• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clunky, weird looking models of Loakes and Grensons?

Pass.

Whoa, what? I would have snagged the pair on the right in a heartbeat if my size. They look like nice shoes to me....

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whoa, what? I would have snagged the pair on the right in a heartbeat if my size. They look like nice shoes to me....

I thought the same.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
favorite find since my last favorite find which was the single breasted 1 button midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo in my size which no one seemed to care about despite it being arguably the perfect formalwear option...
sick ass duffel with detachable hood that fits me like a glove (a loose glove...) NA

made in austria

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
favorite find since my last favorite find which was the single breasted 1 button midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo in my size which no one seemed to care about despite it being arguably the perfect formalwear option...
sick ass duffel with detachable hood that fits me like a glove (a loose glove...) NA

Liar! Remember I triple dog dared you to wear it for the SF meet up in SF!
censored.gif

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Liar! Remember I triple dog dared you to wear it for the SF meet up in SF!
censored.gif
true, barrel is the only homie, also I would have been wearing it on the train which would mean I would be wearing a tuxedo before 6 so I would get beaten up by the #menswear police

CesarC

Reaction score
Hahahaha, nice. I noticed this tux, too, thought it was nice, don't remember if I commented. Maybe not. Even though it's not ball season anymore (prom season maybe? Might be going to a prom soon...), it would be cool if we could do a thrift thread formalwear challenge, even in a sub-thread maybe. I think someone else mentioned this before but didn't see it take-off. I know it's great to see guys on here with different tastes and styles, but I think formalwear would provide a sufficiently restricted regime for such an undertaking. Maybe two categories: black tie and white tie? Oh, and I promise not to wear the silk smoking jacket
devil.gif

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought the same.

Y'all are more experienced than I, but I was skeptical. The brogue holes are really big, and the leather seemed kinda puffy and cheap - which surprised me, because I know Loakes have a good name. These pics might show it better.

Am I crazy?

themixscientist

Reaction score
Stumbled onto someones soul and jazz LP collection. Al Green, Isley Brothers, Brothers Johnson, Miles Davis, Ray Charles, Jonah Jones, Hot Chocolate, Heat Wave, Ramsey Lewis Trio, Friends of Distinction, Spinners, Dells, Aretha, Jonnie Taylor, Main Ingredient. And Bootsy "Player of the Year" .
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Among others.

At this place, LP's are 4 for $1, so 24 for $6.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Yesssirrr!!!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
true, barrel is the only homie, also I would have been wearing it on the train which would mean I would be wearing a tuxedo before 6 so I would get beaten up by the #menswear police
deadhorse-a.gif

Hahahaha, nice. I noticed this tux, too, thought it was nice, don't remember if I commented. Maybe not. Even though it's not ball season anymore (prom season maybe? Might be going to a prom soon...), it would be cool if we could do a thrift thread formalwear challenge, even in a sub-thread maybe. I think someone else mentioned this before but didn't see it take-off. I know it's great to see guys on here with different tastes and styles, but I think formalwear would provide a sufficiently restricted regime for such an undertaking. Maybe two categories: black tie and white tie? Oh, and I promise not to wear the silk smoking jacket
devil.gif
WTF?! Wait a minute...How old are you, again?
puzzled.gif

Recently had a pretty nice shirt score - all Turnbull & Asser from same store during a sale day so ~$4 each:

WTF?! How the hell did I miss this?!
wow.gif
Did DM7 donate a **** ton of his TnA haul from days ago???!!!
satisfied.gif

Must...Refrain...From...PMing...buying ban...In...Full...Effect...

