1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Not thrifted, but I ordered this for myself today.....custom made from thrifted tweed. Won't be this exact one...mine is being made to order. Hopefully the seller will have another Wesley Clothes label or at least a Harris Tweed label to go on it. If not, I will just add my own.

Here is the LINK to the sellers page....

It will be a few weeks before I get mine, I will report/review the bag for all who are interested.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    5 people like this.
  2. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Senior member

Thanks. I know it was a good pass. I was just considering it because I have a soft spot for camel hair polo coats and it's very rare that I find them. Also, when you find them in good condition, they fetch nice prices on the bay. Oh well...I've still been doing well lately. Pics soon.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Key words there: 'good condition'

Moth holes imply the opposite. Totally agree with sparrow.

I feel the same way sometimes honestly, but the more I've gone the easier it has been to put something down after thinking about it.

You definitely have more regret when you have to redonate something or just stare at it while it sits and no one wants it. Especially if it doesn't fit you!

4. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hate to ask, but legit?

1 person likes this.
  5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Fake x fake

There is a fake thread also somewhere

7. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Awesome.

8. Magician Shaun

Magician Shaun Well-Known Member

Best score yet for me. I was checking out a couple of Marshalls that have a lot of high end sport coats and blazers right now. The have Brioni, Canali, Zegna, Brunello Cucinelli, Luciano Barbera Sartoria, and of course crap like Nautica and Donald Trump Signature suits all mixed together. About 98% of this stuff is on clearance. There are Barbera for $400, Cucinelli for $500 etc. They all have these red tags on them. I found this Ermenegildo Zegna mixed in with some similar colored Tommy Hilfiger Jackets. The Tommy Jackets were originally $99 and were marked down to $29. Someone miss priced this Zegna the same as the Tommy Hilfiger Clearance. I figured there was no way I was getting this jacket at that price, I mean you could see the original non clearance price ($699), but the Thrift/Discount Gods were with me today!

[​IMG]

The best part about it is that it is my size. The sleeves are unfinished and the buttons are in the pocket. The original retail tag is also in the pocket. There is basting thread through the shoulders. I am so torn between keeping this and making some extra money. I do like it and I really want to keep it. Please tell me, what would you do?

2 people like this.
  9. ridethecliche

The best part about it is that it is my size. The sleeves are unfinished and the buttons are in the pocket. The original retail tag is also in the pocket. There is basting thread through the shoulders. I am so torn between keeping this and making some extra money. I do like it and I really want to keep it. Please tell me, what would you do?

Buy all of them and proxy some for us!

I'm dead serious if there are any in a 38-40, then I am all over that shiz!

Edit: Ah, nvm it was just one...
    Well, here's what I would do. I would either trade for something else I was looking for (maybe a couple of good SC's) or see how much you might get for it and what you could buy with that. I.e. if you can sell the SC and buy 2-3 other well made SC's that fit you well, then I think it would be worth it. If it's just one, then maybe keep it. You can't go wrong keeping it honestly. I'm not a huge fan of that pattern though, but that might be due to lighting and not seeing it in context of a fit.

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Hate to ask but would you please provide all the deetz when asking for authentication? Prada looks fake. The Bur looks fake, too. If you want 100% certainty need to post all the thread approved deetz.

11. ridethecliche

What are the deetz! Curious minds want to know. I'm guessing all labels, stitching, and...?

12. Magician Shaun

There are many on clearance but this one was an accident. They were all in the $300-$400 range. If they stay there a few more weeks they may get down to $150-$200 in which case it will be hard not to get a few...

I check back a couple of times per week there. Who knows.

13. ridethecliche

I saw 330CK's post with the sizing and all his give-aways (@330CK you're awesome!).

This led to a question about sizing. He listed multiple jackets with a 17.75-18 shoulder, but with very different chest sizes. Is this common? I'm trying to understand this a little better, but it's weird to see jackets with a 17.75 shoulder but a 44 chest. I have that shoulder measurement and I wear 38-40's.

Is this usual or are the two often just unrelated? I don't think the latter is likely. I just looked up some charts and it looks like they scale up together.

14. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Different maker different cut

15. ridethecliche

By that much? Jeez. No wonder sticker size means nothing between brands...

16. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

Seeing you are a newer member that in a prior thread was asking questions about building a wardrobe from the ground up I would caution you against making many purchases just based on brand, or thinking something is a good deal based exclusively on price-point and/or brand. I'd recommend figuring out what looks good on YOU first(from a fit perspective, be it zegna, corneliani, canali, bb, etc). This will save you a lot of money in the long run. Something on the rack can seem a great deal, but it isn't if it just sits in your closet unworn.

1 person likes this.
  17. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Yes, pretty much.

18. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

You guys might appreciate this:

My gift for my my twin bro. He needed new dress shoes, and knows/cares about as much as you'd expect a 19 year old to know/care., I expect these shoes to get thoroughly abused.

I e-thrifted a pair of Bostonian Crown Windsors in a brownish tan...

BEFORE! :D
    [​IMG]

...And proceeded to antique them with all of the sophistication of a 5-year old fingerpainting.

I used so much conditioner that I actually gave the shoes moisture stains, which I proceeded to incorporate into the patina by blending in a metric fuckton of cordovan-colored cream polish. When he inevitably DOES get them wet, they'll already have aesthetically pleasing stains to blend in with. Finished with two crude coats of wax in a british tan and a pair of vintage hinge-style shoe trees (not pictured)

AFTER! :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

He loves them :)

6 people like this.
  19. ridethecliche

THOSE ARE AWESOME.

I might have to copy that for a pair of beater shoes I have to make them look nicer! Maybe they'll end up in regular rotation again!

20. Magician Shaun

Thanks, I appreciate your advice. I personally liked the Zegna and at $29 I had to buy it. Sorry for the vulgarity in mentioning price but I dont think that anyone would disagree that a brand new with tags Zegna in your size for that price is a bad buy.

I also haven't gotten a lot of advice on the help thread but what I have gotten I appreciate and took to heart. I suppose my request was not simple though. My current plan is to purchase some good quality clothing that will not clash with my Purple/Lavender branding colors and that fits well. I have managed to pick up two Hickey Freeman Suits, one at a discount store and one at a thrift. Both are charcoal with patterns, one silver and gold pin stripes and the other a check pattern that is not noticeable from far away. I am comfortable with them and feel like they are a good start to my working wardrobe.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thrift/discount program.

[​IMG]

That's the Zegna Jacket. Please forgive the tie, I know it doesn't go with this jacket but I do like this for a more casual jacket.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.