1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Awesome - you truly are an encyclopedia. I'd pass this on to you but it's also a Small and (almost) fits me and will fit me better once I drop the holiday weight in January. Definitely has some stains and scrapes but at $5.99 I couldn't say no - can't imagine finding one deadstock though - freaking awesome :slayer:.

1 person likes this.
  2. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Thanks man! Yeah, hang onto it and enjoy it. I love the style with the snaps rather than a zip front. Nevermind what I said about resale value earlier. I hadn't looked up Comfy for about 4 years. Looks like they do well these days. Maybe just because this is a bigger size? Who knows. Seems like the others up people want an arm and a leg for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COM...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I still have the tags and receipt in a shoe box (call me anal; I keep all the tags and stuff from anything I bought new or that had them when I bought them). I was just getting into vintage outdoorsy stuff and this as one of my early finds. Among other stuff from my early days that I can remember was a burnt orange cordura daypack from Class 5 (lost on a hiking trip years ago), a Early Winters miniature lantern (sold) and a Marmot Mountain works down sleeping bag from the late 70's which I still have.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, I'm apparently incapable of using spoilers properly on the phone... I thought I edited and fixed it too!

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

All teed up for my return to the office Monday. Only variable is if it's super cold I may need to go heavier/cashmere. Here's a teaser
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Dibbs42R/mysize...
    Finding the bags totes makes up for the fact that they're not brown.
    Westillloveyoubro

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Well-Known Member

totes mcgoats

1 person likes this.
  6. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Totes

Tote bags

Shoe bags.

[​IMG]

What I did there -- did you see it?

1 person likes this.
  7. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

So much stuff I should post, so little time. Miss you guys! Hope everybody had a good holiday. I'm so ready for 2014. Many good finds lately. Keep killing it

4 people like this.
  8. ridethecliche

@GMMcL

Daww thanks :)

I hit up two shops today and didn't buy a single tie. Not one orphan sportcoat or even a tie!

Also, thanks for the lesson about H. Freeman and sons! I stand corrected that they're not defunct!

I found two interesting things today:

1) Hardy Amies blazer.
    It looked like a cheap jacket and wasn't made in the US, England, or Canada. Felt like it had to be licensed out. The fabric had polyester in it. Pass!

2) Gieves and Hawkes blazer sz 46. The tag looked really familiar and it was made in the USA. For a second I thought I was holding a hickey freeman based on how things were labeled. Then I did some research and found out that Hickey freeman did make stuff for them in the US. I wanted to grab it but I found a small hole. Bummer.

LOOK AT ME GO GUYS I FIGURED SOMETHING OUT BY MYSELF!

Also, shoutout to the GW for pricing a women's gloverall at $35.... My first gloverall and I had to pass. Same with a couple of PRL sweaters and jackets. At 20-30 bucks a pop? No thanks, especially since they were not in my size. They were all larges or XL's though (including a medium that fit like a L). Oh well...

1 person likes this.
  9. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If you havent, bookmark (I actually have teh photos stored on my phone). SO much info in this thread - HOF: Labels, heels and nail patterns - Secrets to ID the maker

10. LeSacre

LeSacre Well-Known Member

Post it! Post it! I wish I could thrift KC more often. I found better stuff in one short morning than I have in Wichita in awhile. It's been pretty dry here.

EDIT: HAPPY B-DAY BARRELL!

1 person likes this.
  11. ridethecliche

How do I search within that thread for brand names? Is there a way to do that or do I have to search the thread through google?

12. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Wish I could get a day off from work to hit it up as well, I've had Christmas and 1 Sunday off in the month of December and had plans to take a couple days off to do an all day thrift trip. So jealous of you guys, miss the smell of moth balls, sweaty balls.

13. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Well-Known Member

I've peaked at the thread through out the day and it looks like everyone is killing it! I can't wait to give the last few pages another look.

Here is some pickings from Indianapolis. Today I was in Louisville but only got to hit 4 stores due having to have my car serviced most of the day :( Im in Nashville now if anyone wants to throw me some tips ;)

EVERYTHING N/A FOR THE TIME BEING AND I APOLOGIZE ABOUT THE HORRIBLE MOTEL BED SPREAD

Top: Vineyard Vines X3, Middle: Richard Chai/Bill's Khakis/Burberry Brit, Bottom: Robert Talbott Carmel/Burberry London
    [​IMG]

Top: Uniqlo red linen/ancient Gant end on end popover with collar wear I could not leave behind, Topman/vintage LL Bean bandana shirt
    [​IMG]

Recent FF Zegna wool,Bill's Khakis M2P,Diesel cords
    [​IMG]

NWT Vanishing Elephant suede vest
    [​IMG]

Corneliani Wool/Cashmere
    [​IMG]

Vintage Brooks Brothers Madras 7 fold tie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also found a vintage Hickey Freeman Glen Spray tweed topcoat with hacking pockets but I forgot to pack a hanger :bored:

1 person likes this.
  14. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

been dry for me this week, maybe things will change next!
    just like barrel found some "meh" items that i passed on

15. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Shouts to GMMcL for being a dope guy, that is all.

Stuffs from the past few days...

Canali(15.5), Zegna(15.5), Zegna(N/A)
    [​IMG]

PRL, PRL, Liberty Challis
    [​IMG]

Hickey, Paul Stuart, T&A
    [​IMG]

Loro Piana(L), Brioni(M)
    [​IMG]

Saint Augustine Academy (Its a random Australian SW company)
    [​IMG]

Hella old Hugo Boss linen popover for myself
    [​IMG]

PRL made in italy cords (34)
    [​IMG]

DOPE Custom Andover shop by Samuelsohn SC (44)
    [​IMG]

AND MY FAV! So mad its too big!!!!! (46)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

LSO HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARREL!

1 person likes this.
  17. edwardthefirst

edwardthefirst Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Barrell!!!

Thrifted OC today. Super dry... The worst I've seen it. Best thing (only thing really brag worthy) were Cole Haan bench made in England black oxfords in about an 8D I think. Should have pics up in a bit.

18. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

:drool: :thumbs-up:

19. sn0wman

sn0wman Well-Known Member

Don't tell the guys in Phoenix, but I had a free day and took my four sons up for a manly day of thrifting. Had a lot of fun and found some interesting things:

Dooney & Bourke Leather Satchel/Briefcase - I sure hope this is for a guy. Not finding much of their stuff made for guys...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Belts: I must have missed the part where belts start saying where the animals came from and such...

Java Lizard from Java Island (no name for Nordstrom)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But interestingly enough, the text format looks very similar to this Trafalgar (Box boarded Italian calf?)

[​IMG]

Coats/Suits:
    Lagerfeld Homme - Never seen this label before, but I liked it a lot. Not finding much on research except ties.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found this sweet Ben Sherman suit in an almost perfect size, but missed two small mothholes.. Now to decide whether to fix and tailor...
    [​IMG]

Corneliani Grey coat:
    [​IMG]

Shirts:
    Richard James - New label for me, but loved the shirt.
    [​IMG]

Eton tux shirt with interesting texture
    [​IMG]

Shoes:

Salvatore Ferragamo in 9 1/2 B
    [​IMG]

Nettleton in 8D
    [​IMG]

Found these English Peal slippers for Brooks Brothers in a Florsheim Imperial Shoe bag: (sz 10)

[​IMG]

Ties:

Brioni
    [​IMG]

Bruno Marchesi (new in box)
    [​IMG]

Burberry London
    [​IMG]

Stefano Ricci
    [​IMG]

New label for me, but I really liked it: Sartori
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Had this crazy dream that I thrifted a Tom Ford shirt. Woke up and tore through the past week's haul, but it was sadly a figment of my imagination.

Speaking of the past week...

[​IMG]

There's some Eton, J Press, and Brooks Brothers in there, as well as my first Bottega Veneta tie. Oh, and I thought this was pretty cool:
    [​IMG]

Immaculate condition as was everything else from that particular trad dead gentleman. When I got back to the 'Nati, I found this waiting for me:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It'll work perfectly with the color palette I've been using the last couple weeks. Thanks Spoo!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.