up going for? I think about flipping it sometimes but I like it too damn much.
north of $200, nearing $300 when I stopped watching. I wanted it badly but didn't have the funds at the time but I never see them.

MartiniGirl made a post about this a couple days ago. Not sure what the numbers mean but that is a Zegna Quindici tie. Super expensive and very desirable. Be prepared to bring on some $$ on the bay.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ermeneg...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0

It's a shame to see that she may have left us. She really knew her stuff and I would have never known about these ties had she not mentioned them.
As I referenced but it may have been overlooked the Quindici tie is one of Zegna's most exclusive. Quindici, which means 15, is for the 15 different dye colors used in the tie. The color boxes on the blade correspond to each individual color. Very very cool find, I sold a few in my time at Nordstrom.

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Digging the white pants, Hans! I do agree with Pnut on the shoulders, but I doubt anyone in the real world (including me) would ever notice.

Thrift fit from yesterday:

Only after putting everything did I realize that it was almost all Polo of some sort (thanks, Mr. Lipschitz!).

Jacket: Polo by Corneliani Flax/Wool (Ebay)
Shirt: Ralph Lauren Purple Label (Hidden Hannukah gift from Nell)
Tie: Polo Linen (thrift)
Pants: Ralph Lauren Purple Label (thrift)
Socks: Pantherella (STP)
Shoes: Church's (thrift)

Also finally found some cool stuff yesterday, pics later.

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

north of $200, nearing $300 when I stopped watching. I wanted it badly but didn't have the funds at the time but I never see them.

Daaaaaamn. I guess I'll try to take good care of it, considering it's also a rainy day source of funds. That is unless the RL vintage team suddenly starts lurking this thread :devil:.

I've never seen it either, I tried looking for them a few times but I've never had any luck.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday.
SC is PRL/Corneliani, tie is Zegna, belt is Trafalgar, socks are Pantherella, trou are HF (soon to be replaced by better cut current label Zegna I found yesterday and/or the LPs Dex sold me :slayer: ), shoes are Florsheim, shirt and sq are unremarkable and/or unknown. SC, square and belt from Spoo. Shoes from Easy. :slayer: Rest is me.
Today's fit would not be approved, and in any event, I didn't have time for shots.

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some friends have convinced me to start playing golf with them and my first thought was how can I look like the Capn? Golfing is very popular in Atlanta and there are always shoes, clubs, etc. that I never gave a second look. Now I need to do some research to find out what is quality and what is garbage.

If you want to organize an Atlanta thrift thread putt-putt extravaganza, I'm in.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why would you want to look like that? you're playing golf, not cosplaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads