• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

46n2

Reaction score
Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is a more reasonable thrift fit of what I wear day to day vs the sf approved blazers and ties I wear on here when I normally post a thrift fit
minor threat shirt-ebay
apc new standards-barrel
common projects achilles-ebay
any of you guys hitting up the menswear meetup in san francisco next thursday I was told there will be a liquor sponsor for those of you of drinking age...

Don't make me post a thrift fit of my running clothes (I'm about to head out the door to run commute to a swim workout)...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Oh, I missed the white label. That's definitely women's. I know nothing about the women's stuff from Pendleton. I did see one in a thrift store a month ago or so and left it.

woodchuck312

Reaction score
Good grief been sick for the last 4 days haven't thrifted at all but have had the pleasure of dealing with international nutcases.

That is it no more international dealings for me on ebay. Too much hassle.

Got a guy in England flipping out on me because he is being charged a $15 custom fee and is blaming me and now he is going to refuse to pay it and have it shipping back to me
cloud.gif
expecting a full refund of course.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Yeah, international sales are too much hassle.

I sell on ebay to make money, not piss it away.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Mad shady and deserving of public shaming, if true.
Quote:
nest.gif
How is this even possible???

spam[1].gif

FYI - A box arrived today from a SF member with 11 items. Got home at 6pm, took photos of all 11, edited photos, and listed 4 of the nicest items by 9pm. How do you expect people to send you stuff if it takes you weeks, let alone MONTHS to list stuff?

HOT Hugo Boss Tuxedo Black 1 Button Satin Unvented Mens Jacket Pants US 38 R

RARE Brooks Brothers Donegal Tweed Plaid Sport Coat Blazer Jacket Mens US 44 R

HOT Oxxfod Clothes Gray Plaid Red Chec Sport Coat Blazer Jacket Mens US 40 41 R

$995 NWT MISSONI Orange Labe Wool Cotton Sport Coat Blazer SLIM EU 50 US 40 R

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good grief been sick for the last 4 days haven't thrifted at all but have had the pleasure of dealing with international nutcases.

That is it no more international dealings for me on ebay. Too much hassle.

Got a guy in England flipping out on me because he is being charged a $15 custom fee and is blaming me and now he is going to refuse to pay it and have it shipping back to me
cloud.gif
expecting a full refund of course.

1. You have no return policy.
2. Customs fees are not your problem.
3. Tell him to toss off.

woodchuck312

Reaction score
1. You have no return policy.
2. Customs fees are not your problem.
3. Tell him to toss off.

1. no such thing as no return policy on ebay unfortunately.
2. already stated this, but this guy is obviously an idiot.
3. i'd really love to but i really don't want to have to eat the international delivery charges if he has it returned to me and opens a case.

Brianpore

Reaction score

woodchuck312

Reaction score
1) Return policy means nothing
2) Ebay sides with the buyer if he does not have the item in his hand
3) Expect negative feedback after you are forced to return all his money

This is the WRONG forum for this conversation!!
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

Ebay questions should go HERE - Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

lol sorry internet hall monitor, pretty funny since you just were talking about Ebay and posting links to ebay ads 4 posts up by hey whatever lol

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nest.gif
How is this even possible???

spam%5B1%5D.gif

FYI - A box arrived today from a SF member with 11 items. Got home at 6pm, took photos of all 11, edited photos, and listed 4 of the nicest items by 9pm. How do you expect people to send you stuff if it takes you weeks, let alone MONTHS to list stuff?

HOT Hugo Boss Tuxedo Black 1 Button Satin Unvented Mens Jacket Pants US 38 R

RARE Brooks Brothers Donegal Tweed Plaid Sport Coat Blazer Jacket Mens US 44 R

HOT Oxxfod Clothes Gray Plaid Red Chec Sport Coat Blazer Jacket Mens US 40 41 R

$995 NWT MISSONI Orange Labe Wool Cotton Sport Coat Blazer SLIM EU 50 US 40 R
Spell Oxxford wrong....might fix that one.

Brianpore

Reaction score
Quote: a) just trying to help you out so you get more responses and a good back and forth conversation going about ebay stuff which will get lost in this thread. Also, it helps other members out when you talk about it in the ebay tips and tricks thread so they can read about it and again not get lost in the thrift thread.

b) my reference to ebay items was "SPAM" as clearly marked and was due to the response to DM7's comment. NOT out of the blue for no reason

carry on...

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both Unionmade and M&S have great end of season sales, and since you aren't a tall beanpole like me, your sizes will likely still be in stock when the sale comes around. Unionmade, however, only does semi-annual, one in February and one on sometime in the fall.
Ahh cool! That's great information! Thanks!
BnT great post. I agree on the duck canvas. The West is Dead chinos are all made of duck canvas, I tend to wear them as much as my denim. I want to make a trip to SF but my fiance says I would spend too much, she's probably right lol.
Thanks bro! Man, I coped a pair of WID duck canvas chinos. Those are lighter than the ones I saw at Taylor Stitch but super comfortable and more durable than the PRL ones I have. I think I'm gonna start rocking duck canvas with a SC and a tie. Dude, if you are ever planning on going to SF, hit me up!
great post, Denim can be really interesting. and small shops are always worth sharing.
Thanks bro! When you get down here, we'll go hit those places up!
Just a heads up, NM Last Call is currently running an additional 50-65% off clearance sale. I check their website weekly and that's about as good as it gets, and doesn't happen that often (correct me if I'm wrong). Off Saks is also doing an additional 50% off clearance. Definitely a chance to get some nice stuff at a huge discount, and there's undoubtedly flip potential, too.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Quick Thrift(Clearance) fit

Jacket: Joseph Abboud (When I worked at Nordys this was a commissioned MTM unlined jacket that was never picked up. Literally fit with no Alts for $20)
Shirt: Brooks Brother (Christmas Sale)
Tie: Hermes (Thrifted)
Pocket Square: No Name handrolled in Italy (Thrifted)
Pants: Nico & Luca (Zanella Modern Cut Brand, bought at discontinued price for 80% off retail)
Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thrift fit, just got this vintage BB mid gray flannel sack back from the tailors, courtesy of Tubs.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Everything else is also vintage BB including the braces and shoes. And before you guys jump on me for wearing braces with belt loops, I'll be taking those off myself later tonight.
nod[1].gif
Still getting used to the whole high waist trouser thing though.

That is sooooooooo bad ass! This is the look I want!

What am I looking at here?
You are looking at a passable shirt.
Hey Nat, I'm feeling the vintage sportswear synergy.

This is from what I've seen elsewhere on the interwebs a 1950s A&F shooting jacket. Badass, super heavy wool.

That is so awesome! If I had that and in my size, I would rock it all the time!
Awesome! Man, you California members are so spoiled with all those cool shops. We have a few SW&D-ish boutiques here, but nothing that really carries high-end tailored stuff anymore.
fistbump.gif
cheers.gif

I RARELY find suits or sports coat is my own size, but last night I got lucky. Found two bespoke jackets made in the 80s by a tailor in New York. Fully canvassed, handsewn, Surgeon's cuffs, double vents. And they fit me nearly perfectly. Unfortunately, they look to have been packed up for like 20 years, and one ended up having a bunch of holes. It was a SWEET purple/blue/black tweedy silk. The one I ended up keeping is gonna go down the street to Rave Fabricare for cleaning and pressing.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you kinda look like Sponge Bob in that...LOL jk jk, I tend to look like SB in my jackets.
lol8[1].gif

Congrats on finding good fitting stuff in your size!
here is a more reasonable thrift fit of what I wear day to day vs the sf approved blazers and ties I wear on here when I normally post a thrift fit
minor threat shirt-ebay
apc new standards-barrel
common projects achilles-ebay
any of you guys hitting up the menswear meetup in san francisco next thursday I was told there will be a liquor sponsor for those of you of drinking age...

Hmmm, please tell us more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics