• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
peepwall[1].gif

Pictures make a big difference. I had a some sitting for months and with a change up of pictures a few sold within a week.

dexconstruct

Reaction score
Thrift fit, just got this vintage BB mid gray flannel sack back from the tailors, courtesy of Tubs.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Everything else is also vintage BB including the braces and shoes. And before you guys jump on me for wearing braces with belt loops, I'll be taking those off myself later tonight.
nod[1].gif
Still getting used to the whole high waist trouser thing though.

Hey Nat, I'm feeling the vintage sportswear synergy.

This is from what I've seen elsewhere on the interwebs a 1950s A&F shooting jacket. Badass, super heavy wool.

It's more like late 60s/early 70s, but that thing is amazing.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, for the last 2 days, I went to The City aka SF for 2 nights of Seder. Went to a few awesome SW&D shops within 5 miles radius.
This is what I've discovered. 1 stop at Selfedge. http://www.selfedge.com/ My god, that place was super clean and had racks of Japanese denim like Sugar Cane, 3sixteen+, and The Flat Head, so on. Super nice denim! They had 3 pairs of beautifully faded jeans framed on that walls that were donated by various people. One of them was the VP of The Flat Head.
2nd stop. Unionmade. http://www.unionmadegoods.com/ This store was super huge compared to Selfedge. They had great heritage products from hair care to Aldens. Staff are super helpful. Tons of selection. Super expensive. The cheapest item I've found was a LVC raw denim shirt that was $215. RRL denim was actually fairly affordable at $240. RRL work shirts, made in Singapore $330!? Woa! I've come to realized how much I've been spoiled by this thread and thrifting. I've gotten RRL shirt in great condition for $5 a pop. Anyhow, they had slightly used Aldens shells for $640. I think those were returns. Anyhow, I went there mainly to try on a few pairs of Tellasons. I was so impressed by the quality of the denim that I prefer their Cone Mill, SF made products over Japanese denim. If any of you gents are interested in Tellason, please check them out and get hooked like I am! Super quality denim at the price point.
LL
3rd stop, Sui Generis http://www.suigenerisconsignment.com/ They are a super duper consignment shop who knows their ****! So, no RLPL for $25. Super curated store that looks like a museum. All of their products are well taken care of and are in great condition! I was so blown away by the experience, I forgot to take pics. lol Anyhow, too rich for my blood, so I left shortly. 4th stop, MAAS & Stacks http://www.maasandstacks.com/ Love their minimalist but super stylish shop. It's a small shop that's been around for only 2 years. They specialize importing Japanese SW&D brands. They also carry SF approved brands such as BoO (I really dig their stuff), wings +horns, Norse Projects, and others. Being there has really gave me a strong first hand experience of what quality street wear is. I felt in love with a NP shirt with crazy prints, the exact opposite of the versatile and subtle approach of what BoO's designer, Scott Sternberg takes. Almost pulled the trigger on it at $175...
5th and final stop, Taylor Stitch http://taylorstitch.com/ I wasn't too impressed with their denim, shirts, and accessories but was surprised to see Southwick does their MTM program and they also have MTM shoes, boots, and shirts. Makes sense giving their name. lol Finally found a pair of 16.5 Tellason in Ladbroke Grove fit. That is the fit I've been looking for in that particular weight since I've outgrown my NnF Skinny Guy Elephant 2's...=( Anyhow, they don't carry Tellason's newer lines...=( Anyone familiar with Duck Cotton pants or Duck Canvas pants? TS carry those and wow, those pants took a page from denim and make their fabric with weft and warp resulting in super durable, thick, but comfortable pants! No pics but think chino like pants at around 14 oz! Before leaving the shop I ran into these adorable little guys.
Japanese handkerchiefs! Coped this guy figured I can use them for PS. lol
Anyhow, I was being good and didn't thrift. We are leaving for our vacation soon and didn't want to spend more money and clutter up the house further. lol Also, is was in TS that I was hit by the notion that I shall stop rolling or over cuffing my jeans and just do a slight cuff and stack the rest which translates to no hemming. This experience really has opened my eyes to the awesome world of fashion and slapped me across the head with the reality that there's another world out there besides the thrift scene. If anyone of you gents are near The City or are planning or thinking of coming here, please stop by The Missions and Castro to check out these awesome shops! You will be glad you did!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Awesome! Man, you California members are so spoiled with all those cool shops. We have a few SW&D-ish boutiques here, but nothing that really carries high-end tailored stuff anymore.
Hey Nat, I'm feeling the vintage sportswear synergy. This is from what I've seen elsewhere on the interwebs a 1950s A&F shooting jacket. Badass, super heavy wool.
:fistbump:

Last edited:

dexconstruct

Reaction score
I RARELY find suits or sports coat is my own size, but last night I got lucky. Found two bespoke jackets made in the 80s by a tailor in New York. Fully canvassed, handsewn, Surgeon's cuffs, double vents. And they fit me nearly perfectly. Unfortunately, they look to have been packed up for like 20 years, and one ended up having a bunch of holes. It was a SWEET purple/blue/black tweedy silk. The one I ended up keeping is gonna go down the street to Rave Fabricare for cleaning and pressing.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what to make of this?

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also forgot a mad shout out to S_allen_P, he found/proxied these killers for me
Cole Haan... Made in England. Normally I'm a 12W but with some heel pads, these are going to do just fine.
Sweet Jesus!!! :drool: :worship: I've been combing ebay for just the right pair in snuff suede for the last couple months, nothing yet though.
Is that the old-school 346? Looks like it. I have one and dig it to the max.
Nope, makers. I've also got a vintage golden fleece navy pinstripe from the same guy, also from Tubs, that I dropped off when I picked this beaut up. ^^^^^^Dudes, that Norfolk jacket and suit are awesome! :slayer:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I RARELY find suits or sports coat is my own size, but last night I got lucky. Found two bespoke jackets made in the 80s by a tailor in New York. Fully canvassed, handsewn, Surgeon's cuffs, double vents. And they fit me nearly perfectly. Unfortunately, they look to have been packed up for like 20 years, and one ended up having a bunch of holes. It was a SWEET purple/blue/black tweedy silk. The one I ended up keeping is gonna go down the street to Rave Fabricare for cleaning and pressing.
Dude, that's a gnarly beard you've got there. :slayer:

TheBurnOut

Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One from Hans' neck of the woods (Fitz-Pichler Wool, made in Tyrol, Austria), which I passed on because it's a women's piece from the 80s. But it's still cool...

Last edited:

46n2

Reaction score
Some stuff from the past coupla weeks All these bee available

1950's Pendleton 49er jacket leather buttons SZ M but fits L

Gieves& Hawkes SS SZ L

NWT Hilt "BritLook" 38/38 unhemmed

Filson SS SZ M

3X NWT Ivory Incotex Inside 40 X 35.5

PS-I hope you get your dough back EV.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here is a more reasonable thrift fit of what I wear day to day vs the sf approved blazers and ties I wear on here when I normally post a thrift fit
minor threat shirt-ebay
apc new standards-barrel
common projects achilles-ebay
any of you guys hitting up the menswear meetup in san francisco next thursday I was told there will be a liquor sponsor for those of you of drinking age...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics