• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchuck312

Reaction score
This weekend my fiance went with me and we hit a few places. At one shop I found 4 Turnbull and Asser shirts all in staple colors (2 white, 2 blue stripe), only to realize that 2 of them had holes
ffffuuuu.gif
The other 2 only had a snag (all in the same spot, weird) so I bought those and they gave me 50% off, and ended up giving me the 2 with holes for free since she was just going to throw them away. I also got a nwot recent Brioni tie, recent BB tie that's nice looking, and a rubinacci tie at the same spot. I found a few other items but nothing really worth bragging about. I did, however, put some of my thrifting profits to good use. We went to RL on palm beach island and I picked up an awesome black label suit in a great blue color that fit me like a glove. It felt odd paying full retail for something after I'm used to complaining about a GW charging more than $20 for a suit, but it was nice to treat myself.

Hah i find myself getting really cheap now as well. Going back and forth making a decision to buy a suit at GW that is priced at $25 instead of my usual $15. Kind of funny when you realize that even $25 would barely get you a dress shirt at JC Penney.

I had a great thrifting weekend, picked up 6 suits, J Press, BB, Pal Zileri some AE shoes and the best piece of the weekend

RRL Slevedge Japanese Denim jeans look unworn and fit me like a glove. Was about to spend some big money on ebay to get a pair for myself, and what do you know it is staring me in the face this weekend for $7 lol.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah i find myself getting really cheap now as well. Going back and forth making a decision to buy a suit at GW that is priced at $25 instead of my usual $15. Kind of funny when you realize that even $25 would barely get you a dress shirt at JC Penney.

I had a great thrifting weekend, picked up 6 suits, J Press, BB, Pal Zileri some AE shoes and the best piece of the weekend

RRL Slevedge Japanese Denim jeans look unworn and fit me like a glove. Was about to spend some big money on ebay to get a pair for myself, and what do you know it is staring me in the face this weekend for $7 lol.

wow.gif
got anything in a 40s in those suits?
mwink[1].gif

LeSacre

Reaction score
This weekend my fiance went with me and we hit a few places. At one shop I found 4 Turnbull and Asser shirts all in staple colors (2 white, 2 blue stripe), only to realize that 2 of them had holes
ffffuuuu.gif
The other 2 only had a snag (all in the same spot, weird) so I bought those and they gave me 50% off, and ended up giving me the 2 with holes for free since she was just going to throw them away. I also got a nwot recent Brioni tie, recent BB tie that's nice looking, and a rubinacci tie at the same spot. I found a few other items but nothing really worth bragging about. I did, however, put some of my thrifting profits to good use. We went to RL on palm beach island and I picked up an awesome black label suit in a great blue color that fit me like a glove. It felt odd paying full retail for something after I'm used to complaining about a GW charging more than $20 for a suit, but it was nice to treat myself.
I'm in Kansas City visiting my fiance for the week and I plan on taking her on some thrifting excursions with me. Hopefully I can teach her a few things and she can thrift here for me
stirpot.gif

katch

Reaction score
I took some thrifting $$ and bought the Alden cordovan tassel loafers from brooksbrothers. I think I've reached the point where I can say that the Aberdeen last, no matter the size, is just not for me.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This weekend my fiance went with me and we hit a few places. At one shop I found 4 Turnbull and Asser shirts all in staple colors (2 white, 2 blue stripe), only to realize that 2 of them had holes :fu: The other 2 only had a snag (all in the same spot, weird) so I bought those and they gave me 50% off, and ended up giving me the 2 with holes for free since she was just going to throw them away. I also got a nwot recent Brioni tie, recent BB tie that's nice looking, and a rubinacci tie at the same spot. I found a few other items but nothing really worth bragging about. I did, however, put some of my thrifting profits to good use. We went to RL on palm beach island and I picked up an awesome black label suit in a great blue color that fit me like a glove. It felt odd paying full retail for something after I'm used to complaining about a GW charging more than $20 for a suit, but it was nice to treat myself.

Not to criticize--well, maybe I am criticizing--but why buy a shirt with a hole in it? Whether it's Brioni or TA or Borrelli or RLPL it is, at the end of the day, a shirt with a hole in it. When folks see you standing beside someone else who is wearing, say, a JAB shirt, they're going to notice the hole, not the label that no one can see, and conclude, rightly or wrongly, that the guy in the cheap shirt has his **** together moreso than someone who can't afford decent clothes.

You can repair holes in shirts--I have a CCC that got torn after acquisition that has been repaired--but I'm not sure that it's possible to make things good-as-new. It wasn't with my CCC, and although it was a cheap fix, the flaw will always be visible. Had I seen it on the rack at a store, I would've passed.

My point being, while it can be difficult to resist the lure of the high-end brand, in the end, I'm not sure that getting stuff with holes or other flaws, even if it's free, is a wise move. It's not so much the money as the closet space. Now, if there is really a market out there for shirts with holes, well, that might be another thing. But in my experience, it is tough to move flawed clothing. When I've done it, the margin ended up being so razor-thin as to not be worth the time/trouble. The OP may be in a different position that some of us, which is to say, I would have pulled the trigger on a holey shirt before I built my wardrobe, but now that my closets groan, no.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I read it wrong, or did he get the holy shirts free? Free is kind of a no brainer... At least he can snag the buttons.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Not to criticize--well, maybe I am criticizing--but why buy a shirt with a hole in it? Whether it's Brioni or TA or Borrelli or RLPL it is, at the end of the day, a shirt with a hole in it. When folks see you standing beside someone else who is wearing, say, a JAB shirt, they're going to notice the hole, not the label that no one can see, and conclude, rightly or wrongly, that the guy in the cheap shirt has his **** together moreso than someone who can't afford decent clothes.

