1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

If in a thrift, I toss it in the basket, then find a nice quiet well-lit spot and play the "why is this here?" game - i.e.: where is the hole / stain / damage...if I can't answer that question, I buy it and do a closer inspection at home - playing the game has cut down dramatically on mis-purchases.

I'd like to know what it's like inside there - either them or Miller Bros. has a bar inside (and the other has a vinyl record lounge). Would be cool if SF did a feature on the ATL shops and Edgar Pomeroy.

I really think there is "the eye" factor in addition to "the gambler", when it comes to unknowns. I've bought stuff that I looked at and said "I think this is a something" but not knowing anything about it - take a chance for a buck, five bucks - not going to kill me or make me homeless. The thrill & anticipation of not bothering to find a signal and trying to look it up - just pay the damn dollar and find out when you get home. Take that gamble, but you do it often enough it can be less of a gamble and more of an educated wager with the odds slightly more in your favor over time.
    I love the gamble - taking the risk - without it, there is no reward - be it monetary or an education or otherwise.
    On the other hand, I'm off to Vegas in March, which is a loss before I even get there...but you never know - I've won big and lost big.

2. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

C = short

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Buttons are easy to swap out.

That jacket is awesome.

Exactly. I've taken my share of risks, and hope I've learned to spot quality vs merely label. But in my area, risk is a very expensive proposition.

4. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

No pictures right now, but thrifted a pair of these in my size this evening:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Oh, I love the feeling of thrifting/discounting for six hours AFTER working eight hours! I managed to get a 10km run in there as well. Hopefully the smell wasn't too bad for those following me! Lots of belts, shirts and jackets. Photos a bit later... Time to grab a bite and head home!

1 person likes this.
  6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I lol'd. You would say that! I've yet to have a successful atempt at it. Oh ya, Jacket will ship this week for ya!

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Sadly, I think I found some rips in the lining after as well. Oh well.

8. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Damn dude! That looks awesome! I can just imagine what it must feel like. I think you were right about the denim being the same as the N&F slubs because they look exactly the same.

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

@barrelntrigger

I was at The Rack a short time ago. There's a Nudie Jeans Gusten denim shirt. Reminded me of you. It's a large and on the clearance rack. The Rack at Westgate...

10. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

Glad that worked for you! I hadn't heard back so I assumed it did. Thanks again!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and about the WAYWRN thread, has anyone been following along there the past month and noticed the guy named "Jameister" and the stuff he posts? I think it's hilarious, it must be the pose/face he makes but I laugh out loud almost every time he posts. Not trying to be a dick but it happens...

EDIT: He has changed his name to Diglet...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

SLP GW? My brother had a couple hockey games at the arena right down the road from there, so naturally I went there every day that week. I saw it and just couldn't pass on it, I figured I could find someone that would want it... and sure enough. [​IMG]

Most of the time I feel like I'm in your wake along with the other MN guys on here, but I'll be heading back to school pretty quick here so I'll be out of the metro till spring.

Thanks for leaving me some scraps! [​IMG]

12. TWU2014

TWU2014 Senior member

Brooks Brothers Cambridge Style Camel Hair Patch Pocket Camel Hair 43L

[​IMG][​IMG]

Oxxford Cloths Shade of Blue Sz 46R
    Model: Benjamin II
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lauren Ralph Lauren Brown Glen Plaid w/ Suede Elbow Patches Blazers Sz 43L

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Faconnable Albert Goldberg (XL)
    Closure: 3 Button Vent: Dual
    Fabric: 95% Lambswool; 5% Cashmere

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Culwell & Son’s Sport Coat Sz 43L
    Fabric: See photo
    Vented: Dual Side
    Origin: Canada

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ties
    Sero Lime Green, Bobby Jones Collection Pink
    [​IMG]
    Charvet
    [​IMG]

Shoe(s)
    AE Manchester Sz 12

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yup. Saw the tell-tale Brooks Bros "Made in Italy" label at the collar and the pattern. My heart sank when I saw it was a couple sizes too big. Was gonna pick it for trade collateral but was short on bread. Hopefully things pick up and there will be more than enough to go around. :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

^ So many Minnesota thrifters on here.

I've been eyeing this Nike Flash Pack jacket for a while, but $350 was too much for a running jacket. Managed to get it for $125 after stacking three discounts. It has a 3M glass-beaded body with 400-candlepower reflectivity.

lights on

[​IMG]

lights off

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ That is cool! Wow!

16. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

thats anime style there

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm still in shock from this one... One Arc'teryx would make my day, two blew me away. But what really made this haul was the Assos bib shorts. Those things are serious grail status for cycling gear. I almost didn't see them lurking in the women's athletic gear section. I was walking between the racks of shoes and happened to catch the logo sticking out at me like a sore thumb. For those who don't know, Assos is a Swiss company that makes the best stuff hands down, and it costs about 3-4X what everything else does. Men's stuff would be even better to find (not just because it 'might' fit me, but because it resells better). The two Arc'teryx fleeces are my size, but I'm not keeping them, I seriously find good fleece every week.

And is it me, or are the thrifts raining Nudies lately? This is like the 5th pair I've found in the past week.

THat's hot! [​IMG]

Even though it's an older one, I wholeheartedly agree. I remember when those things were brand new (I'm putting this one at circa 2001).

That's a whole heckuva lot brighter than the vest I picked up at Marshall's a few weeks ago. Of course, I only paid $20 for mine. [​IMG]

18. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

bawse

though i wish that shirt had a little more life to it. it looks kind of flat here.

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I seriously feel like I passed on every last one of those today... J.Crew is easily the most common decent brand I see in thrifts (after Brooks Brothers). I'll keep you in mind, but I rarely see shirts for under $5 around here.

20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yeah, it's 12 months now. But they will "work with the customer" if the customer has a legitimate complaint. There are many things that REI sells that should last for many many years. As one who frequents Scratch And Dent sales at REI, I've seen some stuff that most definitely should not have been accepted as a return. The worst was a pair of Arc'teryx GoreTex bib pants that were completely shredded (they looked like someone was frequently using their crampons to scratch their legs while wearing the pants! These pants were easily 10 years old, and obviously worn into the ground. I'm sure someone got a brand new pair in exchange!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.