1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Wes lol

Maybe took a day off shaving for new years.

Did you get the Zegna suits or no?

3. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Nah, but they were dated DBs so I didn't fight too hard. Also, I'm a wuss.

1 person likes this.
  4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I didn't leave the house today. I SWEAR.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Cool piece, I like vintage Browning stuff. I'd say this one dates from the early to mid 70's. Love the buttons and the quilted yokes.
    This. Saw that GW had a big 50% off sale today. Decided to sleep in. Not worth battling the crowds.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Recent Finds & Updated Photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

I just ran 6 through 3 inches of snow and a minus 8 windchill. Was going to do more, but I'm kind of a wimp.

8. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Warning: AVERT YOUR EYES! Don't look directly at the lining!

Never come across a Robert Graham coat before. Now that I have, I'm not sure I wanted to.. When I clicked "Submit" on the photos, I had to seriously ask myself if I was submitting anything offensive or not.. :) Functioning buttons on the cuffs. Made in India? No content tag in the pocket. People wouldn't fake these would they?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Pretty sure that's legit. I sold one on The Website That Shall Not Be Mentioned for a decent sum.

2 people like this.
  10. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

11. DanM

DanM Senior member

I have no fear of 50% off days. From the same store, yesterday and today (50% off sale):

Navy Brooks Brothers blazer and a Tom James navy pinstripe suit...
    [​IMG]

with Holland and Sherry fabric.
    [​IMG]
    Hermes, 2x Robert Talbott BOC, Luciano Barbera, 3x Brooks Brothers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also grabbed a pair of Clarks wingtips for casual wear - fantastic support and great for being on my feet all of yesterday evening.

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Wow!

Damn, that actually happened to me once when I kinda wandered off down the racks leaving my basket about 10 feel away. Some guy was checking out my chambray shirt I left in the basket which I took off because the damn store was like a sauna. But I just said, "Excuse me, that's mine (with a smile)." All was good. Ever since after that, I do the "take a step, shuffle the basket a foot" routine. Now, there was another time some Gaucho was standing in the middle of the aisle blocking my way. Even after two "excuses me's" he didn't even budge. I was so heated that I played the scenario of me elbowing him in the back of the head in my mind for like 10 times, then I felt better. [​IMG]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! If we ever make a thrift thread related movie, we must include that in there!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  13. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

14. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

15. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

Didn't venture out today, spent the day cooking for wife and kids and getting through some ebay backlog. 50% days are ok at some stores but there are others that just get insane lines and traffic that it isn't worth the hassle. I do make a point to hit those high traffic stores the day or two after the big sale as they usually restock with lots of new shit :)

1 person likes this.
  16. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

One time this fellow flipper was on the shirt rack. I finished the suits, ties, and shoes and I was tired but decided to rummage the shirts because I found a bunch of great stuff. As I started on the other end of the rack from him, he came over and asked me to wait till he was done. I told him "sure no problem" as I pulled a Borrelli shirt and kept flipping through.

2 people like this.
  17. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

its super easy to e thrift epaulet (sorry matt) because when you search "epaulet" you just get a bunch of h&m euro douche club shirts with epaulets on the shoulders, after a few search engine trickeries you can find the good stuff for very little dosh

ALSO SHOUT OUT TO LEFTOFTHEDIAL AND FACEOFBO FOR HOOKING IT UP WITH SOME THINGS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR FOR DAYS

18. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I've never found any Attolini - sucks that it was trashed, but you did the right thing - take pics and move on (sort of like catch-and-release).

Definitely a J. Crew worth picking up! And there ain't too much worth picking up when it comes to J. Crew - nice find.

I traveled north today, but nowhere near NY. Sounds like a sick fu*k.

Legit - seen a rack or two of them at Neiman Marcus Last Call. Most of the pricier RG stuff is made in India.

Took advantage of the day off to do some shopping...passed on an A.P.C. toggle duffle coat (over-priced and had some schmutz on the collar) - first time seeing one, but it was a wise pass. Did grab these (many photos - spoilered):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might be fake, might be real - feels like cashmere or a cashmere blend, but no tags...:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Velveteen fun jacket for me - linty as hell - gonna bring it to Vegas (just booked a trip for March):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously Paul Stuart, but I don't know anything about Stuart Ltd...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This thing is a beast; has a number of small holes but it's honest wear & tear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With liner - yay!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The label that came up recently - I hadn't seen it either until today.

[​IMG]

Bought because it looked cool as hell - turned out it was a decent grab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ Gucci looks fake.

BB Sweater looks delicious. Hnngghhhh...

Sweet outerwear scores.

20. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Thanks - Gucci may well be fake...but definitely not acrylic or all wool - has me stumped. Eh - I'll keep it - was cheap.

The BB cashmere cardigan is nice - yep! The store saw the content tag and priced accordingly - boo...

Finally some nice outerwear grabs...well, Barbour etc at least - hadn't seen much lately, and passed on a Liddesdale today that had a cigarette burn I caught in the check-out line thankfully.

My fave is the Paul Stuart cashmere scarf - thick as hell - must be 4-ply as I've never handled anything that thick in cashmere before. Unless you count that one tranny in San Francisco, but that's a different thread.

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.