You can repair holes in shirts--I have a CCC that got torn after acquisition that has been repaired--but I'm not sure that it's possible to make things good-as-new. It wasn't with my CCC, and although it was a cheap fix, the flaw will always be visible. Had I seen it on the rack at a store, I would've passed.

My point being, while it can be difficult to resist the lure of the high-end brand, in the end, I'm not sure that getting stuff with holes or other flaws, even if it's free, is a wise move. It's not so much the money as the closet space. Now, if there is really a market out there for shirts with holes, well, that might be another thing. But in my experience, it is tough to move flawed clothing. When I've done it, the margin ended up being so razor-thin as to not be worth the time/trouble. The OP may be in a different position that some of us, which is to say, I would have pulled the trigger on a holey shirt before I built my wardrobe, but now that my closets groan, no.

I realize you're Whistleblower Maximus here in the thrift thread, but this detail could lead them to become very high quality skeet rags down the road. I once saw a photo detailing frayed cuffs worn by a person who was otherwise dressed immaculately, with the caption being something like "Earn the frays on your shirt." Perhaps an elegant patch would increase the personality of these shirts. Not to mention that if you're wearing a fine dress shirt, you also likely have a SC over top, thus hiding a good portion of the shirt.

Alls I'm trying to say is that you should probably lighten up in old age and not worry so much about how many shirts someone has accumulated in their lives. Maybe a good amount of us could be featured on Haute Hoarders. Do our small pleasures in accumulating nice things really bug you that much?

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realize you're Whistleblower Maximus here in the thrift thread, but this detail could lead them to become very high quality skeet rags down the road.  I remember seeing a photo once detailing frayed cuffs worn by a person who was otherwise dressed immaculately, with the caption being something like "Earn the frays on your shirt."  Perhaps an elegant patch would increase the personality of these shirts.  Not to mention that if you're wearing a fine dress shirt, you also likely have a SC over top, thus hiding a good portion of the shirt.

Alls I'm trying to say is that you should probably lighten up in old age and not worry so much about how many shirts someone has accumulated in their lives.  Maybe a good amount of us could be featured on Haute Hoarders.  Do our small pleasures in accumulating nice things really bug you that much?

It's not that, and to each his own. And I'm not bugged, per se. The issue is, at least for me, at what point does it become a label hunt as opposed to an effort to build a quality, serviceable wardrobe? Of course you can hide holes, as you say, and of course you can use a patch, which is how I handled the CCC shirt that was torn on my watch. The question is, why do it? If it is true that a shirt without holes is more desirable than a shirt with holes, and it is equally true that there are lots of fish in the sea, why settle for tilapia when there are plenty of Copper River kings to be had?

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score
I bought a jacket (I think it's wool) that has a plaid pattern that I really like. It fits me like a glove. The problem is there rare 3 small holes in one of the sleeves (might be burn holes or moth holes- I don't know). They're really small and I hope they're repairable. I think the material is wool but there isn't a tag in the garment that says what it's made of.
It only cost $3.50 so I figured I't be worth getting it repaired somehow. I have pics of the little holes I'll try to post tomorrow.

Anyone have info on if these types of holes can be repaired?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Orgetorix has had success with Fabric Reweavers USA for reweaving. With patterned sport coats, though, you may be able to get away with just a cheap mending job.

datsunfan

Reaction score

I bought a jacket (I think it's wool) that has a plaid pattern that I really like. It fits me like a glove. The problem is there rare 3 small holes in one of the sleeves (might be burn holes or moth holes- I don't know). They're really small and I hope they're repairable. I think the material is wool but there isn't a tag in the garment that says what it's made of.
 It only cost $3.50 so I figured I't be worth getting it repaired somehow. I have pics of the little holes I'll try to post tomorrow.

Anyone have info on if these types of holes can be repaired?

The holes can probably be repaired. It just depends on whether you are willing to spend the money on the jacket to get them fixed. Try to find someone in your area that does "French Reweaving." You should also search this thread; the topic has been discussed before and some members have posted recommendations of places that have done the work for them. The place that does it here charges around $70 a hole. I think that was in line with others have posted.

FillW

Reaction score
^ Orgetorix has had success with Fabric Reweavers USA for reweaving. With patterned sport coats, though, you may be able to get away with just a cheap mending job.

Thanks, I'll ask my regular tailor about it. Hopefully she'll be able to take care of the jacket.

FillW

Reaction score
The holes can probably be repaired. It just depends on whether you are willing to spend the money on the jacket to get them fixed. Try to find someone in your area that does "French Reweaving." You should also search this thread; the topic has been discussed before and some members have posted recommendations of places that have done the work for them. The place that does it here charges around $70 a hole. I think that was in line with others have posted.

Hey, thanks!

I actually think that I like this jacket so much that I'd pay $210.00 to get it perfect but I'll check all options first. I'm pretty sure it fits perfectly and even feels comfortable as it is so there will be no other tailoring done to it.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible things happened at my GW during my hiatus - they got internet access! I saw a lovely pair of Christian Louboutin heels yesterday - I've never seen them here before. They were in great shape. Except for the $499.99 price tag they were carrying. Geez, what's the fun of that?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Terrible things happened at my GW during my hiatus - they got internet access! I saw a lovely pair of Christian Louboutin heels yesterday - I've never seen them here before. They were in great shape. Except for the $499.99 price tag they were carrying. Geez, what's the fun of that?

Whats the retail on those shoes? Also, who does goodwill think is going to buy those? Last time I checked, your typical goodwill customer walks in expecting cheap used items, not $500 shoes...

Oh well, when they sit on the shelf for a year they might consider lowering the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads