The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found a beautiful Zegna houndstooth check sportcoat today. Side vented, 3 btn front. Sadly it's a US 40 S. Oh well....more thrifts to hit tonight. Gotta bring the better half along, boy that's gonna be fun (She haaaates thifting, thought she seems happy when I buy her something. As long as she doesn't have to go with).

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

High Level Thrift Meeting

Some may recall my recent find of new Alden suede chukkas (currently wearing them). A few weeks earlier I also found a pair of new Alden pebble grain chukkas, but in size 9A, which was too narrow for me. I had those for sale in Buying & Selling. Yesterday I received a PM from fellow thrifter mainy who found an identical pair of new pebble grain Alden chukkas. However, they were a mismatched pair a 9A and a 9B. He asked me to check mine. Sure enough, mine were also mismatched, which I hadn't caught. Today we had a thrift shoe exchange at Starbucks. He was kind enough to let me have the 9Bs, which will fit me. Now the mismatched pairs are properly matched, and it's all because of Style Forum.

Thanks, mainy! (He looks just like his profile pic!)

3. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior member

Some may recall my recent find of new Alden suede chukkas (currently wearing them). A few weeks earlier I also found a pair of new Alden pebble grain chukkas, but in size 9A, which was too narrow for me. I had those for sale in Buying & Selling. Yesterday I received a PM from fellow thrifter mainy who found an identical pair of new pebble grain Alden chukkas. However, they were a mismatched pair a 9A and a 9B. He asked me to check mine. Sure enough, mine were also mismatched, which I hadn't caught. Today we had a thrift shoe exchange at Starbucks. He was kind enough to let me have the 9Bs, which will fit me. Now the mismatched pairs are properly matched, and it's all because of Style Forum.

i actually teared up a little bit. i love happy endings :)

4. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

THis is awesome, that you guys were able to do this. Of all the tea shops in China, or rather thrift shops with Aldens.

Those suede chukkas look awesom btw.

5. mainy

mainy Senior member

THis is awesome, that you guys were able to do this. Of all the tea shops in China, or rather thrift shops with Aldens.

Those suede chukkas look awesom btw.

Yeah, it was pretty awesome. My thoughts went from, "sweet, aldens!" to "NO THEY ARE MISMATCHED" to "hey I wonder if alan has the matching shoe" to "HEY he has the matching shoe!".

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the magic of styleforum. Also, I am pleased to report that after a face to face meeting I can confirm that Alan is not a member of the dreaded "iGentry".

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow, this is awesome! I wonder if those shoes came from the same donor. Good to hear the correct shoes were reunited [​IMG]

7. ninetofivereject

ninetofivereject Senior member

(playing the song...)
    reeeeeunited,and it feeeels soo gooood...nan nnanan nanan

8. gilbertkeith

gilbertkeith Active Member

That story was inspiring.

I discovered a chain of thrift stores I hadn't known about here in Montreal. They're all over the place. Tomorrow I shall hunt at a few of the locations. Muaha! [​IMG]

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Scored a superb vintage cashmere overcoat, made in England, ticked collar and pockets... almost as nice as that one Moo scored from that consignment shop.

I've also had a SUPERB run of sweater finds. Found a vintage black super thin wool I Magnin, vintage orange alpaca wool cardigan, Benetton, cashmere David Chu, vintage cashmere Neiman Marcus, merino Saks 5th v neck, a great B Brothers (made in England) cable knit, wool + cashmere PRL, merino wool PRL and more I cant even remember.

I also found a 100% alpaca scarf, and a cashmere scarf.

Oh, and a pair of Ruehl jeans.

10. ninetofivereject

ninetofivereject Senior member

That story was inspiring.

I discovered a chain of thrift stores I hadn't known about here in Montreal. They're all over the place. Tomorrow I shall hunt at a few of the locations. Muaha! [​IMG]

and they are? i visit montreal once a year would be nice to pop in[​IMG]

11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Bit better luck today, although nothing spectacular.

Mastai Feretti shirt, which is a perfect fit. Pair of E Zegna navy slacks and a (probably fake) Hermes purse. I copped the latter in case some lady wanted it and was not too proud. Turned out she didn't . Oh well.

Pants don't fit me, so I bought them to flip. Anyone interested in VGC solid navy Super 100s worsted slacks? Size 36 x 29 (EU 52). Double pleats and uncuffed. Made in Portugal (Incotex?)

12. gilbertkeith

gilbertkeith Active Member

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found some nice shirts tonight. Two custom Turnbull & Asser Sea Island Cotton dress shirts both from 2002. Also found a very cool reverse-seam casual shirt from Obedient Sons.

I also came across a beautiful pair of trousers (orphaned) from Dunhill Custom made by Zegna. Unforunately, they were a size 60L. They were new, though. Never hemmed.

[​IMG]

14. anon

anon Senior member

15. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Found some nice shirts tonight. Two custom Turnbull & Asser Sea Island Cotton dress shirts both from 2002. Also found a very cool reverse-seam casual shirt from Obedient Sons.

I also came across a beautiful pair of trousers (orphaned) from Dunhill Custom made by Zegna. Unforunately, they were a size 60L. They were new, though. Never hemmed.

[​IMG]

great!! Sea Island Cotton is great......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.