The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

AE Bentons, my size: $2.99
    [​IMG]

Wow. $2.99 is ridiculous for the condition those are in. I've picked up AE's for $5 before, but $3? Bravo.

2. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Good day today.

Alden for Jos A Bank 682 penny loafer
    Bruno Magli wingtips
    Brooks English perf captoe
    Moreschi ventilated brogue captoe with medallion

3. wcl

wcl Senior member

It has been a few days of near misses. A Corneliani DB Camel Overcoat with nibbles on one of the front quarters. 8 Isaia shirts in my size. All with blown out collars. A righteous T&A with contrasting collar and barrel cuffs. Unfortunately they put the price tag through the left collar point[​IMG] On the plus side I did score.......

[​IMG]

BB cotton trou in an orange mini gingham. It will make some golfer or Vols fan very happy. Also a pair of NWT Maus & Hoffman Tartan pants. And an older BB Pink OCBD. What a roll!

4. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Great Jay Farrar quote....huge Son Volt fan here.

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

8 Isaia shirts in my size. All with blown out collars.

Owch! This would have had be going [​IMG] for the next few weeks!

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Good story. Behold the power of SF.

A few weeks ago I found a pair of lightly worn AE bit loafers at a small independent thrift. I had them up on the counter to pay for them when I noticed that the heel caps were different. Wait a minute, the layout of the AE embossing is different. The shoes were not mates, in spite of being the same size, brand and color. I suspect that someone was walking around with a subtly mismatched pair of bit loafers. Make that two people, because the next time I went back they were gone.

High Level Thrift Meeting

Some may recall my recent find of new Alden suede chukkas (currently wearing them). A few weeks earlier I also found a pair of new Alden pebble grain chukkas, but in size 9A, which was too narrow for me. I had those for sale in Buying & Selling. Yesterday I received a PM from fellow thrifter mainy who found an identical pair of new pebble grain Alden chukkas. However, they were a mismatched pair a 9A and a 9B. He asked me to check mine. Sure enough, mine were also mismatched, which I hadn't caught. Today we had a thrift shoe exchange at Starbucks. He was kind enough to let me have the 9Bs, which will fit me. Now the mismatched pairs are properly matched, and it's all because of Style Forum.

Thanks, mainy! (He looks just like his profile pic!)

7. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Found a nice Dark Navy Charvet Place Vendome belt... Too bad it is a size 48[​IMG], everytime I find nice stuff its never my size. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shortening a belt isn't an extraordinarily difficult or expensive job for a cobbler.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^^Definitely have that shortened. Won't cost much.

10. jobro

jobro Senior member

^^Definitely have that shortened. Won't cost much.

What are you talking about!? A cobbler would never take on such a job. May aswell just list it in B&S.

[​IMG]

11. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Yeah Im going to put it in the B&S forum hopefully I will stumble upon something else that is perfect for me... Fingers Crossed.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

What are you talking about!? A cobbler would never take on such a job. May aswell just list it in B&S. [​IMG]
    What are you talking about? Why wouldn't they? If they wouldn't, then look for another cobbler.

13. srivats

srivats Senior member

High Level Thrift Meeting

Some may recall my recent find of new Alden suede chukkas (currently wearing them). A few weeks earlier I also found a pair of new Alden pebble grain chukkas, but in size 9A, which was too narrow for me. I had those for sale in Buying & Selling. Yesterday I received a PM from fellow thrifter mainy who found an identical pair of new pebble grain Alden chukkas. However, they were a mismatched pair a 9A and a 9B. He asked me to check mine. Sure enough, mine were also mismatched, which I hadn't caught. Today we had a thrift shoe exchange at Starbucks. He was kind enough to let me have the 9Bs, which will fit me. Now the mismatched pairs are properly matched, and it's all because of Style Forum.

Thanks, mainy! (He looks just like his profile pic!)

Awesome! What are the chances of that happening !!

Please do share photos [​IMG]

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Found a nice Dark Navy Charvet Place Vendome belt... Too bad it is a size 48[​IMG], everytime I find nice stuff its never my size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOICE

15. BrunoPuntzJones

BrunoPuntzJones Member

What are you talking about!? A cobbler would never take on such a job. May aswell just list it in B&S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just bought 3 Testoni belts for $30 each in size 48". I need them in a 37" or so and taking a blade to them tomorrow. Nothing difficult about shortening a belt. Only problem with the ones that are sewn are having a strong enough machine to sew leather. If you don't have one, a cobbler or saddle shop can do it for $10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.