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This was also one of the things I picked up yesterday. Warning: a VERY LONG clothing construction/history sidebar follows...though if you're at all interested in the coolness side of the tailored clothes we deal with, I think it's worth it...
So, I've seen this jacket before on previous visits to one of my shops, and was always really temped to pick it up. But perpetually in a rush, I didn't really look at the detailing on it until yesterday's visit. I paid a bit more attention to it and many of the detailing features stuck out to me. Hand finished lapels, functional cuffs with (what I think is) hand sewn buttonholes, well done internal canvassing structure, etc. When I saw it in the store, I thought the pick stitching was machine done (which, btw, literally goes ALL along the jacket...lapels, sleeves, shoulders, back, bottom... the entire jacket), but from what I'm seeing on tuttofattoamano and after looking really closely at the stitch work, it really might be completely hand done, which is utterly insane to me considering the extent (more on that later). So, I finally caved and bought it despite the stain (I now have a really amazing dry cleaner who I'm sure can get the stain out anyway), then got home and did some research. I'm quite glad I did. First, pictures.
So, some research led me, first, to A. Carceni's wiki page, which is quite glowing, and details the house's storied history, dating back to World War I era Italy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caraceni). It did mention that the name and rights were bought at some point along the way, and that the "revised" Carceni wasn't nearly as impressive as the original counterpart. Some additional digging led me to this (http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/noteworthy-a-caraceni/), which explains in ancestry tree-like detail, the history of the Carceni tailoring family, which I found absolutely fascinating. The long and the short of it is, after the original Carceni died off, his sons opened up two different fashion houses under the name, both fantastic in their own right. Later, the sons of each (both?? Hard to tell) sons, continued the legacy, but at some point the quality of the name was...diluted. Thankfully, it appears that the SC I own was made at one of the original houses, at the Fatebenefratelli address (good brothers??? unless my Italian really is that rusty), and is the good stuff. Even more research led me, finally, to the aforementioned posting by the one and only tuttofattoamano blog (he's a SFer...if you haven't check him out, he does amazing work: http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/), where he had nothing but glowing things to say about the construction of the piece, even calling the pick stitching I talked about earlier "some of the best finishing work I've seen", to which I'm completely inclined to agree (http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2010/05/caraceni.html). I was glad to see that many of my thrifting-honed intuitions about the quality of pieces were pretty spot on. Now that I've got you deep-link divers here, I figured I'd show off a few other pieces from my "Museum of Awesome Ass Old Tailored Pieces". Recently through thrifting, I've come to realize/acknowledge that I'm a bit of a history nerd, and almost equally an appreciator of artwork-quality handiwork. So, along my thrifting adventures, I've come across some pieces that I had no intention of ever selling or wearing (there is one exception I'll note later), that I just had to get because of the overwhelming cool factor of them. I think I've posted one or two of them before, but I figured I'd give them all the full treatment here in one post. The first, and probably the most valuable (though I have absolutely zero intention of selling it) is really cool. It's a blazer from the United States Military Academy (aka, West Point) graduating class of 1950. Pics first:
These kinds of things show up really infrequently on ebay, with wildly ranging prices. That said, because of the rarity, I saw similarly dated blazers go for up to a few hundred bucks, and a cardigan sweater (granted, it was awesome as ****) go for over a grand. Some digging led me to this landing page for the 1950 class, which is absolutely fascinating in its own right (http://www.usma1950.com/). The records and details that they keep on this stuff really shows how important the "West Point experience" was to many of these guys - especially since these guys entered right after World War II, when the country was in a very uncertain place. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but the emblem is raised from the surface by at least 1/4", and is probably physically heavy when removed. It's constructed of these amazing almost metallic-like "braids" of heavy thread or something resembling thread - it's really cool in person. It's a gorgeous grey flannel jacket, and aside from the breast emblem is something straight out of an episode of Mad Men. Super cool piece. This was my first really exciting vintage find, and is near and dear to my heart for more than a few reasons, including the fact that 1) it was also my Savile Row find, 2) it's motherfucking awesome, 3) it fits me (kinda), 4) it's the only Savile Row piece I've found from a now completely defunct maker, and 5) its provenance. I won't go into detail on the last (I really do like to preserve the anonymity of the previous owners, so you'll note that I usually black out the names if there's anything at all identifying on the jackets), but this guy could easily be a true life stand in for those "The Most Interesting Man in the World" commercials. Pics first:
