• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Klobber, weird, the server won't let me directly comment on your post. Anyway, that is one hell of a power suit! :slayer: It looks like an extra inch in the sleeves would be just about right. :nodding:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ Klobber, weird, the server won't let me directly comment on your post. Anyway, that is one hell of a power suit! :slayer: It looks like an extra inch in the sleeves would be just about right. :nodding:

I agree with this (actually both parts, I couldn't quote Klobber either?). Certainly we'd all be more confident if we knew the scale for sure, but it looks to me like an inch would be enough to make it look fine.

Unless it was just something that happened for the camera, you might want to have him look at the trousers too. Something is going on causing them to gather pretty badly. My completely uneducated guess would be there's not enough room in the seat for them to drape, but you'd want someone who has a clue what he's talking about to look at them.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I allowed to do my first ever thrift fit if I don't have a full length mirror?

My best fitting thrifted jacket. No alterations whatsoever, I'm pretty happy with it!

Jacket: Norman Hilton Super 90's Merino Lambs Wool (Thrifted)
Tie: Balenciaga (thrifted)
Shirt: Brooks Brothers Christmas sale
Belt: PRL (Marshall's clearance)
Pants: Canali flannel slim fit but with a 5 pocket stance... weird. I added big FU cuffs to them too so they are statement pants. (The Rack clearance)
Shoes not pictured: Allen Edmonds Fifth Street (retail
shog[1].gif
)

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I allowed to do my first ever thrift fit if I don't have a full length mirror?
My best fitting thrifted jacket. No alterations whatsoever, I'm pretty happy with it! Jacket: Norman Hilton Super 90's Merino Lambs Wool (Thrifted) Tie: Balenciaga (thrifted) Shirt: Brooks Brothers Christmas sale Belt: PRL (Marshall's clearance) Pants: Canali flannel slim fit but with a 5 pocket stance... weird. I added big FU cuffs to them too so they are statement pants. (The Rack clearance) Shoes not pictured: Allen Edmonds Fifth Street (retail
shog%5B1%5D.gif
)
Nice look! That tie is fantastic, as is the jacket! The crotch shot, not so much. :uhoh:

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score
Here's a couple of jackets I have that are just a little too small for me that I got at thrift stores:

A Zegna DB

A chocolate corduroy Brooks Brothers jacket.

Both are in awesome condition. Available. I wear a 44R and these are smaller than that. Someone asked for the sizes. The Zegna was supposed to be a 54R (EUR) but it must've been tailored and now it's a 41 or 42 Short (American). I can take measurements for either jacket. The BB is labeled as a 42R (I think) but it was also tailored. The tailor ticket was in the pocket from 2010.

Last edited:

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a situation, a member of the forum has scammed my brother out of $2300 (tom ford suit and pants) he had him ship it to a po box and then filed an unauthorized payment with paypal as soon as he received it. i have pms with him directing me to ship it to the po box, but paypal doesnt seem to care, anyone have any ideas?
figured you guys have experience with these kinds of scams through ebay

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a situation, a member of the forum has scammed my brother out of $2300 (tom ford suit and pants) he had him ship it to a po box and then filed an unauthorized payment with paypal as soon as he received it. i have pms with him directing me to ship it to the po box, but paypal doesnt seem to care, anyone have any ideas?
figured you guys have experience with these kinds of scams through ebay

That is seriously depressing. You hear about this crap on eBay but a fellow forum member? That's below low. Sadly, in my experience, both PayPal and eBay will protect eh buyer in most cases. I'll let others chime in but I had to at least give my apologies for your misfortune with a shady dealer.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that the suit? That could help with PayPal!

no he got the suit on march 20th and filed the unauthorized dispute the same day

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no he got the suit on march 20th and filed the unauthorized dispute the same day
ffffuuuu.gif
That ******* blows man! My guess is he's done this a few times. If you scroll through his pics, he suddenly started masking out his face. Probably to avoid proof that it is indeed him wearing the scamstolen goods.

Last edited:

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ffffuuuu.gif
That ******* blows man! My guess is he's done this a few times. If you scroll through his pics, he suddenly started masking out his face. Probably to avoid proof that it is indeed him wearing the scamstolen goods.
i have the pms to prove that he requested the shipment plus proof linking his forum name to his real name, I pmed fok so maybe he can share an ip address and prove the pms are really sent from him, Im so pissed that this was a forum member, ebay i understand, but a member whos been around for a year is really surprising.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
If sent to a PO Box then you used the US Postal Service, right? File a mail fraud complaint with the US Postal Inspection Office and let him (the buyer) know that is exactly what you intend to do. Mail fraud is a federal offense which, if he really is a lawyer, he will understand. He will also understand that he will be disbarred if found guilty. I would also try and locate the law firm he works for and notify them of your mail fraud complaint. I would also tell him of your intent to do this. That might be a bit too much for him to risk. Just a thought. If the PO Box is his or is used by him the Postal Inspectors will be able to figure that out very quickly. I would also let Paypal know you are filing a complaint with the Postal Inspectors and ask them to hold off making any decision until the PI's office chimes in. I know my pops did that with a guy once and he changed his tune very quickly, like within an hour of being notified a claim with the Postal Inspectors was being opened. It was a miracle! Suddenly, the secretary from the office next door had signed for, received, and was "holding" the item for the guy claiming he had NEVER gotten it. Not an expert, but I am told that the Postal Inspectors might be the one section of the US Postal Service that truly knows what the are doing and LIKES what they are doing, that is, arresting people!

http://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads