1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanM

DanM Senior member

Wait, everyone does it with Filson and LL Bean? I should hope not.

Although it would explain the quantity of watchers I currently have on a Filson waterfowl sweater.

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I know a guy who is a coop member at REI and he basically buys one pair of shoes and returns it about 11 and a half months later for a replacement. Free shoes for life?

3. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I was really never considering it. I have trouble returning new stuff. :happy:

So for the record an item loses it's lifetime guarantee when the original owner gives/sells said item?

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

He is a dishonest POS. "Everybody" is not doing it, but that is how low character types rationalize their behavior.

Over the years I have bought a few items from the BB Clearance Center (a no return policy there) which had mistakenly made it through without having the labels marked through. So someone could take that item to a mainline store and get merchandise credit. Fuck that. I marked the labels.

2 people like this.
  5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Found a Carmen Marc Valvo tie. Seems odd. Probably fake.

6. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Was supposed to go to a birthday shindig in Lincoln Park tonight and was dreading taking the Red Line down there. Luckily, it got postponed due to weather. This is my first winter in Chicago, and it is no joke!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Agree with other responses. I'm sure there are some jackasses that do this, "everyone" is stretch.

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Actually, its not much worse than -25 or so.

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

Definitely no joke. I'm from Wisconsin though, so I'm used to it. I actually remember a time in the early 90's where we hit -70-80 windchill for a week straight. I think that was the only time in my life where school was canceled due to cold weather. When we finally got back up to 0 degrees, it actually felt balmy.

10. eazye

eazye Senior member

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Wife & I purchased a crib from Costco for our daughter which converts into a full size bed. Wife is due again in 6 months with another baby, so this convertible crib will be put on hold for another couple years, just going to reuse it for the next one. But the point about all this is, I would look into something that can be used more than just a crib.

I want to hear more about the early morning shenanigans!! Happen to have anything caught on video? Sounds freakin awesome!

12. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Going outside today was a mistake. As was biking around this weekend to thrift. So much for me telling the flu who was in charge :(

13. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

Returning thrifted clothes for new at retailers is some pretty scummy behavior. Nothing surprises me anymore though so i'm sure it does happen more often than not. REI used to have a great return policy but due to abuse it was changed last summer, instead of lifetime returns on all products i think it is 12 months now,

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Did I know you were from Wisco? I was born there - we lived in Lake Geneva but ended up in Madison for most of my time there.
    My worst Wisconsin winter memory is falling thru the ice on a shallow pond and having to walk home, pants and shoes freezing along the way until I looked like Frankenstein lurching down the sidewalk in frozen stiff pants. That sucked badger balls.

15. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Not as good as the last couple days but- tieszzssszsz

Tyrwhit, Carmen Marc Valvo, Brioni, Bullocks 70% Cashmere 30% Silk
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Decided to take Nataku's advice and hit up his spot by my work. Parking lot was about half full when usually it's completely full of cars. Nothing amazing but grabbed:

[​IMG]
    Couple of Steven Alan shirt (M & L)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rag & Bone lightweight jacket/shirt thing (M)

Might get out some more tonight. I'm dressed for it.

3 people like this.
  17. woodchuck312

Nice tie haul.

I've been thrifting like a mad man the last 2 months especially but i've been really cold on ties. Maybe a handful of ties that were worth buying. Last winter I was loading up on quality ties everywhere I went. Really strange. Also have noticed ties are being marked up a lot higher now as well. Last year they were $2-3 most places not $6-10.

18. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Another E-thrift for me
    100% Cashmere Brioni tie[​IMG] Thick and sumptuous. The way I like my cashmere to be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a solitary thrift
    John Varvatos suit in super condition 46L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. woodchuck312

Found this really nice recent Burberry Wool Coat with a zip in liner Sunday. Along with some T&A shirts, a few assorted suits, some Qouddy wingtips, about 4 pairs of AE Parks and Strands, Brioni and Loro Piana Pants. Oh and Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser.

Had to pay a few bucks for the Burberry but fits me great and will do some good tomorrow in the -15 degree weather here.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This is my favorite single stop ever!

2X Arc'teryx fleeces, Patagonia H2No jacket, Nudie Thin Finns, Smith cycling shades, 2X PRL sweaters (one is NWT!), and Assos lady bib shorts (certainly a first for me from a thrift! I sold a NWOT pair for $250+ a few months ago).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.