The jacket is from the now defunct Sandon & Co., formerly of Savile Row. Sandon's gained its noteriety mostly as a house specializing in riding gear for both men and women, and they were well regarded for what they did with this (their pieces still demand an insane asking price on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandon-Co-Scarlet-Red-Hunt-Coat-Small-/350275045911 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandon-Co-S...528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519e15c7e0...before you scold me for posting a current asking/non-completed listing, realize I did so only because there are, literally, no completed listings on ebay at the moment, since they just don't show up very often. My research led me to find out that this is actually a men's riding jacket - that's why the ticket pocket is so much higher than the lower pocket - in order to make it accessible while actually mounted on a horse, and also why it has side vents. As with the other pieces, the hand finishing is nothing short of amazing, what you'd expect from a SR piece. Hand sewn buttonholes, lapels, hand attached collar, working cuffs (with something I've never seen before: a "faux" top button which looks to have made the sleeve assembly even more complicated - and thus, more expensive - than normal surgeon cuffs), side vents, a soft shoulder, full canvassing...all the good stuff. Even though it's dated to 1964, this thing is eminently wearable in the pattern and styling. It fits me - I'm going to fix a small separation on the collar attachment and get it (VERY CAREFULLY) dry cleaned, then rock this thing proudly. Next was also a bit of a heartbreak. I searched everywhere for the pants for this beast hoping to find them, but to no avail. It would have made a killer 3-piece suit. The jacket and vest are pinstripe, so, sacrelig as separates according to the mainstream crowd, but I honestly wouldn't hesitate to rock this bold beast somehow. Pics below.
It is by "Cooling, Lawrence, and Wells," later known as "Wells & Sons," and later known as "Wells Tailors and Shirtmakers." They were located at 47 Maddox Street in London, through sometime in the 1970s. Make no mistake, these guys were no Savile Row or even off-Row tailors in terms of prominence, but this is just an overall cool piece from an interesting era in London. It's a great heavyweight flannel type fabric with an underlying herringbone pattern and a cool yellow pinstripe. Yeah, it has wings where the lapels should be, but it also has lots of awesome detailing features we normally associate with high quality: functional cuffs, hand sewn lapels, side vents, and a really gorgeous lining on both the jacket and the vest have an awesome lining. This next one is pretty similar to the one above, but is more likely a sportcoat (though, who knows...the 70s were a crazy time, man). Pics below.
This one is awesome in its own right: it's a sicknasty pattern and fabric texture, is obviously incredibly well made, and (aside from the on the wide side lapels), the styling features are close enough to timeless that I will have no hesitation wearing it (which I will, since it fits me). It is from Lesley & Roberts, who has an interesting and storied history. From my research (unintentionally aided greatly by ATLJon - thanks!), it looks like they've bounced around quite a bit, from Hannover Street, to the famed Cork Street, to finally being bought up by another Savile Row house (Welsh & Jeffries). But they definitely have the quality of all of the heavy hitters - hand sewn lapels, buttonholes, hand attached collar, and side vents to boot. It's cool to see how high even the standard of craftsmanship was just thirty years ago, that could result in such a well made piece from a non-SR (but clearly, still crazy well regarded in its own right) tailoring house. And last - but certainly not least - is the oldest piece I've kept in my collection. It's totally radtastic, but a heartbreaker because I couldn't find the pants (despite scouring and watching the store that they came out of like a hawk in the following weeks). Pics first.
This is an absolutely awesome tuxedo jacket from Austin Reed, back when they actually made their pieces on Regent Street, London, from 1940. The first thing that strikes you about this (well, me at least), is how absolutely awesome it looks despite defying the 1 button shawl lapel/peak lapel convention. I've seen dudes almost almost get shanked for suggesting that anything other than a 1 button shawl lapel or peak lapel tuxedo is acceptable. I know a Barathea 2/1 DB like this one is considered far more acceptable by the Brits, but SF-think ingrained in me that this jacket was basically the sign of Satan's second coming, so I was shocked when I realized how absolutely aesthetically pleasing this jacket looks. The second thing that strikes you when you see (well, feel) this thing is the sheer weight of the behemoth. It is a tank, and I'm fairly certain the lapels are kevlar, not grosgrain. The heavy Barathea twill fabric is weighty, but totally awesome in how it looks when worn. It's a commanding piece overall, and just feels like elegance. Just like the others, all of the handiwork is top notch...it was assembled in 1940 on (what was then) the absolute upper echelon of fashion districts, and so all the handwork isn't surprising (hand attached collar, working cuffs, hand stitched pockets, the works). As a sidenote, these sleeve buttons were the most difficult I've ever encountered to unbutton, and I attribute that to the fact that there was serious attention paid to them and in threading the string around the sleeve buttons in a way that would ensure their integrity for....oh...70 years or so..of use. In case it's not evident, none of this is for sale, and even if this post (which took me embarassingly long to write) gets zero views or responses, it was worthwhile since sharing this all was was for my own edification. Even though the thrifting pursuit is about money WAYYYY more often that it should or would be in an ideal world, I really do love this hobby, for things like this. These are awesome relics of history, and each is an encapsulation of a different time. Many of these pieces will never be replicated in the form I have them, with their masters having died off never to be replaced, or their tailoring philosophies falling by the wayside as new methods and forms come into favor. I think it's cool stuff, and I'll continue to collect really awesome pieces like this for my own enjoyment, and really really encourage everyone else to do so. /sidebar-rant
Add me to the crowd of admirers! Great stuff.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
devil.gif
Wait till I get mine back from the tailor in a few days
nest.gif
SO EXCITED

Quote:
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
So close to my size also!!! $$$$$ HAUL!!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quoting won't work. Shame, because I multied like 20 people and now I can't remember which ones.

Andro: I HEREBY DECLARE THIS THREAD .... REDEEMED.
Nice work, son. Everyone -- I'm looking at you, GMMcL -- take note and emulate.

T&A shirt haul guy: This got lost in review. Nice haul. PM sent

Fit guy with the gray jacket and dark trou: Others have commented and I agree: waist needs nipping, SCALE of the shirt and jacket pattern is a tad too close. As someone who has struggled with this for some time, it takes a LONG time to master (and I haven't yet). But my only advice (given to me by both Dig and Spoo, and many others, but I had to mature and come to it myself before I took it): Go back to basics. Start solids first. Build into pattern mix, and aim for subtlety. Also, it's generally preferred here on SF to do the weightier color on the top. That's not to say you can't ever do a dark trou, but it usually has to be anchored by something equally dark up top. The jacket and tie are generally of a lighter "Value" than those trou, so nothings anchoring it. And yes, those sleeves are a tad short, and the trou a tad long (OH THE BITTER IRONY THAT I SHOULD NIT PICK TROU LENGTH!!). Don't be discouraged, though. The fundamentals are there. Keep trying and keep posting. You shall improve.

Loak and Grenson guy: You asked whether you're crazy. No, you sir are INSANE. Go. Back. Nao. Staple brown shoes of good quality that seem to be in decent condition. And if they are 10.5-11D, PM ******.

Lookn Gr8: Do love those trou. Is that called Donnegal weave?

To all the others whose stuff I multi'd: I'm sorry! Your stuff was cool! But quoting isn't working!

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Quoting is DOA for me for some reason, but sincerely, thanks gents...I honestly had fun with the post and didn't anticipate it would be so well received.  I'm really glad you guys get as much of a kick out of this stuff as I do.  I'll certainly cross-post, thanks.

Now all you need is an antique wardrobe owned by an RAF fighter pilot made from alternating panels of birdseye and tiger maple harvested from the swamps of Dunkirk or whatever...to store all these museum pieces! I often see military (or firefighter parade gear) and am tempted because of all the cool swag & the fact they give you names of firemen and servicemen (and women) to research -- and they have real stories--but don't I go down that path because once I start, my family will get pissed at me for co-opting space in their bedrooms for storage, ha.

Here's my thrift fit for tonight.
I wore this SC and shirt combo a few week ago, and someone mentioned I should swap out my light colered tie for a navy, so that's what I did here. I also added my new Donnanna trousers and a pair of unknown English bench made bal's.
SC, Hickey Freeman from ATLjon
BB light blue shirt, BB navy tie

I like the colors and patterns, and love the socks as a part of the ensemble in particular.  With how slim the opening of the pants are, I feel like you need a little bit more break.  You might be able to get away with it better if they weren't so slim in the leg, but as is, they look a bit highwater-y.

E, I like the coat you're wearing. H-F has some great patterns/colors. They have an outlet too up the street from Orvis, but I can only ever afford to touch ties, pocket squares and an occasional shirt. Cashmere everywhere, there! $$$$$ though even half off. Luckily we find H-F at thrft stores everywhere because it's built so well and stands the test of time. Agree with Andro on the pants.

As for the tweed Barbour coats (I have 2, both of the forest green variety)...thanks. I originally bought them last summer to flip, they were samples. Just happened to fit me. No takers here. It took them a while to grow on my and a few months later (I bought them July 4 weekend, they are very warm jackets) I finally sprang to get the sleeves right-lengthened and have worn them steadily this fall/winter.

Since I haven't done it in a while and I got my new Orvis tablecloths and am feeling a tad spring-y today...church thrift fit:

100% cashmere no-name jacket (Alexander Julian) from brianpore
Bostonian crown windsor pebblegrain shoes
noname (Fratelli? Gianelli?) super 140s cashmere blend pantaloons
orvis shirt
panta from spoo tie

Tell me your thoughts on pocket square, couldn't decide which to wear (alternate choice: White linen) is it too much or just right? Thax

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads