• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems like the forum perspective on using suit coats as orphan sports jackets (if you will) is very negative.  If the suit coat has a good fit, and you can put it in an outfit that looks good with non matching pants, what is the aversion?

School me on this.

<EDIT: Wes beat me to it.>
Jacket in question was Pinstripe. Pretty much impossible not to look like an orphan. If it is a pretty bold pattern, or a more casual suiting, I don't think there is as much of an objection.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dislike that song immensely, but I did think it was funny hearing it while I was at a local Savers last week.

You might dislike that song, but the number of versions on YouTube are amazing. There's Pot Shop for reefer fans:

Bait Shop for folks who like ice fishing

At least two Sponge Bob versions:

Several acoustic versions:

And my personal favorite, an Islamic version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E4s23H8woE

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You want a real-life PP rip-off story? I'll give you one.

They hung their hat on the fact that I had mailed the shoes to an address other than the one on the PP account

you just proved my point.

PayPal gave you a VERY easy way to prevent any of this kind of drama: just ship to the address on the PP account. boom. done. you're protected. instead, you chose to ship to a different account, and then put the burden on PP to make sure that the non-PP address actually belonged to the buyer. that would require them spending time talking to you to get your side of the story, them trying to get in touch with the account holder, them investigating on their own, possibly paying to have their attorneys file subpoenas to the US Post Office to confirm that the non-PP address (i'm guessing it was a PO box) was registered to the same account holder. seems like a crappy way for them to earn their 5% or whatever commission, all just so you can avoid having to ship to the registered address. they gave you a cost-free way to protect yourself and you chose not to utilize it. don't blame them for not wanting to spend tons of money just because you chose to do A instead of B. as a libertarian would say, people need to take more personal responsibility for their actions, and not expect to be bailed out at every turn.

So, why would I continue dealing with PP after all of that? News flash: If you transact business on the Internet, you really have no other choice, and it totally sucks.

no one is forcing you to sell things on the internet. you can sell things locally, just like people always have. take an ad out in your local paper. support your local paper! you're choosing to sell on the internet because you can demand a higher price due to the larger number of potential buyers, so just accept that you're going to have to play by someone else's rules.

also: look into dwolla.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems like the forum perspective on using suit coats as orphan sports jackets (if you will) is very negative. If the suit coat has a good fit, and you can put it in an outfit that looks good with non matching pants, what is the aversion?

School me on this.

That would be fine....but typically won't work well for a pinstripe jacket.

Read HERE but disregard the photo....was actually a suit (pants were cropped out)

True but there are providers who make striped sport coats, the material makes a big difference. Linen is much easier to pull off as a sport coat than wool or flannel

http://www.gilt.com/brand/brunello-...653-brunello-cucinelli-linen-pinstripe-blazer

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you just proved my point.

PayPal gave you a VERY easy way to prevent any of this kind of drama: just ship to the address on the PP account. boom. done. you're protected. instead, you chose to ship to a different account, and then put the burden on PP to make sure that the non-PP address actually belonged to the buyer. that would require them spending time talking to you to get your side of the story, them trying to get in touch with the account holder, them investigating on their own, possibly paying to have their attorneys file subpoenas to the US Post Office to confirm that the non-PP address (i'm guessing it was a PO box) was registered to the same account holder. seems like a crappy way for them to earn their 5% or whatever commission, all just so you can avoid having to ship to the registered address. they gave you a cost-free way to protect yourself and you chose not to utilize it. don't blame them for not wanting to spend tons of money just because you chose to do A instead of B. as a libertarian would say, people need to take more personal responsibility for their actions, and not expect to be bailed out at every turn.
no one is forcing you to sell things on the internet. you can sell things locally, just like people always have. take an ad out in your local paper. support your local paper! you're choosing to sell on the internet because you can demand a higher price due to the larger number of potential buyers, so just accept that you're going to have to play by someone else's rules.

also: look into dwolla.

Pardon my French here, but what a bunch of BS.

Did you read what I wrote? The buyer got the goods, I got the money. Where's the freaking problem? That's the whole point: Even in a transaction where both parties were satisfied, PP still found a way to eff it up and threaten me. Sheesh. Before you go off, you should read what I wrote. In the end, I was right. PP admitted it and paid me money for my trouble, not that it was worth it. Lordy. My point was, and is, it takes heaven-and-earth to move these guys. And no, FWIW, it was not a PO Box. It was a physical address. At the guy's office. Where he works.

No, no one is forcing me to sell things on the Internet. But, come on. You and I both know how the modern marketplace works. If I had to rely on the small market where I live, I wouldn't sell anything.

Instead of being so contrarian, you should maybe actually read what people are saying instead of going off on pre-conceived notions and digging your heels in. You think what happened with EV is right? You think that PP did the right thing?

PP sucks. Deal with it.

Last edited:

datsunfan

Reaction score
I had a pretty good day yesterday. I found 5 Eton shirts in like new condition. All 45/17.75 and available.

I also picked up an older Corneliani. It's a 58R, unvented, and available. It's 50% cashmere/50% silk and probably one of the softest fabrics I've felt.

Finally, a PSA. The 2 Nordstrom Rack stores in town have had a bunch of Levi's selvedge in the jeans clearance section. If you've got one in your area you might want to stop in and check it out. They had (I bought most of them to flip :spam:) a lot of Made in USA 501s, 505s, and 511s along with selvedge Heshers that were made in Turkey. Most of the 501s and 505s were the "rigid" wash.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Instead of being so contrarian, you should maybe actually read what people are saying instead of going off on pre-conceived notions and digging your heels in. You think what happened with EV is right? You think that PP did the right thing?

PP sucks. Deal with it.

speaking of people needing to "actually read what people are saying instead of going off on pre-conceived notions and digging your heels in," are you sure EV said that his brother sent to the confirmed PP address?

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some real serious law talking going on up on this *****

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

speaking of people needing to "actually read what people are saying instead of going off on pre-conceived notions and digging your heels in," are you sure EV said that his brother sent to the confirmed PP address?

No, I'm not sure. But I am sure about what I said. Are you?

dexconstruct

Reaction score

how many of these stories about PayPal supposedly ripping sellers off are actually stories about sellers who 1) chose not to follow PayPal's "here's how to sell safely" requirements, and did things such as sending to non-confirmed addresses, 2) got ripped off and weren't protected because they chose not to follow PayPal's guidelines, and 3) complained after the fact about PayPal screwing them?

if a seller chooses to send to a non-confirmed address or whatever, they're making a calculated risk: "i could turn down this sale because the buyer wants me to ship to a non-confirmed address. but i really don't want to lose this sale." if that's the case, PayPal is not at fault, the buyer is for refusing to use the safe selling guidelines. and i say this as someone who got scammed out of ~$1,000 in a single transaction about 8 years ago. learned my lesson, never had a problem since.

also: can't believe grown adults whine about arbitration clauses in contracts. if someone doesn't like a company's terms of service, they're free to a) find a company whose terms they like better, or b) start their own competitor company with better terms of service and take over the bad guy's market share. if someone doesn't like PayPal's TOS, they're free to use MoneyGram, checks sent via mail, meeting up locally to do a cash exchange, etc. if those are too inconvenient, see options 1 and 2. otherwise, use the service and NO WHINING.

edited for rant clarity

Please sir, tell us what we are allowed to whine about! You are in charge right?

For someone yet to go through a terrible PayPal experience, these horror stories are an invaluable resource. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not all bad over at PayPal.

1. Last year the fraud dept saved me $2500 transferred by a hacker.

2. Just today I got $280 reimbursed by the PIP for a lost brioni sc.

Thing to remember is, every company has its flaws, as well as its qualities. Fortunately for Paypal, the latter greatly outweighs the former.

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please sir, tell us what we are allowed to whine about! You are in charge right?

For someone yet to go through a terrible PayPal experience, these horror stories are an invaluable resource. Thanks guys.

Invaluable or not, conversations about PayPal and eBay really don't belong here. Try the eBay thread.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found skeet rag #2 today... Looks like #2, but you know what these things are worth... Don't mind the picture, the shirt is black on black.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all due respect mexecutioner, if you file a chargeback it doesn't matter how confirmed the address is, your still screwed PayPal will not accept responsibility to fight the cc company it's their dirty little secret. As for my brother he was naive and didn't ask before shipment but get this, there was no address attached to his PayPal! That's right PayPal allowed someone to open an account send and receive goods without a ******* address! Also I have pms from that bastard telling me where to send it and I offered the proof to PayPal, hell the bastard even posted in the thread acknowledging it was his po box but it was miraculously stolen for a week with his forum name and password, and guess what this thief also happened to have his affinity for Tom ford and gosh! They wear the same size!! Oh the humanity! All those ***** in PayPal had to do was investigate like they say they do , here's the kicker the package was insured and I have signed copy from the scammer fuckface that he picked it up an get this! He also had to show id.... So in summation it's an open and shut case but for PayPal it was an open and shut case but for the scammer. So please save me the corporate bullshit a scammer is a scammer and they hold their hands along with PayPal, I've been the subject of chargebacks before and there's no happy ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads