• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does Countess Mara still put the ugly little embroidered logo on the front bottom of their ties?

No, thank goodness they don't do this

anymore. At least not on the 7-fold I have.

Then again, they aren't the only ones to ever embroider something onto a tie:

(Brioni)

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

STORY TIME

I just started tutoring in an area about an hour away from my house and it's a pretty nice area. Decided I'd try stopping by one of their thrift stores as I had an extra 20 minutes to kill. Wasn't finding too much, went back to the suit section and immediately pulled this jacket out because the pattern looked so nice. Turns out it's a J. Press 3/2. First time I've ever found J. Press. Probably 42-44, haven't measured yet. Small moth hole on the back. Some quick pics.

Anyway, as I pick it up I notice something heavy in the pocket. I pick it out and it's a little bag that's quite literally full of gold. About 5 pairs of cufflinks, a bracelet, and a wedding band with an inscription on it. So me being an honest person, I found someone who worked there and showed her. She was extremely grateful for my honesty. We ended up talking for about 10 minutes about it. She told me that someone may end up getting fired for not finding it which made me pretty sad. She said that they most likely wouldn't be able to figure out who donated it and she said I could have a pair of cufflinks in the bag if I wanted to. Without thinking I grabbed two with gold coins on them. They look like this.

The coins are $5 Liberty coins from 1882 which according to http://www.coinstudy.com/liberty-ten-dollar-gold-coin-values.html are worth a minimum of $391 each. Everything else is made of gold as well and I have no idea what an actual value of them would be and I'm not sure if I can get the coins out (or if I would even want to). So one of the best finds from last year was a set of Tiffany's cufflinks that were sold for something like $800 and were paid $5 for. I technically paid $6 for these. We'll see.
Either way, being honest is always worth it.

Speaking of honesty, I just checked my credit card today which I paid in full last month. Turns out there's a credit of a little more than $400 sitting on it. Strange. So I looked into it and it seems to be from Best Buy, where I had recently purchased a TV for the same amount. So I called them up and discussed the situation, the TV was scheduled for in-sore pick up. I picked it up and had to sign and show valid ID for the TV. Somehow wires got crossed at BB and they never logged it as picked up.

Long story short after looking at our options to resolve it, the call center manager said "Merry Christmas." There was literally nothing they could do now that the money had been credited back. So while it still seems weird I at least feel better that I tried to return the funds.

And, even though it wasn't thrifted, I think a NIB Samsung 32" LED TV for free is a pretty good "Thrift"

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit today. May it please the Court. (BTW, you asked for a tripod shot, you got it. But because I can't "pre focus" with me in the shot, the white balance is all off. So I took a couple the old fashioned way too)
Deets: Suit = St. Laurie Shirt = J Press Tie = White, tradly goodness Belt = nothing of consequence Sox = Pantherella Shoes = AE Park aves in Oxblood.
I'm bound and determined to hit at least 2 stores today. Wish me luck!

dexconstruct

Reaction score

Thrift fit today. May it please the Court. (BTW, you asked for a tripod shot, you got it. But because I can't "pre focus" with me in the shot, the white balance is all off. So I took a couple the old fashioned way too)
Deets: Suit = St. Laurie Shirt = J Press Tie = White, tradly goodness Belt = nothing of consequence Sox = Pantherella Shoes = AE Park aves in Oxblood.
I'm bound and determined to hit at least 2 stores today. Wish me luck!
I think the self-shots have been throwing things off because the fit in the tripod shots is much better than the self-shots. Suit looks perfect.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick FYI for any 42L...

I happened across an eBay listing for a 42L NWT Hickey Freeman black blazer. Wool/cahsmere blend.I am pretty sure it is the most recent label. BIN of $40, but I shot the guy a lower offer, and he responded with $35.
Is it an orphan? Probably. Do people around here scoff at black blazers? Some.
Is it cheap? Damn right.
The size is listed as a medium, but the seller sent me a picture of the label.
Somebody ought to grab it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18110996939...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_139wt_1161

No affiliation w
i th the seller. I found it looking for a Hickey spring jacket.
Oh yeah, orphan fur sure.
Couple things today:
Nat, you ever seen this brand before? Made just a few miles from my hometown. My size and mint, keeping!

J Crew blazer for the wife

Something I was looking for, navy textured silk tie, BB makers.

This awesome deadstock, NWT Redhead hunting jacket. This one has all the bells and whistles.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Made right here in Chicago, this puts all those ****** 90's Redhead flannels I've come across to shame.

And finally, an epic, 3 way, cross country, orphan, reverse orphan reunion, courtesy of Pnut and the Capt'! Sadly, I think the jacket is too long, but I'm going to talk to my tailor and see what she as to say about it.

nod[1].gif
drool.gif
wow.gif

STORY TIME

I just started tutoring in an area about an hour away from my house and it's a pretty nice area. Decided I'd try stopping by one of their thrift stores as I had an extra 20 minutes to kill. Wasn't finding too much, went back to the suit section and immediately pulled this jacket out because the pattern looked so nice. Turns out it's a J. Press 3/2. First time I've ever found J. Press. Probably 42-44, haven't measured yet. Small moth hole on the back. Some quick pics.

