1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

It might pay off. I mean, you're practically there already. :D

4 people like this.
  2. Magician Shaun

Magician Shaun Well-Known Member

I actually had a real brag worthy day!
    Pal Zileri suit, NWT Innocenti Tie by Tom James, 3 pairs of Canali pants all same size likely same donor, and a nice Gold Colored blazer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Here's some e-thrifts from the past week or so. Not crazy prices but stuff I've been wanting for a long time and at considerably less than retail prices.

Todd Snyder x Champion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dehen sweater. Thrilled about this one. My new favorite sweater. Will be getting some good use out of this if this cold keeps up.

[​IMG]

Vintage duck camo t-shirt by Ranger. XL. Hard to find vintage t-shirts that fit me due to how slim they are. This actually fits like a trim XL and is perfect. :slayer:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. DanM

DanM Senior member

-35 with wind chill where I'm at (mideast-Indiana). But since I have to buy a baby shower gift after work, I may as well go thrifting too...

1 person likes this.
  5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Saw two of that same shirt in L last week, but it was definitely a slim L, else I was going to grab it for you.

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

This was me a 7am this morning, except replace the Brown Line with the Red. It was so cold, half the doors on the train were frozen shut. It's actually colder now than it was this morning. :fu: :freeze:

7. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

8. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

You should take the tie on the left, wear it and post a pic here.

9. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

This is where fit < function
    I have jackets 2sizes larger for such occasions

Mucho layers!!!

10. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Thrifted a table saw last week. Started this built-in over new years, coming along nicely.
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

@highvoltorb

My favorite jeans at the moment. Gustin Super Heavy Slubs, 18 oz. (after a soak should be 20 oz.) in a straight, 32.

Super slubby! Love the texture! Stiff as a cardboard. Not pictured a big fat 6 oz. (I think) veggie tanned real leather patch! Love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

@ATLjon and @Nataku, I'd be hitting the children's resale shops. We found a nice Pali made in Italy for our kid at one of those places. Only $50, probably because of the gnaw marks from the previous occupant.

1 person likes this.
  13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

My first winter in Chicago (1994/5), the wind chill topped out at -76...the following summer was the big heat wave when several hundred people died. After that I thought I'd made a huge mistake moving there but both events were flukes - was great living there from then on.

Here, supposed to get around -15 wind chill tonight...got my whiskey and the fireplace is ready.

1 person likes this.
  14. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Found a SF member today IRL who buys Brooks Brothers shirts with frayed collars and cuffs and exchanges them for new BB shirts from a B&M store. This isn't kosher right?
    Allegedly everyone does it with Filson, LL Bean,... Anything with a lifetime guarantee.
    Is everyone doing this? Does a lifetime guarantee last forever? Am I missing something?

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

That's pretty sweet! I'd love to build me a custom entertainment center-type thing that doesn't look like it came from Ikea (not that there's anything wrong with that), and some book / record / DVD / CD shelves, but I have zero idea how to do such things.

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

They might be getting away with it, but that's not what those guarantees are there for... Don't let someone else's lack of ethics sway you.

17. eazye

eazye Senior member

Yessir! Good guess!

18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've heard some crazy stories from a friend who's worked at REI for years. They have a super liberal return policy and he said the worst situation ever is where someone brought in an REI down sleeping bag from the early 80's that had a broken zipper. He wanted to exchange it for a new one because of the "defect". As employees, they couldn't ask any questions beyond what was wrong with it and had to exchange it for a new down bag. Ridiculous. :facepalm:

19. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Right on!
    I hear of ridiculous returns and it's sad people take advantage

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  20. concealed

concealed Senior member

No, everyone is not doing that. Do people really not have shame or pride anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.