1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Can't take credit.....edits courtesy of Noob.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Thanks! Haha, we've been doing so when we can but sadly most stuff doesn't seem appetizing to my wife right now and many smells from different foods make her nauseous. We have to play it safe when it comes to restaurants. Haha. We got out big Japan trip done a year or so ago so that feels nice to get one big trip if before we have a little one in tow.

:crackup:

Literally burst out laughing when I read this.

Hahaha! :slayer:

3. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

4. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Senior member

Congrats @nataku and @ATLjon!!!!

Also, I picked a mint Wrangler Big Ben denim chore coat a few days ago. I remember seeing someone on here mention it but I can't find the posts. Good pickup? I'm weak in the denim area and still learning..

5. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

Yeah, it seems like slightly better quality than J. Crew, maybe typical BB. The fit is great for me, though.

I didn't know Y's can be unisex. Not sure if I want to venture into the Yohji thread, but thanks for the suggestion.

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

Congrats Nataku!

7. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

Holy hell that is epic

1 person likes this.
  8. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Local discount store had an additional 20% discount for braving the cold so we hit that up. Suits and ties turned out to be 90% off retail plus the additional discount but it was mostly slim pickins but: (excuse the quick bathroom pic)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RLBL Herringbone that I've been eyeing for myself for a long time

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and this Canali to pay for it

Also a pair of cool PRL pants.

My receipt:
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Oh shit - that really was the first time I laughed out loud reading this or any other thread on this forum! I thought it was your bare leg sticking out the whole time... Oh man I needed that laugh - thank you and your PhotoShopper.

2 people like this.
  10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I usually don't care for Brioni ties (though I do have one -- a gift from Catside -- that I'm partial to), but that's beautiful.

I don't understand the panic. I literally just don't understand it.
    Water still freezes at 32F, right?

And it doesn't get more frozen, right?

And most of anything anyone was going to do was going to be inside in winter anyway, right?

So what's the f'ing problem?

Look, I'm not saying I did this as a kid. I'm just saying I understand and have special feelings of sympathy for that girl.

That being said, it's amazing what passes for news these says.

Ditto; congrats to all the expectant fathers. Spoo's advice is spot on, but I guess I would revise it as follows: Do a lot of whatever you enjoy doing, because it's going to be a long time before you get to do it again, and even then, never as you will now. For the Spoos, that's travel and dining. For you it might be something else.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    4 people like this.
  11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I was eyeing that Canali suit in there but was just a bit much for me. There was a nice glen plaid Hickey suit for $125 I probably should have bought. I got an email notification that they were doing an extra 20% off Sun-Mon due to the cold but figured it'd be picked over. Glad to see a SFer pick that Canali up.

Thanks, guys!

@ Evo - I would have passed on the Big Ben. Wrangler Blue Bell stuff is a good pickup, though.

Actually I was able to turn boiling water into vapor/steam just by tossing it into the air last night. :hide:

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Today was a weird day...

At first I was psyched, I found a 3 hickey freeman suits, a canali suit, a canali SC, and a few other awesome things. When I went through them, almost everything had a rip or tear or moth hole and not worth it...

I ended up leaving with this:

Southwick Suit Size 44.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 PRL Corneliani pants Size 34. One is wool the other is Flax (linen?). The flax is a teal/blue -ish color I need to photograph in the daylight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I reexamined the last canali SC I had...
    It's a size 56L (So 46L US) And it turns out it was my first of a very special fabric maker!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anddd.. it turns out that it's my first one of these that you guys have been firing up the new year with!
    Loro Piana!
    [​IMG]

(Am I wrong to be excited about this?)

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

As often as I can be disciplined to do it, I don't buy something -- particularly a very exciting find -- without first asking myself "Why are you still here? How is it that, with everyone else out there trolling for finds, I found you?" Sure enough, as often as not, I find a hole or some defect.

Then comes the agonizing decision whether to buy anyway.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I passed on all those things, but click the last spoiler to see what passed QC.

I've definitely learned to pass things up. Honestly, I put down some cool things today, like an armani collezioni tux jacket. I couldn't find the pants... A really nice j-press navy blazer with one missing button, a no-name harris tweed with a couple of stains, and all those suits. It was a hard thing to do, but I knew that they'd just sit and sit and sit and no one would want to trade for them or buy them. What a waste....

I do the exactly same thing that you do though and thanks to you and spoo and wes and nataku and orgetorix and everyone for teaching me that. Most often, you leave with nothing and thats a good thing because those few dollars are much better spent on something that either fits you perfectly or can be traded/flipped easily instead of sitting around collecting dust because nobody wants it. Those dollars add up quick!

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

[​IMG]

Oh, and I took a stroll into Sid Mashburn today. I'll have something to show for it on Jan. 21.

16. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Senior member

Thanks, guys!

@ Evo - I would have passed on the Big Ben. Wrangler Blue Bell stuff is a good pickup, though.

You're welcome Nat. Also, I was on the fence about the Big Ben chore coat but it is basically unworn, it was really cheap and it was made in the USA. I could return it but I think I'm okay with keeping it. Thanks for the input brother!

17. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Not a problem. Hey, if you like it and it fits definitely hang onto it. They're great pieces and made to last.

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

Converse point to this conversation -

I think Ive been in a thrift shop over 1500 times, and left with nothing grand total maybe 10. I never leave with nothing - not that Im the luckiest guy in the world, or my spots are that golden by any means - but early on in my career (and from poker I guess) I like taking risks. I dont like not knowing if I can turn a $5 bill into a $50. But I tried. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didnt. Probably lost a few thousand bucks over the years - probably made twice that from trying. But those few thou I lost trying wasnt lost - turned into an education on what DID work and what to look for that was similar to that. And so on.

Goes back to my post a few weeks ago about not shopping labels but shopping quality. Shop good. Shop unique. Shop unusual. You need the gamble in you though. But if we only posted grails, this thread would be super boring. I get a better rush from selling a pair of 1950s jeans for $50 than a Kiton jacket for $300. Its not the money, its the love. YMMV

10 people like this.
  19. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Senior member

So I've been a member for a couple years, a bit reluctant to post (I've been posting a little more often lately), but I read this thread and the WAYWRN thread almost every day. Many thanks for those enduring my PMs when you find larger dude items, and for giving me knowledge and entertainment. I've been way too busy to post any pictures of my purchases until now. So here is a giant post with all of my items over the last couple months. Here are the categories:

1. Huge gigantic shout outs to SF members that I've purchased items from or I've traded with, helping me to remake my closet.
    @Shoeluv
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Paul Smith blouse for the fiance
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bowring Arundel, Paul Stuart braces, BB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BB Loro Piana trousers, a little large but close enough to be taken in
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PRL cashmere

@schmidtdalton13
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BB 1818 Fitzgerald orphan/SC with E. Thomas silk/wool blend. Any recommendations for button colors if I decide to swap them? Brown horn?

@ridethecliche
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thomas Pink superfine two-fold shirt

Also shout out to @jdrizzy for the navy Aquascutum trench and @dazedstate for the BB Madison brown wool trousers. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of these.

2. True thrifts that are available. I know some or most of you would instantly pass on most or all of this stuff, and that's fine. If you are interested in anything, shoot me a PM. Otherwise they are going to the website.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PRL merino wool hunter green 3roll2 suit, dual vent, ticket pocket, pockets still basted shut. Size 46L drop 6.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PRL Yarmouth OCBD size 16 32/33
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PRL Blake OCBD size XL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PRL cotton half-zip sweater size L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BB 346 non-iron OCBD size L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pendleton OCBD size XL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hickey Freeman Bespoke navy orphan, Loro Piana Super 120s, estimated size 44R. Slight lining separation (about 4" needs to be restitched) near vent.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Banana lambswool/cashmere blend with elbow patches size XL, bought for myself but doesn't fit right.

3. True thrifts for myself.
    [​IMG]
    Joseph Abboud NWT, Pendleton (e-thrift, grouped in wrong picture, oops), Pendleton (actually this one is available as it's really short), random 100% wool knit (Terenzi?), Satya Paul ecstacy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    LL Bean crewneck sweater. This was my Christmas morning attire this year.
    [​IMG]
    J Crew crewneck sweater. My fiance hates this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Banana cotton button up sweater
    [​IMG]
    Banana x5 on clearance for about $2 each. Wool/silk/cotton blends.
    And thrifted a really ugly tie today for the giveaway thread :lurk:

4. E-thrifts for myself.
    [​IMG]
    J Crew, J Crew, PRL, Zegna, Zegna
    [​IMG]
    I think I have enough gold ties. BBx4, Aquascutum
    [​IMG]
    BB, Giorgio Armani, PRL, BB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BB OCBD, white with light blue pinstripe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BB OCBD, purple windowpane. I know there is a name for this pattern, can't think of it.
    [​IMG]
    AE Sanford. New sole.
    [​IMG]
    AE Wendell.
    [​IMG]
    Alden monk strap oxford in black calfskin. Due for a restoration I think. Paid less than $30. I don't have much need for a black shoe, so this suffices. Alden Norwegian front blucher in dark brown calfskin. Worn less than 5 times per seller, and I believe him. They took me a month to break in until they were comfortable. They both need to be cleaned as I've been wearing them.

5. Picked this up today, as I read in another thread that this may be a thing. I haven't been able to find much info at all. Help? Worth anything? No tag but I estimate a 46R. Connemara Fabrics, made in Ireland.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Finally, the Marshall's trip that I posted about over the weekend...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3x RLPL black ties. I'd love to keep one of these for sentimental reasons as this is my first time seeing RLPL, but I can't really come up with an outfit for a black patterned tie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RLPL orange OCBD size XL. I soooo want to keep this as it fits perfectly everywhere except snug in the neck. Is it sad that I want to use this as motivation to lose weight before my wedding, instead of using the wedding itself as motivation? :facepalm:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RLPL Luxury 200s 2 ply cotton Keaton spread collar french cuff size 15. This thing is gorgeous.
    Left behind a Duchamp neon blue/white check OCBD as it didn't have original tags, RLBL tie, Fendi tie, and a couple ugly Versace shirts.

Thanks for enduring that. I look forward to the critiques that will follow. Thanks for helping me adopt and keep a hobby that I love!

Oh, and the butler was thrifted too. Ten bucks at a used furniture store. Stamp on the front says made in Italy. I figured I don't have a mannequin so that is the next best thing for pics.

6 people like this.
  20. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

THIS

So many newbies on here are so concerned about the label instead of trying to understand why that brand is sought after (the construction, the fabric, the history of the company, the allure that comes with that and etc). There are many REASONS why a label is sought after on here whether MC or SWD. I think for many of the newbies, they haven't read the last 500-1000 pages and that is why we get annoyed when they ask whether in a discreet or non-discreet way of whether they should've picked up something or if anyone heard of that label. IF they read the 500-1000 pages, they're too concerned about the label versus why that label became a sought after one. Look, if you want to flip then understand what flip and look for that label. If you truly want to wear what you find and feel like a million bucks, then do the research and understand the brands you're picking up.

If you want to focus on labels, go into a high end dept store (NM, Saks, Barneys or now Bloomies) and look at all of the brands. Write them down, read up on them, and touch the damn item. You'll be able to tell and understand why a certain item is so much more than another. (I.e. Loro Piana - have any of you read up on their history and what goes into their QC? It's amazing)
    I went into Bloomies / Barney's the other day and tried to understand the diff amongst D2, Ervell, MMM, Jil and Barrett. I stayed for a good hour looking at all parts of the items. I'm no expert but at least I'm trying to distinguish what is quality and what is not from items that flip well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.