Anyway, as I pick it up I notice something heavy in the pocket. I pick it out and it's a little bag that's quite literally full of gold. About 5 pairs of cufflinks, a bracelet, and a wedding band with an inscription on it. So me being an honest person, I found someone who worked there and showed her. She was extremely grateful for my honesty. We ended up talking for about 10 minutes about it. She told me that someone may end up getting fired for not finding it which made me pretty sad. She said that they most likely wouldn't be able to figure out who donated it and she said I could have a pair of cufflinks in the bag if I wanted to. Without thinking I grabbed two with gold coins on them. They look like this.

The coins are $5 Liberty coins from 1882 which according to http://www.coinstudy.com/liberty-ten-dollar-gold-coin-values.html are worth a minimum of $391 each. Everything else is made of gold as well and I have no idea what an actual value of them would be and I'm not sure if I can get the coins out (or if I would even want to). So one of the best finds from last year was a set of Tiffany's cufflinks that were sold for something like $800 and were paid $5 for. I technically paid $6 for these. We'll see. Either way, being honest is always worth it.
Wow! I can't believe this didn't get more attention it deserves! Man, it would of been difficult for me to return those...
**** was dope. Bill (gent in the hat) easily out steezed everyone there.

Everyone say hi to future Gov of CA.

Ahem. Lightweight...
Hey buddy, gimme some credit over here! I was drinking on an empty stomach! Cheers!
Wish me luck. Hunting the Hermes reverse orphans today. Have matched up at least 15 orphaned suits in the last week....so.
Bro, I think Lady Luck is already in your pocket!
Thrift fit. Vintage Columbia duck shirt. And also I was wearing that blaze orange Lo hunting jacket

Bro, do a thrift fit in your lo-jacket! That **** was dope!!!!!!!!!!
Speaking of honesty, I just checked my credit card today which I paid in full last month. Turns out there's a credit of a little more than $400 sitting on it. Strange. So I looked into it and it seems to be from Best Buy, where I had recently purchased a TV for the same amount. So I called them up and discussed the situation, the TV was scheduled for in-sore pick up. I picked it up and had to sign and show valid ID for the TV. Somehow wires got crossed at BB and they never logged it as picked up.

Long story short after looking at our options to resolve it, the call center manager said "Merry Christmas." There was literally nothing they could do now that the money had been credited back. So while it still seems weird I at least feel better that I tried to return the funds.

And, even though it wasn't thrifted, I think a NIB Samsung 32" LED TV for free is a pretty good "Thrift"
LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow.gif

Good luck. Any tips on how to reunite orphans?
Something about sacrificing a small house hold animal to the thrift gods...

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying so hard not to think about what I missed out on this morning. All this stuff was out long enough to be put away in their proper places.

Ties:

Deets:

Question: Is the blue Henley & Sloan tie a grenadine? I found the same one on their website and they have it listed as a grenadine style?

http://henleyandsloane.com/store/ties-1/tie-2.html?SID=c9e96d2c86cb8a3c7ad177779cbf178c

Close-up:

Recent Gant Rugger Handloom Madras shirt. XL

Recent HF solid navy staple suit. 39 R. Boardroom

Recent HF Brownish-Gray Windowpane. 42 R

Killer vintage t-shirt

EG OD green trousers. Mint. Not sure if these were ever worn.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying so hard not to think about what I missed out on this morning. All this stuff was out long enough to be put away in their proper places.

Ties:

Deets:

Question: Is the blue Henley & Sloan tie a grenadine? I found the same one on their website and they have it listed as a grenadine style?

http://henleyandsloane.com/store/ties-1/tie-2.html?SID=c9e96d2c86cb8a3c7ad177779cbf178c

Close-up:

Killer vintage t-shirt

Woa!
thumbs-up.gif

sn0wman

Reaction score

The coins are $5 Liberty coins from 1882 which according to http://www.coinstudy.com/liberty-ten-dollar-gold-coin-values.html are worth a minimum of $391 each. Everything else is made of gold as well and I have no idea what an actual value of them would be and I'm not sure if I can get the coins out (or if I would even want to). So one of the best finds from last year was a set of Tiffany's cufflinks that were sold for something like $800 and were paid $5 for. I technically paid $6 for these. We'll see. Either way, being honest is always worth it.

As a coin collector, I see no reason to think they are fakes.. Congrats! I've been looking for nice looking coin cufflinks -- Those are very well done!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Close-up:

Killer vintage t-shirt

Woa!
thumbs-up.gif

Is that:

or

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Def. woa ala Bill and Ted. **** Joey!

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads