• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honey, I'm home! Back from vacation in CA. A little lot depressed today since I went from

to

in a matter of hours.

Theres two ways that I can thrift, with out without my wife (who loves thrifting, bless her heart, the reason the ring is on the finger).

Thrifting in San Diego was not overly great as I had hoped, but did result in half a handful of decent items (to be shown later). This was due to a few out of the ordinary factors.
Out of town/vacation Thrift Tip:
  • If you intend to visit multiple stores in a new-to-you area, never take your sister and your wife along. I waited an average of 45 minutes to move to the next store, while waiting for those two to try on everything in the store.
  • If you are required to take them along, hit some stores solo in the morning while they are getting ready. My sister took until 12:45 to get ready to go. Who the hell goes thrifting at 12:45!!?? Lol.
  • If you have to go thrifting at 12:45, make sure the two women eat lunch before they go! We hit exactly one store before we had to sit down at a restaurant.

It was frustrating for sure, but I had to keep reminding myself it was vacation....and not only vacation, but it was their (sister and wife's) birthday.
Overall we had a blast, eating great food, meeting great people, bike riding, boating, soaking up the rays......and a shitload of drinking.

Unfortunately I have no vacation thrift fit as planned. I intended to take my vintage midnight blue tux, but our formal event was cancelled since none of the other guys could come up with anything to wear. THEN, we got invited to a 50's themed wedding reception in Catalina!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I wish I packed the tux....
ffffuuuu.gif
. Of course the girls were dressed to the hilt. I was stuck wearing my same old Harris Tweed SC with jeans. We almost couldn't get in because we weren't formal enough. Still not sure how we got in with jeans on. The reception was in....

Everyone was swing dancing. It was awesome. They had one member of the Platters (current incarnation) on stage with the swing band. Then they topped that by closing the night with about 8 songs with

We got to meet him afterward, kid doesn't speak or understand a lick of English, outside of what he sings.

Very impressive (unbelievable to an amateur like me, really) what you guys are able to find. I was pretty pleased with myself for getting this Oxxford SC for $30 recently

Apparently e-thrifted from Spoo

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
"Hey, a Band of Outsiders French maid outfit for $2.98. Wanna try it on?"

Spoo, Wes: I know what you're saying. I used to totally agree having those people (kids, wife etc) with you (or once, my elderly mom waiting in the car, talking on the cell phone) made thrifting suck. Wasn't resentful, just...wished I had more time to "do it right."

Last half-year or year I'm kinda coming around to the point of view that quick 15-minute hitters with family in tow -- we were out on an errand run anyway or whatever -- actually help prevent the thrifting from robbing me of quality time I should be interacting with loved ones. Left to my own devices, it's almost OCD how I rake over a store, usually after the first 15 minutes its diminishing returns as I wish for Vicuna and never effing find it anyway.

Still, I bust out for all-day solo runs about once every 3 months to "scratch the itch." But my activity's way scaled down from, say a year and a half ago. Thrifting smarter, not harder, I guess. Buying way less shite, too.
--------------------
Speaking of snow, it was 95% gone yesterday. WTF we're getting up to 18" today -- here's the halfway point of the storm, looking out my door:

--------------------
Made one last stop off on the way home from work last night before this monster storm. Found an ugly as f#&k orange Hermes tie Spoo's bidders gonna love but I can't in good conscience trade to any of youse because although as I said earlier this year it's not my job to make the world a more fashionable place, I might have nightmares of future Fit Pics with that thing. So it's more an act of self preservation. Anyone who might say "Pics or it didn't happen" just watch SPoos auctions next month for Hermes ties. The orange one with the abstract white thistle/dandelions going to seed pattern that looks like someone vomited in a bowl of orange sherbet....that would be the one.

Reason I'm poasting today:

BRIANPORE this is a BB, FU, 36R, about 4 decades old, I can circle back and pick up (might not be back in this store for a week but I'm imagining it will still be there). Heh. I think I know your answer, which is why I didn't bring it home in the first place.

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Most of the album was pretty much crap (except LVL and ghetto symphony) however fashion killer is hands down the worst song

I don't disagree with you on the lackluster content, especially after all of the delays and mounting hype. That said, the production is killer and the singles are fantastic. I have to support my dude since he's the only mainstream hip hop artist toeing the avant fashion line and he seems to bring others with him (Kendrick, Drake, Yeezy).

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Hey, a Band of Outsiders French maid outfit for $2.98. Wanna try it on?"

That might work where you thrift, but in my neck of the woods, if you substituted "Walmart" for "Band of Outsiders" your odds would increase considerably.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Speaking of snow, it was 95% gone yesterday. WTF we're getting up to 18" today -- here's the halfway point of the storm, looking out my door:

censored.gif

BRIANPORE this is a BB, FU, 36R, about 4 decades old, I can circle back and pick up (might not be back in this store for a week but I'm imagining it will still be there). Heh. I think I know your answer, which is why I didn't bring it home in the first place.

fistbump.gif
Thanks! Not for me though (and prob too big and long, more like a 38R if you measure it out due to the age/cut)....but you might get a few PM's from other people in the 36/38 range who would jump on it.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that what you look like when you're checking out the chicks in the boutique section?

My head is not actually connected to my body so ... yes!

John Varvatos lightweight cotton bomber (Goodwill)
Eddie Bauer 1/4 button shawl collar (Goodwill)
PRL flannel b/w plaid shirt (Savers)
PRL chinos (Goodwill)
Columbia (who knew?) belt (Savers)
Clarks (England) single monks. Water spots since it was damp out.(Savers)
B&L Rayban Wayfarers (bought from tben)
Pic edited for unknown reason.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

That's just plain sick. Demented sick. I have this vision now of a thrift-store troll lurking around every corner...

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
I bet we've already scared off the one female poster. Dang, and she started off with such a great brag.
Gonna take more than some corny pick up lines to get rid of me
lol8[1].gif
Not like I've never used pick up line before.... "So, what does it feel like to look so good?" ...
facepalm.gif

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quickly checking in then turning SF off for the day so I can actually get some effing work done. Fully expect to find 150 posts when I log back in much later tonight. So thanks in advance for that. :fu: My attempt at a Rob/NYI-inspired fit.
Harris Tweed Brooks Brothers cardi from 330CK J Press ocbd from Concealed; by the time I figured out the pink hue was a major mistake it was too late Nino Cerrutti wool glenplaid tie; I've never give this brand the time of day, but this tie was kinda cool and entirely moth free Unknown cotton square TJX belt, brand unmemorable Hiltl trou NWOB, vintage Lloyd & Haug custom made shell PTBs. Yes, they're a size 12. But since they're narrow, they'll do just fine.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quickly checking in then turning SF off for the day so I can actually get some effing work done. Fully expect to find 150 posts when I log back in much later tonight. So thanks in advance for that. :fu:
Harris Tweed Brooks Brothers cardi from 330CK J Press ocbd from Concealed; by the time I figured out the pink hue was a major mistake it was too late Nino Cerrutti wool glenplaid tie; I've never give this brand the time of day, but this tie was kinda cool and entirely moth free Unknown cotton square TJX belt, brand unmemorable Hiltl trou NWOB, vintage Lloyd & Haug custom made shell PTBs. Yes, they're a size 12. But since they're narrow, they'll do just fine.
Tie pattern's a bit close in scale to the coat but you just keep getting better and better. That's pretty much awesome sauce in a jar.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got back on the wagon quickly after hitting only a few sucked-dry stores over a 6 day vacation.

Here is a sneak preview of the lunch time goodies.....

Schott Bomber

Old Label Burberry Mac

Baracuta Four Climes Harrington

Black Park Aves - insoles are oddly pitted, exterior is great....go figure.

Old Label Hickey Freeman Suit - Gray Broken Herringbone with Red windowpane

Florsheim Beefrolls

Finally the "Tweed Guy" finds some tweed luggage. Now I can "Travel the World with Tweed" too.

Vintage Obermeyer lightweight coat. Any of you outdoor wear guys know anything about this one? I'm thinking 60s

Last edited:

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
Any guys here a 9-9.5 B (I think it's a B. There are 2 Letters. One says E, other says B?) or a 10 B? I found some Church's in those sizes. The pair on the left is a braided tassel loafer in the size 9-9.5 B. The pair on the right is a monkstrap in the 10 B. I still need to polish them and make them pretty. Will post pictures later, if there are any takers!

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sweet!
EXTRA Sweet!!

I have a Hartmann ballistic nylon carryall. I've yet to find an actual suitcase. Congrats.
Couldn't have found it at a better time too. When we landed at BWI last night, the logo emblem and 3 wheels were missing off my largest vintage American Tourister bag. Part of a 5 piece set, exactly like the ones below.

$T2eC16RHJI!E9qSO8m7tBQuKI(knUQ~~60_35.JPG

Kinda bummed about that. I constantly get compliment on the set when we travel, not to mention, it is so easy to spot on the baggage claim carousel, surrounded by a sea of black roller bags.

If I wind up keeping the Hartmann, I certainly won't be using it for air travel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads